MASSIVE Costco haul - Chevron Supreme blowout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I get it.
I come rolling in the shop for an oil change on a Honda and when I do the credit card transaction, my bill-receipt says I received 0w20, but it was really Chevron conv 10w30.

Negative ghost rider. Only mobil 1 0w20.

Originally Posted by Samrsnow

Now if I were to sell every quart @ retail of $5.95 thats $21,061.85 - $2938.04 = $18,123.75

normally we pay our supplier about $3.20 at the most for Chevron Supreme, so needless to say, we saved A LOT.

Are you really selling conventional oil at $6 a quart? And paying your supplier $3 for it? Honest question - seems really high.

We're a old school Chevron full service station and mechanic, so lots of oil changes
smile.gif

The guy that tends my bosses crawfish ponds

This is like the most Louisiana thing I've ever heard

Originally Posted by buddylpal
Holy cow that's a lot of oil. Question, you only got 5/10w30? What about cars that call for a certain specification that chevron supreme doesn't meet, ex. Dexos, etc? What about cars that don't spec 5/10w30? In a few months new cars will start requiring API SP oils. I assume you guys are a respectable shop that would only use the correct oil the vehicle calls for. Seems you might have that stash sitting around for quite awhile.

The only cars that will require SP or GF-6 oils will be 2021 model year or later cars, won't be a whole lot of those on the road for a while now, I'm sure most of his customers that are coming down to the corner Chevron station to get the cheapest conventional oil change are not the kind of people driving the newest of the new anyways.

Originally Posted by Kira

2) Did any employee wonder aloud if there was a limit; with seeking approval from a superior?

Why would there be a limit?
Costco is a warehouse club for businesses (that allows individuals to also purchase memberships).
If a business wants to buy all the stock of any item in the store, they don't care.

Nice job . $0.83 a qt.
thumbsup2.gif

had a feeling Costco was dumping CS for Kirkland oil. I used to buy CS 5W30 and 10W30 when it would go down to $22 for 10 qts. I haven't seen it at Costco in many months ... I may have 10+ qts. or so left in the garage. Recently found another box when I was cleaning the garage.

Originally Posted by blupupher

2) Did any employee wonder aloud if there was a limit; with seeking approval from a superior?

Costco is a warehouse club for businesses (that allows individuals to also purchase memberships).
If a business wants to buy all the stock of any item in the store, they don't care.

Besides, who other than businesses and bitogers hoard motor oil?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Originally Posted by blupupher

Besides, who other than businesses and bitogers hoard motor oil?
crackmeup2.gif

Per CostCo's annual report-they would lose money if not for memberships. I would think they need both business and individual memberships in order to make money-since that's the revenue model they have. One thing is certain-they didn't make any money on the oil purchased in this thread....regardless of who bought it.

Last edited:
When it was down to $22 per box (10 qts), costco had a limit of 2 for members but I think if they are trying to get rid of everything they may not care.

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Wow. How does this compare to Pit Packs or barrels in terms of $/qt?

I haven't priced out pit packs before, barrels from Oreilly from what I've seen doesn't save me anything over individual quarts. Don't have the space for barrels honestly.

Seriously now,
1) Was there any hassle in getting the loading doors open? Seriously, did it take time and repeat messages?

3) What was the total in quarts and in $?

I have no clue what went down honestly. The guy that tends my bosses crawfish ponds saw them selling for 83 cents/quart and alerted him. If i had to guess, total after tax was $2938.04

Now if I were to sell every quart @ retail of $5.95 thats $21,061.85 - $2938.04 = $18,123.75

normally we pay our supplier about $3.20 at the most for Chevron Supreme, so needless to say, we saved A LOT.

Talk about an "Only in Louisiana" sentence.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
When it was down to $22 per box (10 qts), costco had a limit of 2 for members but I think if they are trying to get rid of everything they may not care.

If they want to get rid of it all, they're probably HAPPY to have one dude buy it all!

They needed room for Toilet Paper and Paper Towels at Costco. I'm sure the savings won't be passed onto the customer. They won't be a loss leader for oil changes at that shop for a while.

Are you really selling conventional oil at $6 a quart? And paying your supplier $3 for it? Honest question - seems really high.

Yes, i think the lowest we pay is like $2.90. It's tough being a mom and pop shop. Honestly though my price is on par with 5 minute oil change if not lower for conventional. Only people I can't compete with is Midas and Goodyear, idk how they can get such a discount. For synthetics we pay around $6 per quart either from my supplier, Bumper to Bumper or Advanced in a pinch. We sell for $12 or $13 depending what brand.

Funny thing is, my neighboring business is an Express Oil Change franchise and they charge $5 for conventional.

That's even better than I've seen on bulk oil that gets pumped in a tank.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl

That's even better than I've seen on bulk oil that gets pumped in a tank.

I recently sold 240 gallons of Delvac 1300 in gallon jugs to a local Big Rig shop they said they pay about $380/drum for the Delvac 15w40.

Yes, i think the lowest we pay is like $2.90. It's tough being a mom and pop shop. Honestly though my price is on par with 5 minute oil change if not lower for conventional. Only people I can't compete with is Midas and Goodyear, idk how they can get such a discount. For synthetics we pay around $6 per quart either from my supplier, Bumper to Bumper or Advanced in a pinch. We sell for $12 or $13 depending what brand.

Funny thing is, my neighboring business is an Express Oil Change franchise and they charge $5 for conventional.

I'm honestly surprised. Just for the heckuvit I checked and you can pick up Amsoil OE for <$6 a quart with a preferred account. I would think for sure a local supplier could do better??? I haven't bought conventional in a long time I guess I don't really know where the prices are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back