Metals in oil of new engines: Who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently not the engineers at Honda and Toyota. I just got the second UOA back on our 2011 Honda V6 VCM. By following the MM precisely as instructed by the manufacturer and dealer, oil changes were indicated and performed at 6300, then 6400 miles. Cu dropped from 258 to 99. Apparently, completely normal and no cause for concern.

My 2012 Toyota V6 calls for 10,000 mile OCIs from the start without even an oil monitor. They know this engine will be swimming in metals for at least a year or two, on purpose. Obviously, this is of no concern whatsoever by the engineers ofthese two fine companies. Worrying about it must simply be an old wives tale.

Fe 49 to 26
Al 17 to 10

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Obviously, this is of no concern whatsoever by the engineers ofthese two fine companies. Worrying about it must simply be an old wives tale.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or what.

I haven't heard of any issues with engines dying prematurely due to not changing the FF early, so I personally don't see a problem either.

On my last three new cars I've done early oil/filter changes. (A little under 3k miles for each.) In every instance, I noticed/felt the enging run much smoother. Very obvious difference. I personally would not wait till 6-10k to change the FF. But in the long run who knows if it make a difference...for me, it just feels like the "right" thing to do.

I don't believe anyone really thinks it's healthy for an engine to be swimming in wear metals. But the manufacturer doesn't want to bother the customer, the dealership, or themselves with the time and expense of doing an extra oil change. They know the engine will last a long time regardless.
Getting the debris out of a recently broken in engine is still preferable to leaving it in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Obviously, this is of no concern whatsoever by the engineers ofthese two fine companies. Worrying about it must simply be an old wives tale.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or what.

I haven't heard of any issues with engines dying prematurely due to not changing the FF early, so I personally don't see a problem either.

I am completely serious.

Originally Posted By: armos
I don't believe anyone really thinks it's healthy for an engine to be swimming in wear metals.

With the empirical evidence presented by these two late model vehicles, one can only conclude that Honda and Toyota engineers believe these metals do no harm.

Last edited:
Appearently we don't know what we are talking about and the real engineers do. Filters are in place to protect the engine against the harmfull size bits.

I think using the word "debris" is an exaggeration...

IMO, the additional wear caused by FF break-in particulates is minuscule.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Appearently we don't know what we are talking about and the real engineers do. Filters are in place to protect the engine against the harmfull size bits.

Large particles, sure but the ultra fine bits are still floating around, acting like sand paper. Whether this actually does any long term harm hasn't been proven, although I'm sure the engineers tested this.

As someone mentioned above, the manufacturers don't want to add the hassle or expense of draining the factory fill early. I'm sure the block will be just fine either way. Who knows, maybe the metal bits flowing around act like sand paper, budding the engine surfaces, scraping away any rough places. Maybe this benefits the block, who knows.

I personally choose to drain the FF early, at like 60-70% oil life left on my Honda's OLM. Even earlier on the cars I REALLY like, in hopes of helping the engine last longer and perform better at the same time.

Agree 100%. Early oil changes were required in oil engines with no filters or filters with poor filtration.

Early oil change during break-in INCREASES wear as new oils have inactive AW protection.

Now, if people are so concerned about this "problem" here, how come we don't hear about changing oils in transmissions and diffs after first 1000 miles. Many of those DON'T have filters and could actually benefit.

Yep.

Much ado about nothing, and the way Honda and Toyota engineers handle it proves it to me.

These cars have engines that with by the book maintenance last easily over 200k miles usually much more.

Last edited:
Do you guys really and truly believe that if it was up to the engineers, with the main goal being to do everything possible to extend engine life, that they would still actually suggest that you DON'T drain the FF because it does absolutely zero harm and to keep it flowing through the engine for 10,000 miles...?

Engineers design the block with longevity in mind but then the accountant team takes over and starts cutting corners in order to... You guessed it, save money. Many dealerships offer free oil changes for x amount of miles and an extra oil change x 300,000 cars = a lot of extra expenses that they COULD avoid.

Take 2 cars with engines spec'd & tolerances exactly the same.

Car #1: Change the oil at 6,300 miles for the 1st time + 6,300 miles for the next several times while the "Metal Soup" slowly reduces.

Car #2: Change the oil at 1,000 miles, 2,500 miles, 4,500 miles & at 6,300 miles.

Then treat both cars & engines exactly the same in controlled test circumstances.

I BET the engine with the additional initial oil changes that removes the "Metal Soup" earlier has less internal wear and will last longer than the one that has the metal swirl in the oil longer.

Now, does it really matter, as both will go a very long time and run just fine? Probably not, but I believe that would be the situation!

Originally Posted By: Artem
Do you guys really and truly believe that if it was up to the engineers, with the main goal being to do everything possible to extend engine life, that they would still actually suggest that you DON'T drain the FF because it does absolutely zero harm and to keep it flowing through the engine for 10,000 miles...?

Engineers design the block with longevity in mind but then the accountant team takes over and starts cutting corners in order to... You guessed it, save money. Many dealerships offer free oil changes for x amount of miles and an extra oil change x 300,000 cars = a lot of extra expenses that they COULD avoid.

