Mobil 1 10W-30 Tri-Syn in 4.3L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my last analysis from Blackstone (will be using Terry from now on). This is with 2900 miles on my Mobil 1 Tri-Syn 10W-30. Sample is from my 2001 Chevy ZR2 pick'em up with 20,800 miles on it (yeah, its **** near my only source of daily transportation right now
dunno.gif
). Anyway, the silcon was a bit above average and I'm using a K&N FIPK, so I'll have to keep my eye on it. Interestingly, it turns out that I cleaned the K&N right about the time I changed the oil, so maybe that has something to do with it. Unfortunately, I didn't do a TBN analysis with this sample. I've switched to Redline 10W-30 now and will be doing longer drain intervals, especially with the mileage I've been putting on this truck. Note that this is the truck's first oil analysis.

Aluminum 3
Chromium 1
Iron 9
Copper 3
Lead 11
Tin 2
Molybdenum 61
Nickel 3
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 1
Boron 142
Silicon 26
Sodium 9
Calcium 2812
Magnesium 225
Phosphorus 762
Zinc 844
Barium 0

SUS viscosity@ 210F = 59.7
Flashpoint = 410F
Fuel = Antifreeze = 0.0%
Water = 0.0%
Insolubles = 0.4%

The viscosity held up well (it's 10.2 at 100c, so it didn't budge, new for the TriSynth is 10.0) but I wonder why the FP dropped to 410 from 470 new?

And where did that moly come from?

Where did you see that the flash was 470 new? I thought we were just discussing somewhere that the new bottles say "protects up to 400 degrees" rather than the 470 on the old. RW

This was the TriSynthetic Mobil 1 though, which claims to have a flash point of 470F. The new SuperSyn's flash point is 455F.

Yeah, this was the old Tri-Synthetic Mobil 1. On the bottle all it says is "protects at temperatures above 400F", so I guess that's true (but barely
smile.gif
). I was wondering about the moly too - seems out of character for the Mobil 1, which is all I've been running in this truck since about 2000 miles.

The wear metals seem too low for this to be moly from the ring pack.

How may quarts were used for replinishment during this interval?

Is this the SL version?

Could you have inadvertenly mixed some Redline
with the Mobil 1 Tri-Syn.?

The other possibility is that Mobil included some Moly for the SL version if this is the case.

quote:

How may quarts were used for replinishment during this interval?

None, engine doesn't burn any oil and there are no leaks.

quote:

Is this the SL version?

Yes, it was.

quote:

Could you have inadvertenly mixed some Redline
with the Mobil 1 Tri-Syn.?

That was my first thought too, but is not the case. I'd never used Redline in the truck prior to this sample. The only source of "cross-contamination" I can think of is my funnel, but I keep that clean and even so I doubt there would be enough there to show much.

MolaKule
Are these figures good? If yes I'm starting to think slamming Mobil at every opportunity is off track. Somebody posted figures from an E340/E430? Benz recently and general consensus was they looked good too. SuperSyn analysis is what I'm waiting for though.

Maybe the rare SL TriSynthetic is the best Mobil 1 out there, even though it was only made for a month or two. If that's the case, you guys should run up to Canada, we've got a lot of this stuff up here right now! I can't wait to compare the SJ TriSynth to the SL TriSynth now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back