Military Is Looking For 50,000 New .30 Rifles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spiritrider
Marine shot/kill ratio increased 250% from WW2 to Vietnam. Army shot/kill ratio increased 800%......and let's just say billt406 is clue challenged.

So you are trying to tell us that the 50,000 rounds to one kill ratio our military is presently enjoying, is including this supposed 800% IMPROVMENT? Which means, using your numbers, it use to be 1 kill to 800,000 ROUNDS? And I'm, "clue challenged"? Right.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
AR-10 done!

I am very happy with mine.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/AP4-308762_ep_129-1.html

No retraining on maintenance or function needed. Many compatible parts. Reliable (as long as you don't use Remoil!
cool.gif
)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
In WW II

today

In WWII we fought nations, on battlefields, against uniformed soldiers. If you think that what we're doing today is anything like WWII... if you think that we "can't win anything"... well, my rhetorical abilities may fail, leaving me on the wrong side of the language filter. I don't even know where to start.

The M-16's effectiveness was dependent upon high velocity. The current version has a short barrel and lower velocity. Less killing power. It has been improved to death. So now the army is looking for an effective weapon.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
In WWII we fought nations, on battlefields, against uniformed soldiers. If you think that what we're doing today is anything like WWII...

And please explain what any of your speech has to do with a well aimed shot hitting it's mark? Did that somehow change with time? Other than the fact we've managed to get worse at accomplishing it, with a less effective weapon.

In fact, studies of after action reports d-demonstrated that the 5.56mm cartridge had increased lethality over the 7.62mm at ranges inside 200 yards.

Then why is the military going back to the 7.62, to the tune of over 50,000 weapons? Do you think it's because they want a bigger, less effective cartridge? Or is it they just don't believe their own "studies" or information?

In fact, studies of after action reports d-demonstrated that the 5.56mm cartridge had increased lethality over the 7.62mm at ranges inside 200 yards.

Then why is the military going back to the 7.62, to the tune of over 50,000 weapons? Do you think it's because they want a bigger, less effective cartridge? Or is it they just don't believe their own "studies" or information?

That was B.S. the 5.56 is a PEA SHOOTER, I would only use if carry weight was a concern. Heavy load outs suck.

Always could also mean long time lurker. Thanks for the hearty welcome! Would you prefer clueless newbs?

Back to guns, when the feds were buying up truckloads of ammo to supply their countless users there was talk about this being nefarious in some way.

Now apparently were doing a re-inventory of the Nato7 and not one person has put on their tinfoil hat about it.

Interesting times.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
That was B.S. the 5.56 is a PEA SHOOTER, I would only use if carry weight was a concern.....

I agree. It's total B.S. The .223 was, is, and always will be a varmint cartridge. It is very effective as a varmint cartridge. It doesn't matter what rifle it is chambered in. Or how menacing it looks. In many states it is illegal to hunt deer with a .223, because it does not have enough power to be a reliable deer cartridge. .30 caliber rifles do not have that problem.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: DdDd
It's called a joke. There is absolutely nothing political about my comments.

Why does somebody always have to claim politics to lock a thread. Are people that touchy about their chosen ideology? In case you haven't noticed DC is quite amusing.

It was inherently political.

Are you unable to see that?
In the minds of the professionally outraged, EVERYTHING is "political".

And please explain what any of your speech has to do with a well aimed shot hitting it's mark?

And please show me where I challenged you on the topic of ballistics?

The best answer is in between, something in 6.something caliber with a very high ballistic coefficient and high chamber pressure.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
And please explain what any of your speech has to do with a well aimed shot hitting it's mark?

And please show me where I challenged you on the topic of ballistics?

Just answer the question. Don't make some half baked attempt to avoid it by asking another.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The best answer is in between, something in 6.something caliber with a very high ballistic coefficient and high chamber pressure.

If you consider only ballistics, then, sure.

But procurement is important, logistics wins wars, and we are part of an alliance that already has standardized ammo.

7.62x51

That's the good choice when considering all the factors.

Marine shot/kill ratio increased 250% from WW2 to Vietnam. Army shot/kill ratio increased 800%......and let's just say billt406 is clue challenged.

