Milwaukee m18 "high-torque" impact $199

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call the test protocol what one likes, the M18, especially the fuel, does seem to deliver...

Originally Posted By: another Todd
I wonder how they get the ft. lb. ratings. If it really put out 700 ft. lbs. of torque, you couldn't hold on to it. In reality it takes about a 4 foot long torque wrench to get 700 ft. lbs.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

"In operation, a rotating mass is accelerated by the motor, storing energy, then suddenly connected to the output shaft (the anvil), creating a high-torque impact. The hammer mechanism is designed such that after delivering the impact, the hammer is again allowed to spin freely, and does not stay locked. With this design, the only reaction force applied to the body of the tool is the motor accelerating the hammer, and thus the operator feels very little torque, even though a very high peak torque is delivered to the socket. (This is similar to a conventional hammer, where the user applies a small, constant force to swing the hammer, which generates a very large impulse when the hammer strikes an object.)"

Also it looks like Home Depot is taking their time delivering it to the store. I ordered 3/28, it says to expect it delivered Monday 4/10. I wish it was coming a day sooner though, the 70 degree weather Sunday would make for a perfect tire switching day!

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I might have to jump on that. I am somewhat invested in the Home Depot 18V Ridgid stuff and was looking at adding the bare tool impact wrench at $120, but that is rated at 325 ft-lbs. For a little more, I can grab this better tool with batteries.

Thanks for posting!

I too have ridgid stuff. Actually switched from Milwaukee. Ridgid kit is $149 at the Depot.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-1-2-in-Impact-Wrench-Kit-R86010KN/206736719

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I wonder how they get the ft. lb. ratings. If it really put out 700 ft. lbs. of torque, you couldn't hold on to it. In reality it takes about a 4 foot long torque wrench to get 700 ft. lbs.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

"In operation, a rotating mass is accelerated by the motor, storing energy, then suddenly connected to the output shaft (the anvil), creating a high-torque impact. The hammer mechanism is designed such that after delivering the impact, the hammer is again allowed to spin freely, and does not stay locked. With this design, the only reaction force applied to the body of the tool is the motor accelerating the hammer, and thus the operator feels very little torque, even though a very high peak torque is delivered to the socket. (This is similar to a conventional hammer, where the user applies a small, constant force to swing the hammer, which generates a very large impulse when the hammer strikes an object.)"

I guess I wasn't considering the hammer. Thinking of my 1/2" electric drill, I don't know how much torque it has but if the bit jams, it will break your arm or leg or send you flying.

I guess I wasn't considering the hammer. Thinking of my 1/2" electric drill, I don't know how much torque it has but if the bit jams, it will break your arm or leg or send you flying.

Right, I like to use an impact driver with hex drill bits if I'm on a ladder/roof/unstable situation for that reason.. as long as the hole doesnt have to be precise.

Instead of it twisting you off the ladder it just starts hammering. YMMV. Depends on situation.

Picked it up last week and finally had the time to swap out the snow tires (a little later than I wanted). It was nice to be able to jack up one end of the car and just hammer off the wheels, instead of having to loosen the lug nuts before jacking the tires off the ground. I finger tightened the lug nuts then used the impact until it hit a few times. I lowered it, torqued with the torque wrench, then re-torqued after a quick drive around the block.

The tool itself does feel a bit heavy. The only other experience with impacts is a corded HF model, which was also heavy. I have no experience with any other impact wrench (air or electric). But for my twice a year tire change and around the house nut loosening, it'll work fine.

n5505x.jpg

Is this the newest model?

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2767-22

Quote:
The 2767 M18 FUEL™ High Torque ½” Impact Wrench with Friction Ring eliminates the need to use a pneumatic tool for those stubborn and rusted bolts by delivering 1,000 ft-lbs of fastening torque and 1400 ft-lbs of nut-busting torque. With 2X faster removal speed, users will be able to get the job done faster and be more productive throughout their day. By providing the industry’s most compact cordless High Torque Impact Wrench at 8.39” in length, this tool allows for more access in tight spaces. 4-Mode DRIVE CONTROL™ with Bolt Removal mode gives users the most control over their fasteners. Bolt Removal mode gives the user more control when removing fasteners by slowing to 750rpm once the fastener has been busted loose. This tool offers quick, tool-free socket changes with a 1/2 in. friction ring anvil.

1400 ft-lb of nut busting torque? Hmmmm.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
1400 ft-lb of nut busting torque? Hmmmm.

"Nut-busting torque" is an undefined marketing term. If asked, they'll say something like "if you sit there and let it hammer for a while, it'll eventually come off, that's the equivalent torque rating".

Don't expect it to replace an Aircat 1200.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
..."Nut-busting torque" is an undefined marketing term...

I'm surprised Ford, Chevrolet and Ram have not adopted that marketing slogan for their diesel powered 1 ton pickups.

I'm surprised Ford, Chevrolet and Ram have not adopted that marketing slogan for their diesel powered 1 ton pickups.

That's easy to understand. Their diesel owners are too used to having their nuts busted. They don't need any more of that.

That's easy to understand. Their diesel owners are too used to having their nuts busted. They don't need any more of that.

lol.gif

But in all seriousness, I have the 1st gen version of the Milwaukee M18 Fuel brushless impact and it's more than adequate for most things. However, I did have to jury rig my version of this to get a crank pulley bolt off, I doubt it comes close to what it claims in the real world but it still spun the bolt off with a heavier socket to multiply inertia.

I zip on my wheel lugs in mode 1, Milwaukee claims it's good for 100ft-lbs of torque for fastening but I still need to torque my lugs to spec with a beam-type torque wrench. I think it's really around 40-50ft-lbs realistically.

Channellock also has a nut buster:

https://www.channellock.com/414-NUTBUSTER-Plier.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back