Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Well, finally they were mounted and we picked them up today:
954288AA-88D7-42CD-8987-C3A3091E3F74_1_105_c.jpeg

FE392D99-F108-4DE8-8151-04FC87438590_1_105_c.jpeg

I'm expecting great things from these tires, hopefully they don't disappoint!

Probably the biggest surprise was this:
34E22869-172F-4BC3-A09B-2D9752A1AB05_1_105_c.jpeg

Yep, these beauties were made right here in the GWN (in Nova Scotia).

I'll be putting the Hankook's on Kijiji, they have a ton of tread left, but sweet Jesus are they bad on ice.

Took about 30 minutes to get them on the Jeep, had my kids give me a hand. TPMS sensors picked-up after about 5 minutes of driving. My cheap replica wheels are starting to lose some of their paint, but of course that's why they are my winter wheels.

Somewhat OT, she's gonna need brakes soon:
95F71A76-8819-4C5A-A3E3-C885E576E9BD_1_105_c.jpeg

Ugh.

Mine had about 6 miles on them.

took them out to dinner tonight.. seems like I'm going to pickup 1-2mpg over the yokohama geolandar g015(stock tires)
maybe more but its hard to tell in winter.

Probably helped by the fact that my winter wheels+xice snow are about 5lb lighter than the stock setup.. and 10mm narrower.
They are also slightly bigger in diameter (1%) so that shouldnt be falsely affecting the mpg accuracy.
They came with the crummy metal valve stem caps.. I swapped them out for the green option I had in the garage..
78% nitrogen fill.

image_2022-11-10_193558700.png

image_2022-11-10_193747991.png

Last edited:
Mine had about 6 miles on them.

took them out to dinner tonight.. seems like I'm going to pickup 1-2mpg over the yokohama geolandar g015(stock tires)
maybe more but its hard to tell in winter.

Probably helped by the fact that my winter wheels+xice snow are about 5lb lighter than the stock setup.. and 10mm narrower.

They came with the crummy metal valve stem caps.. I swapped them out for the green option I had in the garage..
78% nitrogen fill.

View attachment 125540
View attachment 125541
Were yours made in Canada too?

Reactions: JC1
Were yours made in Canada too?
yep. 215/65r17 stock is 225/60r17
same load rating.. and about 20$ cheaper a tire.

From DTD, and the wheel weights didnt even fall off on the driveway this time.

They are balanced oddly one has literally 1 tape weight on the whole wheel (1 segment)
another one has about 2x8segments almost matching on inboard and outboard offset by maybe 2-3"
but they all seem to roll ok in my 30mile highway trip earlier. 🤷‍♂️

Initial impressions are they roll with less resistance, small imperfections in the road surface are noticeable slightly more than stock tires.. talking about expansion joints etc,
but on bigger road bumps/potholes they are well composed and not harsh.

Of course I dont have an SRT-8 GJC.

I forget which test but someone rated these better in severe conditions than the ws-90 blizzaks. I almost went with the viking contact 7's since they are so good on the elantra but I wanted to try these michelins.

Last edited:
yep. 215/65r17 stock is 225/60r17
same load rating.. and about 20$ cheaper a tire.

From DTD, and the wheel weights didnt even fall off on the driveway this time.

They are balanced oddly one has literally 1 tape weight on the whole wheel (1 segment)
another one has about 2x8segments almost matching on inboard and outboard offset by maybe 2-3"
but they all seem to roll ok in my 30mile highway trip earlier. 🤷‍♂️

Initial impressions are they roll with less resistance, small imperfections in the road surface are noticeable slightly more than stock tires.. talking about expansion joints etc,
but on bigger road bumps/potholes they are well composed and not harsh.

Of course I dont have an SRT-8 GJC.

