Milwaukee tools

Based on the Milwaukee stuff I’ve used it’s great. I have mostly Porter Cable because that’s what my parents always buy me and it works fine for me. I can’t afford a whole lot of Milwaukee stuff usually. It seems good quality too along with Makita and Earthquake.

I personally have two impact wrenches from Milwaukee that were given to me as gifts and I’m very impressed with the tools’ functionality and everything but they will be my last tools from Milwaukee. Reason being, they are stamped on the side as being made by “Milwaukee Tool PRC”.

My brother and I have many DeWalt 20V tools without issues, so I tend to stick with DeWalt when possible.

A couple of years ago I purchased a specialized M12 plumbing tool (PEX expander). One of the M12 batteries went bad after just a couple of charges. I didn’t bother returning it since I purchased the tool for just one plumbing job. But I did make a note to myself to avoid Milwaukee M12 tools in the future. From this thread it sounds like I just got a bad battery and the issue is not widespread.

Oh but it is widespread with the round 12v batteries. I bought a pipe cutter, it worked great but the batteries were a constant fail, Milwaukee CS is the worst of any company I have had to deal with.
We've all seen your numerous posts on how you feel about Milwaukee, but you really can't compare anything to 12v tools anymore.
About 20 years ago, I had an Epson printer that failed on me after 11 months. Since it had a one year warranty, I tried their customer service and they told me to pound sand and hung up on me. I've never owned an Epson product since and unless something Epson would be given to me, I never will. So if I have a grudge against a company, I'll hold it as well.
That being said, I work with 10 other guys who own Milwaukee tools and we use them hard. Each of us have the M18 fuel tools, batteries and chargers. We've all had the M18 products since they came out (I dunno, 8-9 years ago?) and have had few failures or problems. We had one guy who tried a DeWalt line and had it for about a year. He simply bought it so nobody could borrow any of his tools or batteries, but he quickly went back to Milwaukee after his stuff failed an early life. I cannot remember any of my coworkers having a battery fail and I know we've got at least 25 of them between everybody.
Sorry you had bad CS with them, obviously many years ago.

I have both 18V Power Plus & M12/M18 cordless Milwaukee tools, I even have a heated M12 hoodie to wear under my Carhartt jacket in case it ever gets REALLY cold here (not likely).
Winter of '79 it was -21F near Cincinnati. Could happen again...LOL

Originally Posted by Astro14
Makita has a wide selection of power tools as well.

Over 200 cordless tools.

Milwaukee makes excellent tools. I own several.

But I'm a Makita fan...

Makita have been great, not one tool or battery fail in almost 15 yrs.
Yes, Makita is one of the best. But does it have less power than equivalent Milwaukee?

Advertised power and real world performance are two totally different things. Don't even bother with numbers that are break away torque, that is the most useless measurement there is.
Understood Trav, but does Milwaukee have more power than Makita for the same/equivalent type of tool? I'm aware of those make believe numbers and I'm asking for your real world experience.
Thanks

I got another Milwakee tool for Christmas. ( That makes two years in a row). It’s a 3/8 drive impact wrench allegedly with 250 ft-lbs of breakout torque. I want to show how small it is, especially next to my 400 ft-lb corded Nut Buster. Enjoy.

Congrats! I have a stubby like that and like it a lot. I’ve said it before and will say it again, if there’s corrosion, even a 1000 ft-bulb electric impact won’t necessarily break it. Nature of the beast unfortunately. But for smaller stuff, and items that it can remove, the stubby is so convenient. Great gift!

The biggest downside Milwaukee has that I have run into is that some of the compact tools are to fat. The length doesn’t matter if you can’t get it near the fastener. Being able to run an impact square on a fastener helps with removal and leaving the nut intact.

In the past Makita made slimer tools than their competitors and I liked that the handles were at an angle. Have t used any of their newer stuff though. They had the best batteries back in the NiCad days.

M12 is awesome, my gen 2 fuel impact got left in the rain with a battery in it a few weeks ago and is toast.

That impact was as strong as a 18/20v even with 2AH batteries, I used it to drive spade bits numerous times. It fits in the palm of my hand without a bit in it.

I'm definitely replacing it but I'm not sure if I should get the hydraulic impact or wait for the gen 3 conventional. I've been using a cheap 2016 dewalt 20v impact and it's too big and seems to heat up quickly and shoot sparks from the motor with a 3AH battery.
You could try and warranty it
...worst they can say is no?

It all started last July when I needed a new drill

A few hundred dollars later, I got the M12 Stubby and a 3/8 non fuel ratchet

Any half woke youtube mechanic usually has a M12 Stubby, and every tool box at my jobs fleet service has one

It's the must have item of the past year or two

The tire inflator was on sale for $44, love it to death

Got a good deal on a M18 family bundle, didn't like the impact, flipped it on eBay to nearly break even on the new Gen 2 M18 Mid Torque

I got the M18 wet dry vac, my car has never been cleaner

The only thing I was ever unhappy with was the M12 radio, that got returned

Currently I'm looking into either a pair of the newer M18 H.O batteries, or the new M12 right angle impact

Understood Trav, but does Milwaukee have more power than Makita for the same/equivalent type of tool? I'm aware of those make believe numbers and I'm asking for your real world experience.
Thanks
Not that I cant tell, the Makita is like the Energizer bunny the thing just keeps going year after year with no noticeable loss of power, the batteries are very good I still have all of them from 2008, all take a charge and show no noticeable reduction in run time.

Back