Mixing P/S Fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were to do the turkey baster method to exchange some of my P/S system's old Motorcraft Mercon V fluid with some new Mobil 1 ATF would that create an unrecommended mix? Would the two fluids clash or am I alright mixing them up like this?

Hmmm, good question. I'm doing the same thing, but with the valvoline synpower PSF. It seems like lots of people have done it in the past and have had no side effects. I'm sure its ok.

I would do the turkey baster method several times allowing some run time after each to mix the fluid.

The mixture of the two might be OK, but it probably won't take more than a quart or two to exchange the fluid even four times.

My vehicle has the PS reservoir separate from the pump, so I just disconnect the return hose and put it into a bottle, suck out the fluid from the reservoir to just above the suction hose, completely fill the reservoir with fresh fluid, start and run for a few seconds, refill the reservoir, start and run, etc., until all the old fluid is flushed out, then reconnect the return hose.

Also you could put in a Magnefine or other filter too if the vehicle doesn't already have one.

It hasn't hurt anything in my Ranger yet.

I did the same thing. At each oil change, I suck out as much of the "factory Mercon" P/S fluid and replace it with Mobil 1 ATF. The pump sounds better than it did when it was new, and by now it's probably mostly Mobil 1.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back