Microsoft halts Windows update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
So what happens to people like myself that did a fresh install? I read they are telling people not to install it at all? Will they patch it, or should I do a fresh install again when they get their act together? I have other computers thankfully so I don't have to rely on the laptop I did the installation on.

I would see what version a fresh install is now and if its a step back, do a fresh install, but that is me.
It SEEMS one main issue is during the update, peoples document folders with all documents including photos were being deleted. So one lesson right now is if you did an update and have stuff saved in your doc folders, do a backup right away.

Since this is so new we dont know what other issues if any yet. I just saw a PC World story this morning trashing Microsoft over this.

Why on earth doesnt someone produce a "lite" version of a operating system for people not interested in playing games, power computing but just simple web stuff, banking, video, photos, word ect. No BS active desktop and garbage like that. Come on Mozella ... ?

Ill tell you why, money MS makes selling your information to third parties, I would be perfectly willing to pay a couple hundred dollars for a system like above, though I suspect most wouldnt and why the success of Android, free from google in return for you, selling you and your families bodies and minds to google so they can experiment on what triggers your family to buy what products and read what news headlines.

Ok, enough of my rant .. here is the PC World latest. ... https://www.pcworld.com/article/331...0-october-2018-update-file-deletion.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by demarpaint
So what happens to people like myself that did a fresh install? I read they are telling people not to install it at all? Will they patch it, or should I do a fresh install again when they get their act together? I have other computers thankfully so I don't have to rely on the laptop I did the installation on.

I would see what version a fresh install is now and if its a step back, do a fresh install, but that is me.
It SEEMS one main issue is during the update, peoples document folders with all documents including photos were being deleted. So one lesson right now is if you did an update and have stuff saved in your doc folders, do a backup right away.

Since this is so new we dont know what other issues if any yet. I just saw a PC World story this morning trashing Microsoft over this.

Why on earth doesnt someone produce a "lite" version of a operating system for people not interested in playing games, power computing but just simple web stuff, banking, video, photos, word ect. No BS active desktop and garbage like that. Come on Mozella ... ?

Ill tell you why, money MS makes selling your information to third parties, I would be perfectly willing to pay a couple hundred dollars for a system like above, though I suspect most wouldnt and why the success of Android, free from google in return for you, selling you and your families bodies and minds to google so they can experiment on what triggers your family to buy what products and read what news headlines.

Ok, enough of my rant .. here is the PC World latest. ... https://www.pcworld.com/article/331...0-october-2018-update-file-deletion.html

I looked last night and they were offering the April version of Win 10. I have a feeling that the Oct edition is so jacked up that a fresh install of the fixed version will be in order. I won't trust any update they'll be rolling out for a while. My better judgement told me to wait, but I said to myself why not, give it a try on the laptop. Lesson relearned! Had I hosed my new tower I'd be really [censored]!!!!!!!! Waiting at least a month after a major update like this one seems to be prudent.

Edit to add:
I just checked all you can download is the April 2018 edition. Nice work MSFT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by jhellwig
Say after me: "Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux"

90% of the software out there only runs on Windows and a chunk of that won't run on Windows 10 either.

90% of Windows software only runs on Windows. 90% of what you actually need is duplicated in Linux and costs nothing.

Thats the most inaccurate statement Ive read on here in awhile. I use quite a few applications that are Windows only, not to mention my games library. I think there is only one or two games that have Linux ports.

Originally Posted by Colt45ws
Say after me: "Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux Linux"

90% of the software out there only runs on Windows and a chunk of that won't run on Windows 10 either.

90% of Windows software only runs on Windows. 90% of what you actually need is duplicated in Linux and costs nothing.

Thats the most inaccurate statement Ive read on here in awhile. I use quite a few applications that are Windows only, not to mention my games library. I think there is only one or two games that have Linux ports.

I'm not a Windows user, but one "mission critical" program to me is Adobe Lightroom. There are alternatives to it, but the only "free" one is Apple Photos(which is a pretty sorry replacement all said and done) which obviously won't work on Windows or Linux either one. The paid alternatives are Windows and Mac only.

Aside from that, when I NEED Photoshop, I need the real thing and not a half-baked alternative that FOSS folks like to puff up their chest about and claim it's "just as good" as Photoshop.

As you said, too, the landscape isn't good for games and things like that too. It's not GREAT on macOS, but it's there.

