Meet Your 2012 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have to defend Hondas in general as one of the least 'appliance like' of the econoboxes out there.

Typically a satisfying car to drive, and for me that's a BIG compliment. I'm no fan of FWD.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I'd have to defend Hondas in general as one of the least 'appliance like' of the econoboxes out there.

Typically a satisfying car to drive, and for me that's a BIG compliment. I'm no fan of FWD.

Is it weird that we agree fully?
thumbsup2.gif

Having another look at it, I actually like it more than I thought I would. I still think it was too little for a new model, but I liked the last one, so.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Having another look at it, I actually like it more than I thought I would.

Same here...It actually looks like the perfect car for the Critic.

Honda got lazy not to do a major redesign on the Civic.

I can break 41 MPG with a 2007 Civic EX so I don't know why Honda needs an HF model Civic.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I have a cheap car myself, but I couldnt even sit in a civc passenger seat - no room for my feet! What kind of engineering/ergonomics is that? Accords may be Great but the last civic I liked was MANY years ago (in the eighties) and the new ones based on strut suspension are big and heavy without being roomy in actual use.
Just looked at phoyo of coupe - looks like tweak of existing car. That Disaster called dual level dash is still there?! Mr. Honda must be spinning ...

Wow, you must be a giant. One of my lunch buddies has a current gen civic, and I routinely sit comfortably in the backseat - it is better than another friend's taurus or my MIL's camry, that's for sure. Im 6'4 and about 250 also...

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

I can break 41 MPG with a 2007 Civic EX so I don't know why Honda needs an HF model Civic.
21.gif

IMO it is better not to redesign all the time. First, make something that is tried and true and all the folks that plan on driving it into the ground will love you for it.

I don't know if this is helping my case or not, but look at the Ford Ranger. They found a style that worked and just added finishing touches here and there over the years. What, like 18 years with only new headlights? I'd like to find a decent style then focus on making the reliability and ease of maintenance better than having new, cutting-edge styling every 4 years. If it works, it works. No need to change it.

And to a previous poster, not what I'd call a lightweight, but at 2588 lbs it it totally decent in this day and age of bloated whales. Still about 250-300lbs overweight but not bad at all.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_E...p;trimid=112160

21.gif

Can't compare (IMHO) actual MPG achieved in one particular situation (yours) with an EPA rating.

Assuming your '07 Civic EX has a manual, it's rated 26/34. If it's the automatic, it's rated 25/36. Either way, at 41mpg, you're blowing by the EPA estimate by at least 15%. Either your particular car is freakishly frugal, or you're driving under some pretty ideal (for MPG) situations.

If you had a '12 HF model, rated for 41mpg, you should probably expect to get well north of 41mpg out of it, driven under the same circumstances as your '07 model.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
As said in Motor Trend recently regarding the Crosstour, 'Honda, hire yourself a [darn] designer.'

lol.gif

I don't get the Crosstour.
"We're going to make a 5-door, just like Mazda has been doing with the 626 and 6 until the current model... but we gotta' put chunky truck wheels on it. No reason. We just want chunky truck wheels."

I think this Civic just may be the most mild refresh ever. They really phoned this one in. 91-92 significant change. 95-96, significant change, 00-01 change in style and suspension...

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Besides, whats not to like? With a MT it has everything that you need to zip around your average leviathan SUV and get you to where you need to go.

1192271964_oVUqX-XL.jpg

WHY COULDN'T HONDA OFFER THIS CIVIC WITH A 5DR HATCHBACK VERSION? It looks like it was designed for it. The biggest thing preventing me from considering a Civic thesedays is the lack of a practical hb version. They coudl even make it a notchback so it wouldn't offend sedan buyers !

Last edited:
Quote:
Either your particular car is freakishly frugal, or you're driving under some pretty ideal (for MPG) situations.

Florida is flat as a pancake and I take the highway early in the morning with almost no traffic, that same road is a parking lot at 8 AM. Even our old 1998 Civic EX could break 40 MPG. People look at me if I am crazy when I tell them my 6 speed Corvette can get 30 MPH on the highway.

A properly tuned car with proper air pressure can break the MPG ratings without any trouble.

People look at me if I am crazy when I tell them my 6 speed Corvette can get 30 MPH on the highway.

If I'm pedaling downhill, I can get 30mph on my bicycle on the highway, too!

Even with 4.10 gears and a Maggy-Lingenfelter blower, my brother's '99 C5 6-speed will best 30mpg on the road. My '97 Cadillac SLS would best 30mpg on the road also. Nobody would believe me. GM in particular has had some engines that would really surprise you (in a good way) with the fuel economy that they would return.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
As said in Motor Trend recently regarding the Crosstour, 'Honda, hire yourself a [censored] designer.'

Is this the best they could come up with the extra year for the redesign?

While it's not ***** like the Crosstour, or a whale like the Accord, imo it's nothing special either.

I must be one of the few people to actually LIKE the crosstour. This though, looks too much like a Monte Carlo at the back. Not really a fan of that roof line at the rear.

Quote:
If I'm pedaling downhill, I can get 30mph on my bicycle on the highway, too!

Good catch on my mistake, I've driven from FL to SC and never dipped below 30 MPG with the A/C on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back