Mini projector LED bulbs...

Have you guys seen or used these? I just discovered them by accident on YouTube.

Here is a guy who put them on his Tundra...

I have the GTR LEDs in my wife's CRV that has projector headlight housing and they work great...no scatter and a perfect pattern just like the OEM bulb, but much whiter and brighter.

Been looking for a aftermarket solution for my '05 4runner which has the reflector type headlight housing...it just does not like aftermarket LED bulbs...wondering about these, but I hate to hack my OEM housings.

I was looking at LED 881 bulbs online yesterday to replace some DRL lights. Every single one had several reviews saying they flickered and died after a month or so. So I ordered the old-school halogen 881.

Well, that's the problem with buy things online...not just bulbs...never quit sure what you are getting. I think LEDs are one of those things where you get what you pay for. The GTRs on my wife's CRV is going on 3 years now...no issues so far...and they were not bought on Amazon and did not pay the Amazon price for them.

But you still got to be careful...bought a set of Boslla bulbs for my 4Runner a while back...they weren't exactly cheap. It was one of those multimode bulbs (yellow, white, mix, flash). The yellow mode worked great...bright, nice cut off, but yellow. White mode...might as well been driving with my high beam on.

After a lot of research, I just installed GTR CSP Mini's in my 2001 Blazer, replacing the halogens. Really, I am amazed at these lights, they are just what I wanted. They works very well with my reflector headlights. It's a white light and visibility is greatly increased. They have a decent cutoff too, I have not had any drivers flash me. One thing about these LED's and most high end products is that you have to index them to be vertical in your housing. It's easy because the ring has a set screw. They include an allen wrench for that purpose. However, there are no directions and I think a lot of people don't know you need to index their LED's. If you don't, you'll get a bad pattern and blind other drivers. Another thing about most LED's is that they produce a lot of heat. The more lumens, the more heat. Hence most manufacturers put fans on the back of the bulbs. I didn't want that because I figure the fans will eventually go bad. The CSP Mini's aren't overpowered, so they have a heat sink on back instead of a fan. You can find the specs here. Looking at the chart you'll see there are more expensive and brighter options but really these are more than enough light and should last forever since they don't have a fan.

https://bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/

neat looking product. Upper cutoff looks promising though it’s hard to evaluate bleed. The one significant deficiency I can see in their beam shots is there will likely be too much foreground light. There should be a significant concentration of intensity immediately at the edge or just below the edge of the cutoff, as it takes more lumens to illuminate the far distance. It should be logarithmic. The near field intensity should be very low, because it’s right in front of the car. These LEDs don’t do that. The hot spot is 1/3 below the cutoff and intensity doesn’t scale logarithmically.

Now, these would still likely be superior to the oem headlights in my f150, so it’s all a bit relative.

Back