I've never been totally satisfied the times I've tried to use LibreOffice/OpenOffice. MS Office frustrates me at times, but I haven't found anything I like better. The only small exception I'll make to that is I prefer Nisus Writer as a word processor, but it's a Mac-only program.

I use to keep a CentOS VM on my computer so that I could do offline data processing of NMR data at work, but now OpenVNMRj comes pre-built for MacOS and works perfectly. The computers actually controlling the NMRs run RHEL, which is not exactly a "free" version of Linux. Most other scientific instruments at work need Windows-only software. I actually had a lot of fun a few months back getting HP/Agilent Chemstation running on a computer old enough to support the interface card I was using(a specific model of an ISA Hewlett Packard HPIB card) but new enough to run a "modern" version of Windows. I ended up at Win2K, as it was happiest on the Pentium II I ended up using, and has the advantage of having good USB support.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial

I'm not a Windows user, but one "mission critical" program to me is Adobe Lightroom. There are alternatives to it, but the only "free" one is Apple Photos(which is a pretty sorry replacement all said and done) which obviously won't work on Windows or Linux either one. The paid alternatives are Windows and Mac only.

Aside from that, when I NEED Photoshop, I need the real thing and not a half-baked alternative that FOSS folks like to puff up their chest about and claim it's "just as good" as Photoshop.

As you said, too, the landscape isn't good for games and things like that too. It's not GREAT on macOS, but it's there.

I've never been totally satisfied the times I've tried to use LibreOffice/OpenOffice. MS Office frustrates me at times, but I haven't found anything I like better. The only small exception I'll make to that is I prefer Nisus Writer as a word processor, but it's a Mac-only program.

I use to keep a CentOS VM on my computer so that I could do offline data processing of NMR data at work, but now OpenVNMRj comes pre-built for MacOS and works perfectly. The computers actually controlling the NMRs run RHEL, which is not exactly a "free" version of Linux. Most other scientific instruments at work need Windows-only software. I actually had a lot of fun a few months back getting HP/Agilent Chemstation running on a computer old enough to support the interface card I was using(a specific model of an ISA Hewlett Packard HPIB card) but new enough to run a "modern" version of Windows. I ended up at Win2K, as it was happiest on the Pentium II I ended up using, and has the advantage of having good USB support.

Yup. Myself I repair and service two way radios, and there isnt one CPS (Customer Programming Software) that will run on Linux.Complicating it is a particular CPS might only work with 4 or 5 models (at most) from one brand so when you service all brands, you end up with 30 of them on your machine. Even my personal computers have a few CPS on them as I prefer to use commercial radio equipment than the available amateur gear.

I know where you are coming from with the legacy gear too. My personal car has a pair of Motorola Astro Spectras and while the programming software runs under 32bit Windows XP just fine, the Service software only runs under DOS. Up to now Ive been using 32bit WIndows XP in a VM with a USB to serial adapter on my Dell Precision M4800 Running Win 10 x64 to do the programming. It can be finicky though and if something were to stop working in the middle of programming it would brick the radio.
Ive been finding myself helping other people with their Astros lately and I need the service software so I decided to invest in a old laptop dedicated for those radios. I have a old Toughbook coming in this week with a Pentium III that I will be setting up to dual boot Windows 98SE and Windows XP.

And this is why I have the Windows Update service disabled and do updates after a major roll-out has been done but that has been out for a while. Too many PC's in the past messed up because they aren't properly testing things and using the general public as their testing ground.

I understand they can't possible test for everything but in later years it seems like their testing has gone straight out the window.

Might also help if we could still choose what to install / not install instead of being forced to take everything by default. (I know there is ways around this)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
And this is why I have the Windows Update service disabled and do updates after a major roll-out has been done but that has been out for a while. Too many PC's in the past messed up because they aren't properly testing things and using the general public as their testing ground.

I understand they can't possible test for everything but in later years it seems like their testing has gone straight out the window.

Might also help if we could still choose what to install / not install instead of being forced to take everything by default. (I know there is ways around this)

What do you Disable or Uncheck, other than Windows Updates in the System Configuation Service

In the services list just stop the Windows Update Service and change its properties to "Disabled" and that's it. It will also keep you from installing apps from the Microsoft Store so keep that in mind if you go to install an app and it doesn't let you.

Just remember to check for new updates periodically.

You can not turn off automatic updates in services forever, it will re-enable on the home edition.
I did install a small free program that acts as a switch and turns off automatic updates.