So you are trying to tell us that the 50,000 rounds to one kill ratio our military is presently enjoying, is including this supposed 800% IMPROVMENT? Which means, using your numbers, it use to be 1 kill to 800,000 ROUNDS? And I'm, "clue challenged"? Right.

They count the ammo that is used in training as well as combat to come up with their ratios.

For instance, if the military uses 100 million rounds of ammo per year, and shoots 75 enemy combatants per year, then that is your ratio. Obviously they use a LOT of ammo in training. Due to the way govt budgets work, they WANT to spend as much money next year, as they did this year. So what you find is that near the end of the budget year, the supply guys will issue a ton of ammo out to the troops and told to "burn it up" so the ammo will be replaced next budget cycle. My brother (three tours) was handed cases and cases of 5.56 for "training" at the end of the fiscal year. They took the FN M249's out and blew stuff up.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
That was B.S. the 5.56 is a PEA SHOOTER, I would only use if carry weight was a concern.....

I agree. It's total B.S. The .223 was, is, and always will be a varmint cartridge. It is very effective as a varmint cartridge. It doesn't matter what rifle it is chambered in. Or how menacing it looks. In many states it is illegal to hunt deer with a .223, because it does not have enough power to be a reliable deer cartridge. .30 caliber rifles do not have that problem.

You are forgetting that on a battle field, a wounded soldier requires the attention of two other soldiers to remove him from the battlefield. A dead soldier can lay their dead for days without a care. If the 5 millimeter cartridges are so bad, I wonder why the US chose it? Why did Russia choose it? Why did China choose it? Why did NATO choose it?

According to the science available right now, a 6.5 ish cartridge is superior to all others for man to man combat, from close quarters battle to 1200 yards. A 6.5 cartridge would weight more than a 5.56, but obviosuly less than a 7.62 round. The miltary is experimenting with polymer cased rounds to lower the loadout for troops, but that technology is not perfected as of yet.

With the new guy running the show and his commitment to rebuilding the military, the top brass are of course going to use this opportunity to procure a .308 COTS (commercial off the shelf) solution.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
If the 5 millimeter cartridges are so bad, I wonder why the US chose it?

I think they are revisiting that question as we speak, trying to find an answer..... Which may very well be the reason they want 50,000 new rifles chambered for something better. As far a Russia and the other nations, they do what we do. Kalashnikov himself stated many times, that he was never in favor of the Soviets move to chamber the AK-74 in 5.56. He felt it was an inferior round right up until his death.

In WW II we fought on every type of battlefield and condition imaginable. Jungle, (South Pacific). Beach head invasion, (both South Pacific and European). Forest and mountainous terrain, (Europe). Freezing cold, (Europe). High heat, humidity, and rain, (New Guinea). And while we had other weapons in our inventory, just as we do now, we won it all based on a 8 shot semi auto in .30-06, and a 7 shot .45 pistol.

This is a wrong perception. Roy Dunlap was a gunsmith through WWII and wrote a book about it. He wrote how the M1 Carbine (you left out) was highly popular in jungle combat and the Garand more so in open terrain. His company commander kept a more than sufficient supply of weapons so his troops could load out as desired for the mission at hand.

Also war hero Audy Murphy loved firepower and loaded up a Jeep with all kind of full auto weapons including German MG's (because of the higher rate of fire). He wasn't exactly ineffective in combat.
Originally Posted By: HangFire
When in jungle or urban combat, we need higher volume of fire, lower load weights and range is not as important (read: 5.56).

That's exactly the vicious circle we managed to get ourselves into that has created a lot of this. There is no advantage to a, "high volume of fire", regardless of the caliber you're trying to accomplish it with. Especially if it creates a condition that requires a 50,000+ round count to kill anyone. That's insane.

It's not one or another. Tough house to house combat is won with SMG's and snipers (and explosives, but let's stick to small arms). GPMG's are nearly useless except on vehicles to command streets.

Jungle warfare is won with assault rifles.

Assault rifles are nearly useless at long distances and open terrain. Rifles and GPMG's are the weapons of choice.

Trying to reduce one side of the argument to "spray and pray" is just a straw man. Disciplined use of Full Auto has its place in modern combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back