MC FL-500S vs BOSS 22500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: WellOiled
BTW, I want to thank Zee for providing the links. This really helps my understanding.

You're welcome WellOiled, did you also find a PDF copy of ISO 4548-12 on line to see how walks through the efficiency testing? There's a few out there (older copies), but the newer versions they want you to buy to see the entire document.

No, not yet. But the new standard does in fact detail the differences. I was thinking about trying to write up a summary of the key differences in lay terms. However, there is much to get your arms around. Parts of ISO standards in general can be boring so I fell asleep.
wink.gif

Yes, it's a lot to digest and shows it's really a pretty complicated process to test oil filters per ISO 4548-12. Guess that's why the SWRI charges so much to run the test, something around $1600 per oil filter. LINK

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The Fram document says there after 98.67%. The marketers can and do extrapolate graphs. People here do it all the time too. There is very little difference between 98.7 and 99, or 100, but to a marketer, they know it means a lot to customers eyes. I don't know why it became a big discussion, it's pretty clear.

That's why it became a big discussion, because it's a big deal to customers and marketers, not to mention that many of us are interested in the mathematical rationale. Our gas pumps, for instance, show fuel dispensed to the nearest millilitre. I know that's not even remotely realistic, but at least I know the mathematical rationale.

Note also, that technically, the difference between 98.7 and 99.9 is fairly significant to the number of particles being stopped, all things considered and taking these numbers as properly accurate, which, of course, hasn't been demonstrated beyond a reasonable doubt in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back