Irrespective of whether the oil can last the interval before breaking down, I don't think that the wear metals in the FF produce anything more than a negligible amount of additional wear. If you want a definitive answer, I don't have one, since I haven't seen a tear-down comparison between groups of cars that dump the factory fill early and those that ran the full initial interval, all subsequent maintenance and driving styles being the same as well.

Unfortunately, a study like this will probably never be generated, so the best can do is keep an eye on those who are kind of enough to post up FF UOA, and then update with subsequent UOA throughout the life of the car.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Car #1: Change the oil at 6,300 miles for the 1st time + 6,300 miles for the next several times while the "Metal Soup" slowly reduces.

Car #2: Change the oil at 1,000 miles, 2,500 miles, 4,500 miles & at 6,300 miles.

Then treat both cars & engines exactly the same in controlled test circumstances.

I BET the engine with the additional initial oil changes that removes the "Metal Soup" earlier has less internal wear and will last longer than the one that has the metal swirl in the oil longer.

Now, does it really matter, as both will go a very long time and run just fine? Probably not, but I believe that would be the situation!

What do you think the difference would be, though? 550k vs 500k? 550k vs 150k? Is there an increased risk of wear-related engine issues, such as consumption and leakage? I don't have anything to go on, but I'm going to stick with saying it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: armos
I don't believe anyone really thinks it's healthy for an engine to be swimming in wear metals. But the manufacturer doesn't want to bother the customer, the dealership, or themselves with the time and expense of doing an extra oil change. They know the engine will last a long time regardless.
Getting the debris out of a recently broken in engine is still preferable to leaving it in.

I agree. Also keep in mind, all they have to worry about is the engine surviving the warranty period, after that they could care less what happens. Does an early oil change matter? Maybe, it depends who you ask, its a hot topic around here that's for sure. I want that junk out early. JMO

Great question.
thumbsup2.gif

I don't know and won't know.

Bearing wear should increase + some oil burning, but we cannot prove how much.

So if you are that worried, change the oil earlier. If you are that angry about it, buy something else. don't let it get to you. It isn't worth it.

Last edited:

Nicely put and i fully agree with you. None of us want metallic, abrasive oil flowing through the block, so i don't understand why the initial thousand miles of an engine's life is so different and many of us think "it's ok"...

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Irrespective of whether the oil can last the interval before breaking down, I don't think that the wear metals in the FF produce anything more than a negligible amount of additional wear. If you want a definitive answer, I don't have one, since I haven't seen a tear-down comparison between groups of cars that dump the factory fill early and those that ran the full initial interval, all subsequent maintenance and driving styles being the same as well.

Unfortunately, a study like this will probably never be generated, so the best can do is keep an eye on those who are kind of enough to post up FF UOA, and then update with subsequent UOA throughout the life of the car.

We can easily take two lawnmowers, run em for 5 minutes to warm up the blocks then change the FF in one of them. Continue to run them both for say 5 hours a day each and every day for a year (cold starts each morning to simulate real life) and then disassemble the blocks after a year and examine the wear.

This test could be replicated time and time again with two or even more pairs running at the same time to confirm the results with the second batch of engines.

Maybe even throw in a third mower in there that will get oil changes every 3 months to really kick it up a notch and see how oil changes will reduce total engine wear as well.

Something like this could very easily be done by someone living in an area without any neighbors near by, which will complain about the constant noise day in and day out. Seems to me like the results will easily prove this debate since from what i know, lawn mower engines down have oil filters (the regular mowers anyway).

Thoughts? Sounds like a $2-3,000 dollar experiment to get data from several engines.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What do you think the difference would be, though? 550k vs 500k? 550k vs 150k? Is there an increased risk of wear-related engine issues, such as consumption and leakage? I don't have anything to go on, but I'm going to stick with saying it doesn't matter.

It's not a matter of how many more miles engine A will go vs engine B but more so of reducing engine wear PERIOD (which is why we're all here for, right?).

I've seem identical stock cars on the dyno putting out very different numbers (even though they are the same). Taking into account minor manufacturing differences since no two blocks are the same, i'd expect a 2-3HP difference, 4-5hp at the most but these engine were 10-15hp apart. Mileage was close. We can argue what is causing the power difference all day but it could be as simple as the break-in procedure / maintenance.

We can argue what is causing the power difference all day but it could be as simple as the break-in procedure / maintenance.

But which break-in procedure results in better dyno numbers? How do we know that it's not the engines that had the FF stay in longer that broke-in better? Just asking...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
We can argue what is causing the power difference all day but it could be as simple as the break-in procedure / maintenance.

But which break-in procedure results in better dyno numbers? How do we know that it's not the engines that had the FF stay in longer that broke-in better? Just asking...

Because technically... the engine with the least amount of engine wear should technically be performing better. Everything points to that conclusion, otherwise we'd all be purposely causing engine wear to our motors in order to get them to perform better, which doesn't make any sense.

Now which engine had which break-in method / maintenance performed is something we'll never know because i witnessed those dyno sessions before i joined this site and because an oil addict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back