Right from the horses mouth ... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-10/731e00cb-fbeb-4a0c-9a4a-a07d964d897f

your method -
https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-Off-Automatic-Updates-in-Windows-10

or, method that I just installed --- https://www.novirusthanks.org/products/win-update-stop/

I just installed the windows stop update this morning, its free, tiny program file.

The reason I did this is WINDOWS has JUST RESTARTED the UPDATE with a fix to stop files from being deleted. I think its important to update but now I can hold off for a while, while MS tests their latest update of the public, then when I am ready, I simply flip a "switch" in the program and it turns update back on, assuming its a good program, looks respectable as far as a company.

Last edited:
I'm running home addition on my Acer Laptop and it stays disabled until I turn it back on. Maybe your security software like Anti-Virus is turning it back on but mine isn't.
21.gif

Another way around this is to setup your system as though it's running on a metered connection and it won't update until it asks you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Whimsey
Don't they test the updates out before they force them unwillingly onto the Window 10 users?

AFAIR, Microsoft sacked over 10,000 QA staff a couple of years back. Complaints about broken Windows updates began soon after.

This may not be a coincidence.

demarpaint said:

It's called Chrome. But it's Linux-based, and Linux has been going downhill too.

Originally Posted by emg
demarpaint said:

It's called Chrome. But it's Linux-based, and Linux has been going downhill too.

It's called ChromeOS (Chrome is a web browser). There are lots of other Linux-based desktop OS's to look at if privacy, stability, security and ease-of-use are priorities.

Linux is powering a large majority of web servers and virtual machines, ChromeOS, a little-known OS called Android, most smart devices, Kindles and about 2% of conventional desktops. Maybe there is nowhere to go but downhill. :^)

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
Originally Posted by emg
demarpaint said:

It's called ChromeOS (Chrome is a web browser). There are lots of other Linux-based desktop OS's to look at if privacy, stability, security and ease-of-use are priorities.

Linux is powering a large majority of web servers and virtual machines, ChromeOS, a little-known OS called Android, most smart devices, Kindles and about 2% of conventional desktops. Maybe there is nowhere to go but downhill. :^)

Na, No thank you, I hate Google (the land of no privacy) more then Microsoft ...
I avoid everything google, stopped using Chrome, now opera is my go too, also Firefox ... and search engine duckduckgo.com whenever possible. Though still use google I lessen how much I do and hate them.

Last edited:
Most software used in an industrial setting is windows only. Security policies don't like open source software. I have many programs that absolutely will not run on anything other than Windows that are essential to the process.

Which industries? You may be surprised what's out there. As for security policies, open source is really where it's at. There is nothing more risky than proprietary applications. Well, yes, what's worse is a proprietary operating system that isn't permission based, closely followed by proprietary applications.

Na, No thank you, I hate Google (the land of no privacy) more then Microsoft ...

I was talking about Linux, not Google. 100% of the people I know who value their privacy and security use a Linux-based OS.

Opera is closed-source and Chinese-owned; Firefox and duckduckgo are good starts... But if you're still using Windows...

I was talking about Linux, not Google. 100% of the people I know who value their privacy and security use a Linux-based OS.

Opera is closed-source and Chinese-owned; Firefox and duckduckgo are good starts... But if you're still using Windows...

Oops, you threw me off when you started your reply to me "It's called ChromeOS (Chrome is a web browser)"

I would love to have Linux but I do not have the time or desire in my life to configure it to get it to the point where it works as good as Windows. I have a number of good computers that could run Lynx that are sitting here doing nothing and maybe one day in my lifetime when I have nothing to do I will play with it. FYI I have been computing for 25 years.

Good point about Opera since a Chinese company bought them but I REALLY like it.
I did, for fun recently tried Firefox again, its good for sure but still like my Opera but I will adjust and was my intention too move to Firefox.

As I said, I hate all things google, the general population could care less about their privacy and freedom in the name of "free" stuff ... kind of dangerous if you think about it.
People start getting used to "free" stuff instead of working for it.,

I AM CURIOUS, since you seem versed in Linux, IF YOU HAD TO RECOMMEND JUST ONE LINUX VERSION WHAT WOULD IT BE?

Last edited:
Of course, if one wants the security of a *nix platform along with commercial software and a nice GUI, there's one REALLY great option out there-OS X/macOS .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back