I forget which test but someone rated these better in severe conditions than the ws-90 blizzaks. I almost went with the viking contact 7's since they are so good on the elantra but I wanted to try these michelins.
Going from my run-flat steamrollers, the ride quality increased massively, lol, but that's the case with any snow (or non RFT) on this thing. The RFT's are hard as rocks. My impressions so far are smooth and quiet. It's supposed to get cold this weekend, so I needed to get the summers off.

Reactions: JC1

they are top tier winter tires. la creme de la creme.
Between the Michelin X-ICE tires and the Bridgestone Blizzak, you really cannot get a better winter tire!

Well, finally they were mounted and we picked them up today:
View attachment 125535
View attachment 125536

I'm expecting great things from these tires, hopefully they don't disappoint!

Probably the biggest surprise was this:
View attachment 125537

Yep, these beauties were made right here in the GWN (in Nova Scotia).

I'll be putting the Hankook's on Kijiji, they have a ton of tread left, but sweet Jesus are they bad on ice.

Took about 30 minutes to get them on the Jeep, had my kids give me a hand. TPMS sensors picked-up after about 5 minutes of driving. My cheap replica wheels are starting to lose some of their paint, but of course that's why they are my winter wheels.

Somewhat OT, she's gonna need brakes soon:
View attachment 125538

Ugh.

I have the X-Ice, and also used the Blizzak DM-V2.

Both worked well and got me where I had to go, braking is really where it's at with dedicated winter tires.

That being said......to compare the two, the X-Ice have great traction, both straight and on curves, however the Blizzaks were hands down the better tire in the snow, was almost like the snow wasn't there. Braking with the Blizzaks is something to experience.....just incredible. About on par with summer tires on gravel when faced with a hard-packed, near icy surface.

The X-Ice tend to move away from your awareness that you have winter tires on dry pavement, the Blizzaks have a very slight squirmy feel on turns and start to make a slight bit of noise above 60 MPH, but nothing serious, the X-Ice are more sure footed and quieter.

Not sure if you were looking for a comparison, but hopefully helps others.

I would use either, but my next set to purchase will be the Blizzaks, no question.

I have used x-ice winters in some model or another since around 2006 i believe.
For my purpose i have found them to be outstanding tires ! at this time of year smooth silent ride , barely realize that i have winters on .
The only thing i feel they may give up is some deep snow traction .

Around 1995 when I used bridgestone winter tires on FWD then around year 2000's switch to Michelin X ice due low road noise,5 cars had them switch from mid november to march.They get old but never worn out after 8 winters their done.Costly and little work of installing,storage,cleaning etc but worth it.Stopping,traction,peace of mind.Lot of people said it's waste of money and time/labor etc.

I have used x-ice winters in some model or another since around 2006 i believe.
For my purpose i have found them to be outstanding tires ! at this time of year smooth silent ride , barely realize that i have winters on .
The only thing i feel they may give up is some deep snow traction .
Yep, that's my review of X-ice2's as well, and slush clearing isn't the greatest.
I guess if Michelin can make the Cross climate 2 civilized on the road(low NVH) then these new Xice must be pretty quiet too. If you look at them side by side, they are quite similar in land/sea ratio, and the Xice pretty much gives up on trying to hold snow in the tread for snow braking, but that should give better slush and water clearing for those of us who drive on salted roads. Probably there's better tires for driving in colder climates where salt isn't effective and they are on snow more, but for southern ontario, xice are a good tire.

I had one set of nokian winters don't remember the model the only way they were better than the X-ice was deep snow and thats it.
I found them very loud !
did not handle as well !
And one suffered from broken belts !

Lol, he ranks all three of them (VikingContact, X-Ice Snow, Nokian R5) as 1st, followed by Pirelli in 4th. Amusing.
Each has their advantages at different conditions and subjective feel. The wallet feel/weight is also an important factor when you are between all of those. Really can't go wrong either way. My kids cars have VC7 as sale prices made a huge influence. My Accord is on the Winter Command Ultra. I had balancing issues but they worked well. Definitely narrower tread as compared to others of the same size. Warranty prorate on failed WeatherReady so price was excellent.

