Mercedes Roadster, 1962

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor has a Mercedes-Benz Type (W121 II) 190SL roadster-cabriolet. He asked me for an oil recomendation. I told him that I have no idea what Mercedes recommended for these cars. He apparently has had a falling-out with his mechanic who was his only source of information. Can anyone here direct me towards a Mercedes' recommendation? I am guessing that in '62 it was staight 30 weight.

Anyone out there with access to an original manual? Or better yet, does anyone know of current Mercedes recommendations for cars of that era?

Of course any current 15W-40 is an excellent choice as it will GREATLY EXCEED the 1962 MB standards. The gasser MB's from the '70-'80's and well into the '90's routinely spec'ed a HDEO (i.e. dual certification as in SF/CD) so going with a more modern version will be great year-round protection in all but the absolutely coldest climates. If he went with a 5W-40 like Rotella T or with Amsoil AME in 15W-40 it would just be iceing on the freezer cake, so to speak...

Cheers!

Gentlemen,

I recently picked up a really nice 1995 Mercedes E320 from a local independent Mercedes shop. I am pretty impressed with it, even observing about 24 mpg. They also sell even older Mercedes which customers just don't want any more, for whatever reason. Either gas or diesel powered, they use Pennzoil 15w-40. There is not much bandwidth devoted to that particular oil on this site, however.

I know they service some built back in the 1970s, which get that, too. So if the opinion of some guys charged with keeping some nice old MB cars on the road applies even to this particular car, I'd go with a HDEO 15w-40. I bet the Shell and Chevron products are good, too.

Interesting that more gas engine cars don't use these oils. I've used a flashlight to peer into the engine afer removing the oil fill cap. I can see a fair amount of metal parts in there, with no hint of sludge or even varnish. It looks practically new! I don't know what Mercedes is calling for in their newer cars, but for those of us with older Benzes, this kind of oil seems to be just what the doctor ordered.

Regards,
Jett Rink

A guy I work with had an early 70s 450SL and he was told to run 20w50 in this car by the local Mercedes shop. He only drove it May-Sept so cold temps were never an issue and I think the sump held 8 quarts. From talking to him, or should I say listening to him, it sounds like these older Mercedes like/need a thicker oil. I'd agree with the previous posters, a 15w40 HDEO would probably be safe.

I too would agree with the 15-40. It has to be the most robust dino out there. Otherwise, he/she could try a 5-40, which is the synth. replacement for that grade.

Benz dealers put 2 4qt cans of straight 30 weight oil in my old SL. I eventually switched to Castrol 20w50. Then Mobil I came out in 5w20 cans with 25000 mile oil changes.
I wrote mercedes and they sent me a list of recommended oils. They recommended the heaviest oil for my driving conditions. They said they had not tested the Mobil I and could not recommend it until they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back