Michigan Speedway..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
If a man were in Danica's car getting the same results, he would have been gone long ago.

Really!

Driver..............Starts....Win...T5.....T10.......Pole

Danica Patrick....169........0.....0..... 7.........1

Reed Sorenson.....275........0.....5......15........1

Landon Cassill....238........0.....1.......1........0

J.J. Yeley.............256........0.....2.......8........1

M. Mc Dowell......228........0.....0.......4........0

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Really!

Yes, really. I've posted this before, and I will again just for you, since you think her record is so worthy of defending. She's had a total of 165 starts for Stewart Haas Racing. Out of all that she has managed 0 wins, 0 top5's, 6 top10's (1 every 27 races on average), and has only led 63 laps out of 46,704 laps run. And a best points finish of 24th, and a career average finish of 24th.

And let's at least be honest. Danica has always had superb equipment. Do you think the equipment of those other drivers you listed compares to hers? It doesn't. Not even close. Any other talented driver given those 165 starts with that car would have produced far better results. Simply because she's faired no better in any of the other venues she's raced in. Going all the way back to her days in Toyota Atlantic and before. Where she never managed to win a race either.

And remember, Danica has been in racing for 19 years. And in no less than 7 different racing venues. And out of all that she has managed 1 single win. And the only reason she got that is because Castroneves ran out of fuel. She never would have caught, let alone overtaken him. I'm sorry, but that's one turd that cannot be polished. But in a bikini and heels, no one else on the track can come close. You've got to give her that much. But not much else.

Danica just qualified 6th at Sonoma. Her roots are road racing, and she looks forward to the 2 road races each season. FS1 showed in-car video of her lap; very smooth.

I also look forward to the NASCAR road races each season. They're the only Cup races that I DVR. I wish they would add a road course to the Chase. Perhaps Road America, or a modified version of COTA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Danica just qualified 6th at Sonoma. Her roots are road racing, and she looks forward to the 2 road races each season. FS1 showed in-car video of her lap; very smooth.

I also look forward to the NASCAR road races each season. They're the only Cup races that I DVR. I wish they would add a road course to the Chase. Perhaps Road America, or a modified version of COTA.

They did for next year. They are running the roval at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaDAyq8au0M

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Danica just qualified 6th at Sonoma.

She must have cheated. LOL

Billt460 I always enjoy reading your posts on here. I have to disagree with you just a bit on some of this. 1) How many yrs did Sterling Marlin drove before he won his first race?? A LONG time.. 18 yrs. How many races in that time frame?? A WHOLE LOT. First win was the 94 Daytona 500. Quite a way to get his first win. He went on to win another 9 NASCAR races in his career, finish in the top five in the championship, and likely would have been the Winston Cup Champion in 2002 had it not been for a bad injury. Yes, he drove in an era where he did not have the best equipment in the early part if his career. But by the mid to late 1980s he was in good enough cars that were competitive. Another driver that comes to mind is Michael Waltrip. He drove over 400 plus races before winning at the 2001 Daytona 500. Of course this is the race where Dale Earnhardt died in the middle of turn 3 and turn 4 in the last lap. Mikey went on to win another Daytona 500 in 2003 and 2 other restrictor plate wins at Talladega and Daytona. Michael would have won at Loudon had it been for a gas can getting stuck in the car as he left pit road on the last stop of the day.

That having been said, these two guys got a whole lot of chances to eventually become a winner on the NASCAR Cup series. I do agree with you in that this current deal may well be Danica Patrick's last chance at being in a car good enough to win. She lost Tony Gibson as her crew chief and that was a big loss to her when that happened. Most of her top ten runs were with him on the pit box. Time will tell.... But again I agree with you to the point that she has not made the most out of what she has had either.

This conversation dovetails nicely into what people have said about Dale Earnhardt Jr when he first came into the Cup series. "It's all his daddy's money is the only reason why he is doing any good". Well, if Dale Earnhardt Jr hadn't had the ability to drive a car he would not have won back to back Busch Series championships. If Dale Earnhardt Jr could not drive to save his rear end he would not have won 27 career NASCAR cup races. Take a look at Rusty Wallace's son in the Busch series. Stephen Wallace never had much success in the Busch series. No one can say he didn't have the best equipment available to him... He did. And he did not do remotely as well as Dale Earnhardt Jr did. Maybe, just maybe Dale Earnhardt Jr really could really drive pretty well.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with everything you've said. You made good, factual points. All of those drivers you mentioned took a long time to mature. And many of them did not have good equipment during a large part of their careers. Both Marlin and Michael Waltrip fall into those categories. I also agree that Dale Jr. being, "who he was", has helped him along the way as well. Just as Chase Elliot would most likely not be where he is, if it weren't for his fathers past on track performance and influence. You could probably add Marco and John Andretti, along with Al Unser Jr. to that list. And it certainly doesn't hurt Austin Dillon that Richard Childress just happens to be his grandfather.

But the point being is, somewhere along the way their skill level developed as drivers to where it matched the equipment they were given. And as a direct result they started to perform. And started winning, and finishing in the top ten on a consistent basis. That has never been the case with Danica. It didn't happen for her in the beginning of her open wheel career in Toyota Atlantic. Where she had excellent equipment provided to her for 2 years and 24 races by Bobby Rahal. And it never happened in Indy Car where she had some of the best equipment on the track from Rahal / Letterman and Andretti / Green. 2 of the top teams that ranked right under Penske and Ganassi. Except of course for her one and only fluke win in Japan, when Helio ran out of gas in the final stages of that race.

In NASCAR this disaster continued. I'm not going to post her dismal record here yet again. It's out there if anyone really cares to look. There is no doubt winning in racing takes a certain amount of luck. It also takes tremendous skill. Especially at the top levels when you are handed good equipment race after race, and are expected to extract the very most out of it. She simply has not. She has proven she has been handed fast race cars, and can on occasion qualify well on an empty track. Her first year in Indy Car, (2005), she managed 3 pole positions, but never again after that. 3 poles in 115 races. Again, all with top shelf equipment. At Daytona she again got the pole in 2013. And at least came out of it with one of her few top ten finishes, by finishing 8th that year. Qualifying well makes you a fast driver in a quick car. It does not make you a winning racer.

One area I don't begrudge her in the least is her earnings. They of course don't reflect her on track performance, but they don't have to. Her marketability has been excellent. At least up until now. She made a fortune with Go Daddy. She looks great on camera, and can act reasonably well in staged, scripted commercials. Actors are well paid, so there is zero reason she shouldn't be as well.

But as far as her racing career which is coming into it's twilight. I can't think of another driver in recent memory, who has had better equipment throughout her entire racing career. And has performed so consistently poorly with it over such a long period. Venue after venue. Year after year. Race after race. And in wreck after wreck.... For almost 2 decades, and still kept her job. And again let's be honest. A large part of that is because she is a very attractive, and a extremely marketable woman. Which again is fine. But that's no more reason to try and tell me she's a good racer, and beyond criticism. Any more than being black automatically made Barak Obama a good President. And while it's perfectly OK to like, and "stick up" for both. People need to be honest enough with themselves to at least do it for the right reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back