I'd like to try the Michelin on next vehicle that needs them but will depend on sales at that time.

Costco has the $150 off a set Michelin for 2 weeks 11/14-11/28 if that influences anyone.

In this big test of 16 different studded and studless SUV 235/55R18 winter tires (by Motor Magazine of Norway) there are some interesting results:

The Nokian R5 outperforms the X-Ice Snow in acceleration on ice and handling on ice. They are equal in ice braking.

The Nokian R5 outperforms the X-Ice Snow in braking on snow and handling on snow. They are equal in acceleration on snow

The Nokian R5 outperforms the X-Ice Snow in braking on wet roads. The Michelin had the longest wet braking distances of the 8 studless tires tested. They are equal in braking on dry roads.

They are equal in handling on dry roads and wet roads.

The R5 had the lowest score for hydroplaning resistance among the 8 studless tires tested, and the SNOW had the 2nd lowest score. In other words, they are both mediocre in hydroplaning resistance.

NOKIAN R5 SUV: This year's big news in the segment is the Hakkapeliitta R5, which replaces the R3. The newcomer immediately becomes the class's new benchmark when it comes to winter grip.

Nokian takes full advantage in both the snow and ice disciplines.

Most impressive is the cornering grip on ice, where this, as the only stud-free tire, retains good controllability even on the wrong side of the grip limit.

The big promise vis-à-vis its predecessor is on the dry road, not least the fact that the noise level no longer creeps up towards tiring frequencies. The steering is somewhat smoother, and in the evasive maneuver test, the HKPL R5 reacts quickly and is still stable. Rolling resistance is the lowest of all.

The minus points are braking on wet roads and the aquaplaning properties, but the test's best winter grip gives the Nokian the win.

PLUS:

Best grip on ice, handling on all surfaces, rolling resistance.

MINUS:

Braking distance wet road, aquaplaning

MICHELIN SNOW SUV: The Michelin tire is one of those that benefit the most from the shift to the SUV class's higher dimension. Their X-Ice Snow has previously been one of the stiffest tires that has had good bare ground stability, but has not been as good on wintry surfaces.

This time the Michelin tire is among the very best on ice. The slightly coarser pattern also provides good grip on snow. They have prioritized grip in the longitudinal direction - start and brake - and do not have as much lateral grip as the best in the winter disciplines.

The X-Ice Snow performs all the better in the turns in the asphalt tests, where they manage high forces against the sides and have good steering response.

The minus point is primarily the wet grip, the weakest of all. This means that the Michelin tire ends up in fourth place.

PLUS:

Braking distances on snow/ice. Stability and steering feel on asphalt.

MINUS:

Grip on wet roads, aquaplaning.

• The ice and snow tests were carried out with the four-wheel drive Volvo XC40 in Älvsbyn in Sweden at the beginning of February. The ABS and anti-skid electronic assistance systems were engaged, with the anti-skid system in sport mode to allow a little more wheel spin and skid angle to enhance the character of the tires - and to provide better flow in the ride.
  • The braking and acceleration tests were carried out with a two-wheel drive Volvo XC40 in Arctic Falls Indoor outside Piteå in Sweden. The measurements started and ended at 5 km/h, instead of stationary, to minimize the margin of error that could arise from the car's own technology (ABS and anti-spin).
  • The asphalt measurements on dry and wet surfaces were carried out in Tammersfors in Finland at the beginning of May, also with the Volvo XC40 as test car. The fuel measurement was done on a circular track at a constant speed (60 km/h) with a VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI.
  • For all test disciplines, the results are adjusted against own reference tires that are not included in the test itself, but are used diligently to see how the level of grip changes over time.
  • All tires have the dimension 235/55 R18. Speed index H = 210 km/h, T = 190 km/h.

Last edited:
Back