Model S Plaid eats the wall at Nürburgring

This past week has been industry test week at the Nürburgring, where all the manufacturers come out to play with their new toys and get some testing done.

Tesla and BMW went and screwed it up for everyone. A BMW M8 had a pretty spectacular high-speed impact with a barrier, causing the car to roll, throw debris all over the track, and require barrier repair. Shortly after that was cleaned up, a Tesla Model S Plaid also collided with a barrier, requiring track clean-up of busted parts and barrier repair. By the time the track was back into condition, only two additional cars made it out for hot laps for the day. Rain on the following day meant testing was over.

The next industry testing time is later this fall which presents less than ideal conditions for performance testing, with frequent rains and low temps that never suit all-out laps.

Of particular note was GM, who was there testing the Corvette Z06 in various configurations. Their opportunity to set a final hot lap was pulled out from under them, continuing a streak of epic bad luck at the Ring. For five years with the C7, they never released an "official" Ring time because of one thing or another: Track condition, rain, equipment issues, or crashes.

Tesla and BMW Crashes Foiled a Corvette Z06 Nurburgring Lap Attempt

Edit: I meant to post this in Automotive General Topics. I was checking the Electric Vehicles to see if it had been posted there already and created the thread here. My bad. Please move if necessary.

I saw another new Vette yesterday in town; it was dark grey. Simply stunning. And the sound... O.M.G.
Shortly after I saw a Taycan pulling out of a parking lot; it was an odd pale blue color... Nice grocery getter.

Production EV record.

According to Elon Musk, the Track software should be coming soon (to unlock the full 200MPH?). Also says Tesla doesn’t have the “bandwidth” to do more track focused models. Aero, ceramics, tires, etc and that the 3rd party companies could do that.

I’m guessing there could be a “Tesla Approved” track package from Unplugged Performance - similar to DINAN and BMW’s old relationship, or what AMG used to be to Mercedes.

Tesla did give Unplugged Performance a Plaid Model S before it was released to the public to make their Pike’s Peak race car, so Tesla trusts them to some degree

Last edited:
The top speed is limited to 163 MPH I believe. On a track like Nurburgring, I am not sure top speed above that is super beneficial, as the track is full of sharp curves. But the brutal acceleration out of those curves benefits the Plaid.
Maybe a set of wheels and tires? I imagine the brakes took a beating.

I also have to believe there is a lot more in this car. Musk likes to sandbag...
The prototype Plaid was about 10 seconds faster, I believe.

I wonder what the Roadster 2 will do, if and when it arrives?

I saw another new Vette yesterday in town; it was dark grey. Simply stunning. And the sound... O.M.G.
Shortly after I saw a Taycan pulling out of a parking lot; it was an odd pale blue color... Nice grocery getter.
I saw a new Vette yesterday with its owner driving like a crazy man. That thing was backfiring like crazy.
Maybe loose plugs like the one the guy got a new car after the tech got caught racing it???

The top speed is limited to 163 MPH I believe. On a track like Nurburgring, I am not sure top speed above that is super beneficial, as the track is full of sharp curves. But the brutal acceleration out of those curves benefits the Plaid.
Maybe a set of wheels and tires? I imagine the brakes took a beating.

I also have to believe there is a lot more in this car. Musk likes to sandbag...
The prototype Plaid was about 10 seconds faster, I believe.

I wonder what the Roadster 2 will do, if and when it arrives?

There's 2 long sections that are full throttle. One is 2 miles long and goes uphill, the other is not much shorter and the fastest part of the track. Yes, going faster than 163 mph is usefull if you have the power

There's 2 long sections that are full throttle. One is 2 miles long and goes uphill, the other is not much shorter and the fastest part of the track. Yes, going faster than 163 mph is usefull if you have the power
Good. The Plaid is capable of speeds in excess of 200 mph.
Musk is sandbagging.

The 'Ring is a horsepower track, no doubt.

I saw a new Vette yesterday with its owner driving like a crazy man. That thing was backfiring like crazy.
Maybe loose plugs like the one the guy got a new car after the tech got caught racing it???
Probably had some mods that caused it to backfire/pop between shift or during deceleration.

Probably had some mods that caused it to backfire/pop between shift or during deceleration.

No, they are just tuned that way from the factory. My Camaro SS does the same with the NPP exhaust (all factory) and it's extremely easy to make it crackle and pop. Just get up to 3-4K RPM in 2nd gear and shift to 3rd... Or in performance shift mode, it will hold gearing longer which will do the same thing. It's kind of fun/addicting and you don't need to be pushing the car hard at all to do so.

The skill needed to drive a car at150 mph plush is quite high and probably is always at the edge of control.

Back