Mazda Changed the Maximum OCI for SkyActiv Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Mini changed their OCI from 15k to 10k at some point. I remember thinking it was crazy that a family members Mini Cooper S had 15k intervals. The OLM didn't seem to care the thing was run hard either, I think it was only based on mileage (my 08 Honda seemed to have a much better OLM). Plenty of stories of sludged up MINI engines if I remember correctly. So maybe Mazda noticed something?

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/04/16/mini-shortens-oil-change-interval/

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I remember Mini changed their OCI from 15k to 10k at some point. I remember thinking it was crazy that a family members Mini Cooper S had 15k intervals. The OLM didn't seem to care the thing was run hard either, I think it was only based on mileage (my 08 Honda seemed to have a much better OLM). Plenty of stories of sludged up MINI engines if I remember correctly. So maybe Mazda noticed something?

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/04/16/mini-shortens-oil-change-interval/

Correct, there have been several instances of shortening or reprogramming. From what I can gather, the OLM systems which get very little resistance here are those from GM, Ford, Honda and Toyota. You could possible throw BMW and Mercedes in with that grouping as well but there's not as much discussion on their systems.

Originally Posted By: Trav
After seeing the condition inside some engines that used the OLM I wouldn't trust one. How many times do we see manufacturers change their mind and shorted the OCI after engines start having issues.

Unfortunately, many cars can not be updated. In order to update the first OLM Honda/Acuras, they would have to replace the complete gauge module as the software could not be programmed. And now we are replacing engines like there is no tomorrow. V6 blocks are on backorder, they can't build them fast enough.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
After seeing the condition inside some engines that used the OLM I wouldn't trust one. How many times do we see manufacturers change their mind and shorted the OCI after engines start having issues.

Unfortunately, many cars can not be updated. In order to update the first OLM Honda/Acuras, they would have to replace the complete gauge module as the software could not be programmed. And now we are replacing engines like there is no tomorrow. V6 blocks are on backorder, they can't build them fast enough.

Wow really? And these failures are attributed to oil being used too long? Are they being warranty replaced since the owners followed the OLM?

And now we are replacing engines like there is no tomorrow. V6 blocks are on backorder, they can't build them fast enough.

I wish I could find or would have saved the article and document from Honda where they said the move to xw20 was strictly for fuel economy and longer OCI and delaying the first OCI was only to make Honda "appear" like they are a "green" company.
They outright admitted it, it was out there for a while then totally disappeared from the web. This was about 10+ years ago before it all hit the fan.

It seems they had (I am sure other companies do also) a separate department just for environmental public relations, how they looked was/is more important than a hit reliability may take.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

Wow really? And these failures are attributed to oil being used too long? Are they being warranty replaced since the owners followed the OLM?

Just my own personal opinion. But we see the results daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back