Mobil 1 5W-30, 6,200 mi, 2017 2.3 EB Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is my 3rd UOA I'm doing to see how the oil fairs in different seasons with the 2.3 EB engine. This one was from 12/5/17 to 5/21/18. This run was during an unusually very cold winter. There were LOTS of remote starts and idling in single digits and very low teen temperatures. I was concerned that would really load the oil with fuel but it did not do it excessively surprisingly. At the time of the oil change the iOLM was reading 42% oil life left. Even though it sheared into a high 20 wt oil viscosity it didn't seem to worsen the wear metals to unacceptable levels. As a recap the first UOA was Mobil 1 5W-30 run for approximately in 3 months for 7,000 miles on long summer high speed travel. The next was a "tweener". It was Motorcraft 5W-30 that I ran it for 4,275 miles from 8/23 till 12/5. This was a one time use of Motorcraft oil as it sheared worse with less miles, 58% iOLM left, than both UOA's of Mobil 1 5W-30 under much harsher usage. I find it difficult to believe that Ford feels it's fine to run a synthetic blend such as their Motorcraft oil or a conventional oil that meets their spec for the full iOLM that seems to trend to 10,000 mile OCI's in their EB engines. But I guess if you don't plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time it doesn't matter, it'll get you through the warranty. We're doing the same the same summer high speed trips again this summer. I used 4.7 qts of Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 SL I had on hand and 1 qt of Mobil 1 5W-30 to make the 5.7 qts I needed. The Mobil HM is ACEA A3 and has an HTHS of 3.5. I thought this would help the turbo DI for high speed high temp driving. So far after 3,600 miles I've not used any oil so I don't think I have to worry about the cat being poisoned. I have many oil changes worth of Mobil 1 5W-30 that I got dirt cheap with their rebates that I'll continue to use Mobil 1 5W-30 especially since it seems to work well with this engine.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

This is my 3rd UOA I'm doing to see how the oil fairs in different seasons with the 2.3 EB engine. This one was from 12/5/17 to 5/21/18. This run was during an unusually very cold winter. There were LOTS of remote starts and idling in single digits and very low teen temperatures. I was concerned that would really load the oil with fuel but it did not do it excessively surprisingly. At the time of the oil change the iOLM was reading 42% oil life left. Even though it sheared into a high 20 wt oil viscosity it didn't seem to worsen the wear metals to unacceptable levels. As a recap the first UOA was Mobil 1 5W-30 run for approximately in 3 months for 7,000 miles on long summer high speed travel. The next was a "tweener". It was Motorcraft 5W-30 that I ran it for 4,275 miles from 8/23 till 12/5. This was a one time use of Motorcraft oil as it sheared worse with less miles, 58% iOLM left, than both UOA's of Mobil 1 5W-30 under much harsher usage. I find it difficult to believe that Ford feels it's fine to run a synthetic blend such as their Motorcraft oil or a conventional oil that meets their spec for the full iOLM that seems to trend to 10,000 mile OCI's in their EB engines. But I guess if you don't plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time it doesn't matter, it'll get you through the warranty. We're doing the same the same summer high speed trips again this summer. I used 4.7 qts of Mobil 1 HM 10W-30 SL I had on hand and 1 qt of Mobil 1 5W-30 to make the 5.7 qts I needed. The Mobil HM is ACEA A3 and has an HTHS of 3.5. I thought this would help the turbo DI for high speed high temp driving. So far after 3,600 miles I've not used any oil so I don't think I have to worry about the cat being poisoned. I have many oil changes worth of Mobil 1 5W-30 that I got dirt cheap with their rebates that I'll continue to use Mobil 1 5W-30 especially since it seems to work well with this engine.

Whimsey

Doing fine … not sure why they’d want to nudge you to 9k on an eb though … pick a conservative number so you can stop paying for UOA at some point …

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Doing fine … not sure why they’d want to nudge you to 9k on an eb though … pick a conservative number so you can stop paying for UOA at some point …

I've been doing these UOA's to try to establish an OCI regiment that is realistic for this new vehicle that will be kept for a long time, as all are other vehicles have been. You're correct this being an EB engine it's better to cautious with the OCI's if you're looking for trouble free engine longevity. Winter/Spring I'll keep it to no more than 6,500 miles. Summer/Fall I feel I can go a bit longer because of summer highway driving and the warm temps. I base this upon my UOA's.

Whimsey

Shearing down to a heavy 20 weight...guess that's ok. TBN is good but flashpoint dropped with only a trace of fuel. IMO another run or two for consistency?

Also, is M1 a think 30 grade to start? Have to take a look at a VOA.....

Hey Robert, just an FYI, if you go onto Blackstone's website and register with your customer number, you can then view your reports and export them in JPEG form without your personal information, with no need for black Sharpie.

Report looks fine, however, since it's an EB and you're changing at a rapid OCI pace, the Motorcraft looks to be up to the task as well, likely at a slight savings with no loss of protection. In summer you may go a little longer with higher temps and longer highway drives, but 6K seems pretty conservative for winter months with the remote starts. I know some people will beat the LSPI drum on the calcium front, but I'm pretty sure the guys at Ford/Motorcraft are smart enough to have oils formulated that won't blow up their engines while under warranty. Two thumbs up for either oil, your 2.3 looks pretty solid!

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: 4WD

I've been doing these UOA's to try to establish an OCI regiment that is realistic for this new vehicle that will be kept for a long time, as all are other vehicles have been. You're correct this being an EB engine it's better to cautious with the OCI's if you're looking for trouble free engine longevity. Winter/Spring I'll keep it to no more than 6,500 miles. Summer/Fall I feel I can go a bit longer because of summer highway driving and the warm temps. I base this upon my UOA's.

Whimsey

I’m a bit surprised the OLM is so “giving” … I’ve never owned a Ford or GM that’s not done at 7k …

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Just a thought ,but isn't that iron a little high for just 6200 miles ? Oh yeah and it's not regiment it's regimen .

Endless micrometers on bricks over PPM and UOA’s… what OEM even calls for them?
(Outside of commercial engines) …
Guys do 300k-400k on Dino and would not know an UOA from used socks …

The highest net mileage member I see here is not posting any … and ask him on what oil much of that happened …

Whimsey, would you be willing to share your thoughts on the engine itself? I believe that is the engine slated for use in the new Ranger and I haven't really heard anything about it. BITOG is the only site I frequent so I'm a bit in the dark.

I'm curious about general performance and fuel economy. Any persistent problems? I don't need high performance, but I enjoy low-end torque and good economy (for a given size/weight).

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back