More FCS disposable struts

Unfortunately - I was talked into some rear FCS struts by my local mechanic. (09 Honda CRV 100k miles).

They lasted about 3 years. (Very low miles - maybe 15k max). Now, even on newly resurfaced roads - it hops like a bunny. (I drove my wife's truck for a while and realized how bad it really was).

I can't justify the cost of the Honda ready struts, and don't want to reuse the trash FCS springs.

I'm thinking of throwing some KYB's on the rear - and doing it myself this time. Any thoughts on this plan?

Unfortunately - I was talked into some rear FCS struts by my local mechanic. (09 Honda CRV 100k miles).

They lasted about 3 years. (Very low miles - maybe 15k max). Now, even on newly resurfaced roads - it hops like a bunny. (I drove my wife's truck for a while and realized how bad it really was).

I can't justify the cost of the Honda ready struts, and don't want to reuse the trash FCS springs.

I'm thinking of throwing some KYB's on the rear - and doing it myself this time. Any thoughts on this plan?
That's what I would do, I think the rear is pretty simple to replace with quick struts. I can't say I've ever wore a kyb strut or shock out, they seem to go until the rest of the car is scrapped in my use anyways. 6-7 years and 80-100k miles is my record so far.

+1 KYB, if I had to use a quick strut they would be my choice, I prefer OE mounts and OE or Lesjöfors springs and Bilstein shocks/stuts. FCS are the cheapest Chicom crap right out of the box, poor mounts with garbage bearings, poor spring rates just poor quality overall. Worth 5c a pound for scrap when new.

Just put a junkyard 2009 strut on front right of a 2007 Camry, $35, ...thinking this is what I should have done for my 2004 Sienna which got an aftermarket of probably FCS, from Rock Auto, about $100. Spraying penetrating oil early and often is the other tip, the sway bar link fought until the cut-off grinder was implemented.

Pretty sure my Lexus gs350 uses kyb as the oem strut mfr. 82k miles and it’s consistent and tight. i had a set of gr-2s year ago and they were Great. They were a little stiff for my tastes at first but then settled very nicely.

Those FCS are some terrible shocks/struts. I did a 2004 CTS with those all around The 1st sign of them being a bargain shock was the awful paint job and the 2nd warning flag was that the rear shocks wouldn't go on without modifying the top bracket that didn't line up right. The went on and drove ok. I worry she might only get a year or 2 out of them. The customer supplied these parts and was on a tight budget otherwise I would not have chosen them.

Looks like that was from 2013.

Hopefully they have improved since then, or else OReilly is going to have some warranty issues with their MasterPro (Sensen) line they sell.
I threw a set of MasterPro front struts on my Escape and they’re, well, better than the blown OE strut on the driver side which made my car sit wonky and bounce all over. I threw a set of KYB shocks on the back at the same time. Fit and finish on the MasterPros was great. And they were cheap. And we had them available fast. But I’m probably going to order a set of KYB strut assemblies or go OEM. Because they are already feeling a tad bouncy. Don’t have time or interest in dealing with it right now though and I can wait as long as I want… Because lifetime warranty and then I also have lifetime alignment package at Firestone.

We don’t warranty many compared to how many we sell. We sell a lot! Some do come back both on the commercial side and retail. But I think a lot of people don’t notice that they go bad since it’s gradual. It’s just a faster slope of going bad vs the original parts.

All I’m trying to say is, the MasterPro struts are OK and if you’re willing to swap them out every few years, not a bad buy. But if you have to pay labor and/or alignment each time they go bad, buy something better.

Thanks all. I'm annoyed because I asked the guy to use decent parts, so I wouldn't have to do this again. (Even told him I would pay - was not looking to cheap out on the bottom of the barrel). I didn't even know FCS until I received the bill.

All four tires were replaced at the same time - wondering if I could possibly have a tire issue as well. (Again, no name brand I don't recognize).

Not looking to bash shops - but this is why I try to do my own work.

anyone ever bought from CARiD? I'm having a bit of trouble sourcing new KYB shocks.

Back