Mobil 1 or Amsoil XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparisons please. Been using Mobil 1 in my 2008 Corvette with 6.2. Been using Amsoil XL line in my other two gas burners. A 2009 Hemi and a 2010 Gran Marquis with 4.6. Thinking wanting to use the 5w30 Amsoil XL in my vette instead of Mobil 1.

Last edited:
u r actually using both. U should be the ones providing those answers
laugh.gif

It's designed to compete with M1 and the other off the shelf synthetics, so i'd say, yes it should perform the same.

The true question is what conditions is the Corvette driven in and what type of change interval are you looking at?

If you are using this car as a weekend drive and only gets 6k a year with 3k changes, then I would stick with the M1 from a cost perspective since at 3k, they both wear the same.

If you are tracking the car, really extending the OCI or etc...., they you may consider the Amsoil.

The key is to identify your habits and wants, then to figure out an oil to fit.

Car is a daily driver for the most part. Its what I usually drive. It gets banged on some. Its a vette. I put my foot in it when I want to. Oil changes have been within 25% of the OLM. The Mobil 1 for the most part cost me more then the Amsoil.

Last edited:
The two oils are really close in performance on paper with M1 having the slight advantage. That said i personally prefer the XL,just the better choice between the two IMO.
45.gif
If you are already a PC with Amsoil the cost difference is minimal. Shipping throws the costs balance off and is the majority of the gripe with Ams products and i completely understand that but, if you could find a dealer close to home you may be able to drive and p/u your goods and pay a very small percentage of the shipping. I am fortunate enough to get my products less than a 10 min drive from home from a direct jobber with an on hand stock and only pay 2% of the total for shipping fees.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hounddog
Cost is not a factor. What slight advantage does the M1 have over the Amsoil XL line? That what I'm really looking for. Why do you like the Amsoil over the M1?

That is why I asked if the oil was dexos approved. Knowing all the specs may allow you to do a rigorous comparison.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Is the xl dexos qualified?

Amsoil states that XL meets DEXOS-1 requirement in 5W30 grade. I could get XL for less than M-1 I would use it over M-1.

But of course I have not been a XOM supporter for years and I also have let my feelings known about GM lately.

I thought the Amsoil XL line was cerified. Have read on the other oils its not can't afford its a not gonna spend all that money when Amsoil oil exceed the requirments. Now. Back the DIFFERENCE between the Amsoil XL 5w30 compared to Mobil1 5w30?

I thought the Amsoil XL line was cerified. Have read on the other oils its not can't afford its a not gonna spend all that money when Amsoil oil exceed the requirments. Now. Back the DIFFERENCE between the Amsoil XL 5w30 compared to Mobil1 5w30?

Amsoil XL is API certified. No Amsoil oil is DEXOS. No way, no how will Amsoil PAY GM. They could probably afford it, but Amsoil and other oil companies are protesting such a thing.

Difference - performance wise Amsoil XL is at least as good as regular M1. I say "better", but that's hard to quantify. XL seems to hold the edge when looking at UOA's.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Amsoil XL is API certified. No Amsoil oil is DEXOS. No way, no how will Amsoil PAY GM. They could probably afford it, but Amsoil and other oil companies are protesting such a thing.

Difference - performance wise Amsoil XL is at least as good as regular M1. I say "better", but that's hard to quantify. XL seems to hold the edge when looking at UOA's.

I agree with Pablo. Oh lord look out for those flying pigs.
crackmeup2.gif

Not to start trouble. Use the Mobil 1. Amsoil is over rated. I know plenty of people that use Mobil 1 and other off the shelf oils with great results. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back