Mazda TSB for 2.5T Engines

Mine VIN was outside of scope, but I'm not convinced I won't see this issue. They think it's valve stem issues. What's strange is Mazda thinks people using a qt or so (sometimes only 1/2 qt) per 4-5k miles is a problem. The folks on the Mazda groups are throwing a fit because of it and don't seem to understand that by today's standards, it's not that high. However, these engines are not known to consume oil. Must be nice having an EV LOL.

FYI

255218506_2089078271246046_75211563583204405_n.jpg

251966679_2089078287912711_4117023045053654546_n.jpg

The thought of not having to be concerned about some of the common drivetrain issues that plague many cars is appealing. I'm sure they will have issues of their own.

I have been very pleased with my 2019 Mazda CX 5 with the 2.5 liter turbo engine. The Skyactiv engines had been developing a good reputation for performance and reliability.

However I may be having a change of opinion if the number of cars reporting this issue turns out to be high. Mine falls within the VIN range so I am keeping a careful eye on the coolant level. And keeping my fingers crossed. For some reason I can't attach the PDF of the TSB from Mazda issued on 10/15/21 but here is the link from the CX 5 Forum. It concerns coolant leaks due to cracked cylinder heads.
I hope this doesn't break any Forum rules

I hope they have a fix soon. My CX-30 Turbo has been in once already for the low oil issue.

From what I've read it appears the oil level can be at full for the first 3k miles, then shortly after it drops off rather quickly. Oil consumption seems to average .5-1.0qt. It's not unusually high for a modern engine by today's standards. They did acknowledge it though as an issue through the TSB.

Mine VIN was outside of scope, but I'm not convinced I won't see this issue. They think it's valve stem issues. What's strange is Mazda thinks people using a qt or so (sometimes only 1/2 qt) per 4-5k miles is a problem. The folks on the Mazda groups are throwing a fit because of it and don't seem to understand that by today's standards, it's not that high. However, these engines are not known to consume oil. Must be nice having an EV LOL.

FYI

View attachment 81072

View attachment 81071
It is a problem, a big one.
When oil ends up in combustion process it will kill sooner or later catalytic converter. Not to mention that leaky valve stems means smoke after idling.

Probably they will. I would suspect they have already used different stems on turbo engine due to higher temperatures. If they didn’t, well here is result.
Mazda should know better than this, they have been manufacturing/selling turbocharged vehicles since 1987. Mazda has had issues with previous turbocharged vehicles, one would think that they learned something from them. My guess is either a newer technology they were trying or defective parts.

Mazda should know better than this, they have been manufacturing/selling turbocharged vehicles since 1987. Mazda has had issues with previous turbocharged vehicles, one would think that they learned something from them. My guess is either a newer technology they were trying or defective parts.
They should, but who knows. They could think that stems from naturally aspirated is ok, and maybe showed ok during testing. Maybe they did just limited tests and then bunch of simulation.
BMW did that on N63 engines. They did a lot of simulation in an engine that has hot bay turbos and runs super hot in regular cycles. And they had to do stems too.

Those darn Germans
Well, that is why BMW V8 is big no (at least prior to TU version).
I always wondered what made Mazda offer turbo to soccer moms crowd? I mean, yes, there are some who buy for performance, but initially their thinking was to offer torque to moms, literally. During planning phase they fallowed people (moms as they stated) from dropping kids to school and daycares , and determined that they drive much faster then initially thought. They came to conclusion that a lot of low end torque would be preferable.
But, if anyone pays attention how soccer moms drive, one would see WOT when engine is dead cold. Every morning I take my kids to school and daycare I am crawling to warm up engine, and these minivans, SUVs’ are just flying by me.
Toyota, Honda, VW, Hyundai etc. all kept V6’s for that crowd. Turbo is really not good choice for them.

I always wondered what made Mazda offer turbo to soccer moms crowd?

They felt that the naturally aspirated 2.5 was not enough for the CX9. Once that came out there was a big demand for the same motor to go into the CX5 which it is now on the higher trim levels.

There is a change afoot as the integration with Toyota is coming along. I’m sure that will elicit more smart ash remarks from you.

How much oil did it use and over what mileage?
The low oil light turned on at about 3800mile after I took delivery. Added 1 quart. Changed oil at 4800mile. Oil light came on again at 7500 mile and I took it into the dealer. The topped it off and I am now at 10k mile and will be changing oil soon. Will check level again.

They felt that the naturally aspirated 2.5 was not enough for the CX9. Once that came out there was a big demand for the same motor to go into the CX5 which it is now on the higher trim levels.

There is a change afoot as the integration with Toyota is coming along. I’m sure that will elicit more smart ash remarks from you.
I know they needed torque. And, yes, turbo 4 makes it easy to fit into various applications, but IMO V6 would be better for CX9 etc. As for Toyota, as long as they skip 90% of vehicle, it might be actually good!

Back