Mercedes 722.9 transmission 3-4 upshift flare only when cold.

This is on my 2007 S550 with 140K. I just replaced the TCU/conductor plate to address a bunch of codes that always came back after clearing, and for being stuck in first gear. At that time I took the valve body apart for cleaning, but it wasn’t dirty, and I changed the fluid and filter, neither of which were dirty either and there were minimal debris on the magnets.

Now all engine and transmission code are gone and it shifts fine after it’s warmed up. The problem is that before it’s warmed up, the 3-4 shift has an annoying flare. Like if I’m accelerating in 3rd at 2,000 rpm when it shifts, the rpms will go to 3,000 for an instant until the shift is completed. I reset whatever adaptations my Autel scan tool offered including the relevant solenoid.

Any insight or suggestions? Maybe a worn valve in the valve body? Or do I have to drive it more so the TCU learns the hardware? I’ve only driven 20 miles. As the weather is turning colder and warmup takes longer, I can envision this getting annoying and I rather not wait until next summer to sell.

The the transmission filled in accordance with the MB procedure? The transmission is likely a ZF and they are a bit finicky about the fluid level.

This is on my 2007 S550 with 140K. I just replaced the TCU/conductor plate to address a bunch of codes that always came back after clearing, and for being stuck in first gear. At that time I took the valve body apart for cleaning, but it wasn’t dirty, and I changed the fluid and filter, neither of which were dirty either and there were minimal debris on the magnets.

Now all engine and transmission code are gone and it shifts fine after it’s warmed up. The problem is that before it’s warmed up, the 3-4 shift has an annoying flare. Like if I’m accelerating in 3rd at 2,000 rpm when it shifts, the rpms will go to 3,000 for an instant until the shift is completed. I reset whatever adaptations my Autel scan tool offered including the relevant solenoid.

Any insight or suggestions? Maybe a worn valve in the valve body? Or do I have to drive it more so the TCU learns the hardware? I’ve only driven 20 miles. As the weather is turning colder and warmup takes longer, I can envision this getting annoying and I rather not wait until next summer to sell.
I have no speccific knowledge of Benz trasmissions but if it has adaptive learning capabilities and you reset the ECM best bet is to drive it.. thru quite a few ignition cycles. Back when I dealt with that sort of thing with Allisons, it took them 25 ignition cycles to complete a relearn process.. have no idea what Benz requires... but general relearn process should involve relatively low throttle inputs say 30% tps or so, let the trans shift thru all the gears, brake to a stop, and repeat the shift thru all the gears process..

on an Allison it might take awhile.. on my Mopar it is the same way... takes awhile...

Back