Metered dispensing device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can I get a syringe type device(easy to find and cheap) to measure a few ounces and easily inject them? I haven't noticed one anywhere. The first use will be adding LS FM in my diff to tune it perfectly. I can think of other uses such as fuel additives, AutoRX,Neutra etc...
I know I can get some from Cole-Parmer, but that meets neither qualification of cheap or easy to get.
Thanks

Most of the auto-parts places around here sell exactly what you want, think it's called a 'mixmaster' or something like that. Look near the 2-cycle oils; it's a syringe with a graduated scale on the side...

If you really cant find one, let me know and I'll mail you one.

hth,
Robert

Thanks. Guess I never needed one so I never noticed it. I'll have to look more closely. (Don't go to auto parts store much anymore either so that could be why. Get my oil by mail. Same with most of my car parts or from dealer.)

Pharmacies sell various plastic irrigation syringes. The materials won't hold up to long term petroleum use but they're calibrated & reasonably cheap.

For ths kind of thing I usually just measure with my mix-rite or a calibrated canning jar
smile.gif
& use a funnel. Granted, axles & transfer cases are my least favorite.

David

Yikes I can't imagine doing that with a funnel, especially trying to add 1/2oz to a diff. I'd live with the premix LS gear oil first!
But I'll look at pharmacy too. Thanks

I need something like this too! I need something to measure out an ounce or two of Neutra to add to my fuel each fillup, but it has to be something simple I can keep in my car and won't get contaminated (like an open measuring container would)

I took one of my empty Neutra bottles and filled it from a measuring cup, marking every 2oz. A clear bottle would be simpler. Say, an additive bottle with a sight-window up the side.

quote:

Originally posted by OneQuartLow:
I took one of my empty Neutra bottles and filled it from a measuring cup, marking every 2oz. A clear bottle would be simpler. Say, an additive bottle with a sight-window up the side.

The only thing I dislike about Neutra other than it's awful smell, is that it comes in a translucent container.

Found today: Mix-Mizer, a 2 oz. plastic syringe w/4" hose, $3 at WM & KM. Probably availble lots of other places, surely what's referred to above. I'd never noticed them before.

*The Find*: After finding nothing at Harbor Freight, went in to the "Everything's $1.00" store next door. Asked if they had any kind of measured plastic bottles. She led me to the women's hair stuff, there were Hair Color Applicator bottles, 2 for $1. Look like small ketchup/mustard squeeze bottles once common in cafes & burger doodles. Marked in mL, in (almost)ounce intervals, see-through! Highest marking is 256 mL. They have a cap on the spout, hold ~9 oz total.
So, if this sounds useable to you, look around for them. Or maybe you can find some see-through ketchup/mustard squeeze bottles at your supermarket kitchen dept. Then with a Sharpie & measuring cup, or Mix-Mizer, make your own markings!

BTW: The label on the bottles I bought also says,"Enhance Your Beauty". I feel better-lookin' already!
grin.gif

[ January 21, 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
Found today: Mix-Mizer, a 2 oz. plastic syringe w/4" hose, $3 at WM & KM. Probably availble lots of other places, surely what's referred to above. I'd never noticed them before.

I've got two of those actually! They have them at Walmarts here. One I use for power steering fluid draining, the other I used to measure out 3oz of Auto-rx with. I find the syringe part kind of clunky though, it's hard to quickly suck up the right amount of fluid. Plus it would be difficult to suck the Neutra out of the bottle since that hose won't reach all the way down when the bottle is near the end.

I suppose it's better than nothing though, so I might just pick up a third one to use for Neutra usage.

McMaster-Carr is a big industrial supply outfit that carries them. I just got some syringes recently for work, they have all sorts of sizes and sell tips too. They're on-line at www.mcmaster.com enter "syringe" into the search window.

[ January 21, 2003, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Rick in PA ]

hehehe,
when I had a Torana fitted with 3 S.U. carbys, I was experimenting with dashpot oil. Thus I had to suck it out, flush it, and refill with a metered quantity.

So I went to the chemist over the road, and told him I wanted to buy a syringe.

He looked at me wierd and said 'NO" (this was in the days before they handed them out free to druggies). No way was I getting a syringe, with or without needle.

So I parked the car out the front, showed him what I was doing and he gave me a handfull of plastic, and two glass ones for nothing.

Some fuel additves have handy package sizes (e.g. "flashlube" upper cylinder lube has a 50ml bottle with 10ml graduations, and it's a little squeeze bottle)

[ January 22, 2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Shannow ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back