Mirror image of an older topic: Cars that were supposed to be great but turned out to be junk for you?

I had an F-150 and I wanted the 8 cylinder 302 but the salesman talked me into the 300 6 cylinder 300 that is one of best ever made but mine went thru 2 head gaskets in 8 years and the only item ever in the bed was my dog? Salesman used the " it's gonna cost an extra $1000.00 for 2 more cubic inches?" line on me and it worked.. for him anyway. Any of you had sure bets turn out bad?

2000 Accord, purchased new - fit&finish issues galore, and an incompetent dealer network having no clue how to rectify them. This model year also had some transmission issues, but I did not keep the car long enough to find out.

Ford 1987 Taurus. That thing was a money pit. Door window motors, air conditioner leaks, windshield water leaks, and electrical starter issues. Every time I fixed one thing two more would pop up. Local stealership was absolutely incompetent. Will never buy a Ford again.

1984 S-15 Jimmy 4x4, really popular at the time but tons of issues over 13 years of ownership. Just standard GM 70s/80s crap really. Nevertheless it was good in the snow and light off roading so it was kept for a long time.

Probably would have been happier if we pulled the 2.8 V6 and installed a 350 crate motor, that's what that vehicle really needed.

Reactions: D60
Not mechanical issues but '05 Toyota Matrix. Tiny gas tank coupled with struggling to get ~23mpg at Interstate speeds meant we saw a lot of gas stations if we tried to drive more than locally.

Horrendous ergonomics for extended periods and liked to do circles in the snow (it's basically square after all so the front, sides and rear figured they were interchangeable for going "forward")

It might have been a Toyota but it was ultimately just another uncomfortable, gutless econobox. After a couple years ownership we couldn't wait to get rid of it! At least we got a lot $ on trade....

Not to jump on the Toyota hate bandwagon, because most of my Toyota purchases were great, but... I bought a new '86 Toyota LE Van that was almost lemon quality. It was not horribly unreliable as far as leaving me stranded, but it had so many failures before 80K miles, it was insane. I bought it to replace an '84 Toyota van because the '86 had more power - something the '84 was seriously lacking. The '84 was very reliable for the two years.

1995 Toyota Camry. Three Mile Island’d itself on the way to an emissions inspection, didn’t even get to register it.

2008 Honda Accord, 4 cylinder
Total trash. VTC Acuator failures, tiny battery, faulty rear brake slide pins

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x2 we bought as a Program Vehicle. Had every option practically, except V8 and 4x4. Had the 4.0 V6, that rattled worse than a Cummins diesel. I could change the oil, get about 2 weeks of quietness, then back to rattling. Had the HD trailering package, which included 3.73LS. That rearend would howl above 45 mph. TSB stated some where built with incorrect gear lash. Both rear window power regulators died; I replaced them myself and noticed the service package replacement parts were a lot beefier. "Lifetime" lubed ball joints on both sides had their boots dry rot / fail, where crap could get into the ball joints. A $10 or so 1-2 shift solenoid crapped out in the transmission, which required a complete transmission valve body assembly. I spent over $3000 on these and other repairs the 4 years we had it, repairs that didn't happen before or since with other vehicles we've owned.

2004 VW Beetle TDI. They were all the rave about the longevity of the TDI etc.

Worn camshaft & failing DSG transmission. Had 2 dual mass flywheels too. Airbag light issues, CEL for needing a turbo, and more.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x2 we bought as a Program Vehicle. Had every option practically, except V8 and 4x4. Had the 4.0 V6, that rattled worse than a Cummins diesel. I could change the oil, get about 2 weeks of quietness, then back to rattling. Had the HD trailering package, which included 3.73LS. That rearend would howl above 45 mph. TSB stated some where built with incorrect gear lash. Both rear window power regulators died; I replaced them myself and noticed the service package replacement parts were a lot beefier. "Lifetime" lubed ball joints on both sides had their boots dry rot / fail, where crap could get into the ball joints. A $10 or so 1-2 shift solenoid crapped out in the transmission, which required a complete transmission valve body assembly. I spent over $3000 on these and other repairs the 4 years we had it, repairs that didn't happen before or since with other vehicles we've owned.
Chaning the oil has never resulted in a period of "quietness."

Back