Mechanic Starter Set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting together a full starter set for my son for Christmas, he's just recently getting into my craft so I want to be supportive. Here's what I have so far:

-Craftsman 5 Drawer Tool Center with Riser from Kmart $79 on Black Friday
-Craftsman 311 Piece Tool set I had laying around
-Craftsman Drawer Liner
-9 Piece Garage Starter Kit - Advance Auto - Included Creeper, Wheel Chocks, Magnetic Tool Holder, Filter Wrench, Drain Pan, 2 Jackstands, 1 Jack - Paid $30 with coupons
-2 Torque Wrenches - Advance Auto - Paid $20 Total
-Craigslist Buy - $100 - 2 Hitachi Cordless Drills with batteries and flashlight, Orbital sander, Sawzaw, Craftsman corded 1/2" Impact Wrench, and various tools that could use a good cleaning.

What else am I missing? Trying to stay budget friendly.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: jdirtrider
What?
A hammer

Good call Chris142! Knew posting this would be worthwhile, its the little things I knew I'd forget!
10.gif
10.gif

Tools I use a lot:

Nice ratchets and a couple big breaker bars from Harbor Freight, cheater pipe.

Pliers, needle noses, telescoping magnetic pick up tool, waterless hand cleaner, gloves, fingernail cleaner brush that never seems to do anything, battery terminal cleaner.

After using a 1/4" Craftsmen ratchet and dismissing 1/4" as a mere toy, I bought a nice 1/4" ratchet from HF and now love 1/4" sockets. Great for getting in tight spaces and light and easy to use.

BFH is a big hammer. You know, when things need a little extra persuasion.

Cordless impact wrenches are used a lot now days.

My son is a diesel mechanic and often buys Snap-on tools at a huge discount from guys getting out of the biz. Other brands too for even less.

We got him started 30 years ago with Craftsman.

Last edited:
Stuff you can't live without, IMO:

Pliers (Kobalt has a set now for $10),
Screwdrivers (lots of good options),
Punches & chisels
Hammers, big and smaller (claw hammers are inappropriate for mechanical work)

Stuff that's good to have:

Pry bars
Big 1/2" breaker bar
Set of square drive extensions (including the really long ones)
1/2" torque wrench
Impact sockets -
smile.gif

Socket organizers
Long flex-head ratchets
Dead-blow plastic hammer

Last edited:
I like box end wrench sets. I have combo wrenches also. A small tool caddy. I am always working on stuff outside, so I bring my starting tools in the caddy. Over the next hour more tools will be added to the caddy (rather than leaving some on the ground). And the end I bring the tool caddy back and (hopefully) put the tools away.

I also have a HF socket set I often bring outside. I am less careful with HF sockets than my Wright Tools sockets.

Grease gun?

Utility knives, cheap grinder, sawzall, LED utility light, 100 pk nitrile gloves, paper towels, kitty litter, tire gauge, battery terminal cleaner.

I take it you have adequate sockets (17-22mm) for lug nuts to go with that torque wrench.

I don't know if your tool set includes: Star Bits, Brake Sockets (inverted Torx) Hex Drivers, Serpentine Belt tools and other common service tools. Sun BA7 is also a great battery tester. Just a few ideas from general service work.

C clamp
punches
chisels
Test light from harbor freight (works just as good as tool truck brands)
Strap wrench (the one with a 3/8 and 1/2 square drive on either end used with a ratchet)
Digital calipers (to mic rotors, make sure it's one with little points that extend out so rust on edges don't throw off the measurement)

Don't forget the all important flash light!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back