Manufacturers putting turbo 4-bangers in SUVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Would be good if they used 4 banger diesels if they really want to deal with CAFE stuff. The 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD I had with a 2.8L diesel would get 33-35 mpg highway. Not too bad for a 4x4 with all terrain tires, lifted with Frankenlift II kit, and not the most aerodynamic vehicle on the road. Pulled a Interstate Battery delivery truck out of the ditch with it the first year during an ice storm. Would pull a farm fuel wagon over the property. Quite a capable vehicle.

Awesome vehicles! It would have been great if the EPA didn't handcuff diesels so much and allow that Liberty to last more than 1 model year.

A lot of city buses are all 4-cylinder turbos (Detroit 50 series) and they redline at 2000rpm. 4 cylinder city buses, dude. I4 turbo SUVs with 6k RPM range are just fine.

If they fall short in real world operation, then they weren't designed or applied properly. The engine configuration itself is not at fault in such cases.

Last edited:
The X1 and X3 28i have turbocharged two liter I4s. Neither one is a rocket ship, but 0-60 in the low six second range and a quarter mile in the high fourteens is at least adequate for an SUV.

This is news on this side of the Atlantic since the U.S. consumers had cheap gas. However, CAFE is catching up and American manufacturers finally have to offer something to the driver that did not see light of day first time in 1956.
I have 4 banger CUV that loaded will hit 120mph and will outrun any Ford Expedition, Tahoe or similar SUV with obsolete V8 under the hood. I saw VW Tiguans with 2.0T engine in the U.S. with 200K and more, and in Europe I saw them with 2.0tdi engines making well above 300K. Take into consideration that while here concern is loaded CUV on 95f, add to that speeds of 100mph+.
So, everything will be fine guys, t is just that the U.S is catching up with the world.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Those Toyotas with turbos too??
Surprising that the Highlander was available with a 4 cylinder motor. My sister has a 2005 that is quite large and heavy. Can't imagine driving that badboy with a 4 cylinder.

They're NA, at least in the current generation. The RAV4 gets up and goes just fine with its 175 hp naturally aspirated engine and well-sorted slushbox, especially with the current generation's AWD doing some mild torque vectoring. Sort of odd to have a large-displacement NA 4 being rev-happy.

If Toyota ever decides to offer an engine above the current one, it'll likely be a turbo 4. There's plenty of room in that engine bay for a turbo and other plumbing. Although they just did a mid-cycle refresh, so that won't be happening, if at all, until the new model comes out.

Honda CRV adds turbo too in uplevel models but retains the 2.4 in lower models.

The 1.5 turbo offers improved low end torque.

I belive the use of turbo cuv/SUV is low pressure ones tuned more for really low end and flat torque curves.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
This is news on this side of the Atlantic since the U.S. consumers had cheap gas. However, CAFE is catching up and American manufacturers finally have to offer something to the driver that did not see light of day first time in 1956.
I have 4 banger CUV that loaded will hit 120mph and will outrun any Ford Expedition, Tahoe or similar SUV with obsolete V8 under the hood. I saw VW Tiguans with 2.0T engine in the U.S. with 200K and more, and in Europe I saw them with 2.0tdi engines making well above 300K. Take into consideration that while here concern is loaded CUV on 95f, add to that speeds of 100mph+.
So, everything will be fine guys, t is just that the U.S is catching up with the world.

"Loaded" to your SUV means "empty" to mine.

They're not obsolete. You're just never going to touch the capability of a real truck.

Try to carry what mine carries, and I bet you don't crack 30mph @ WOT.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
This trend of manufacturers moving over to souped up 4-bangers in SUVs/CUVs is not good, IMO. I know there is immense pressure to meet CAFE ratings but this is just ridiculous. Pack a SUV/CUV with seven people and luggage for a summer road trip, drive on hilly terrain with the A/C blasting in 95F heat, and then see if you prefer the turbo I4 over a V6. The stress placed on a 4-cyl carrying a heavy car also brings up the question of long term reliability. I don't care what they say; nothing beats the smoothness and refinement of a V6 (or V8) in SUV/CUV applications.

Discuss.

I watched a turbo 4 in a minivan wind up over 250,000 miles, including a run up Mount Washington. It ran perfectly when wrecked.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: edyvw

"Loaded" to your SUV means "empty" to mine.

They're not obsolete. You're just never going to touch the capability of a real truck.

Try to carry what mine carries, and I bet you don't crack 30mph @ WOT.

Jesus [censored] man, I am talking about CUV and your answer is: My RAM with 6.7 diesel engine can carry higher load? No s... Christopher Columbus!
Real truck? When I see RAM I have a feeling it will disintegrate while in motion.

Last edited:
This trend of manufacturers moving over to souped up 4-bangers in SUVs/CUVs is not good, IMO. I know there is immense pressure to meet CAFE ratings but this is just ridiculous. Pack a SUV/CUV with seven people and luggage for a summer road trip, drive on hilly terrain with the A/C blasting in 95F heat, and then see if you prefer the turbo I4 over a V6. The stress placed on a 4-cyl carrying a heavy car also brings up the question of long term reliability. I don't care what they say; nothing beats the smoothness and refinement of a V6 (or V8) in SUV/CUV applications.

Discuss.

If I told you what I thought of this drivel I'd be banned...

The turbo 4's are fine. I know - the wife has one in her vehicle. It's fast and quiet. It also is faster and gets better MPG than the V6 CUV that it replaced. Neither one of us miss the 'old girl'.

Turbos rock. I'd put my turbo V6 truck up against any truck V8 out there. And it will win in nearly every metric.

Last edited:
Who's been making 4 cylinder SUVs or CUVs for awhile now??? Like it the last 3-5 years maybe?? Or farther back then that like say 7,8,9 yrs plus?? I am just curious. And give years of manufacture.

You could always get a 2.3 or 2.5 4 NA banger in the 2001+ Escapes. The CRV has always been available with a 4 banger and I think that dates to the late 90s.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Discuss.

If I told you what I thought of this drivel I'd be banned...

The turbo 4's are fine. I know - the wife has one in her vehicle. It's fast and quiet. It also is faster and gets better MPG than the V6 CUV that it replaced. Neither one of us miss the 'old girl'.

Turbos rock. I'd put my turbo V6 truck up against any truck V8 out there. And it will win in nearly every metric.

Man I can outrun ANY truck with V8 on I70 in CO with Tiguan and 2.0T engine in it.
I am not going even to compare BMW.
High altitude and turbo? winning combination.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
For a long time, the RAV4 & CRV offered ONLY 4 cylinder engines.

Which is how they are available today as new vehicles. ONLY one 4cyl engine option available. The CRV has always been like that as far as I know.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Who's been making 4 cylinder SUVs or CUVs for awhile now??? Like it the last 3-5 years maybe?? Or farther back then that like say 7,8,9 yrs plus?? I am just curious. And give years of manufacture.

You could always get a 2.3 or 2.5 4 NA banger in the 2001+ Escapes. The CRV has always been available with a 4 banger and I think that dates to the late 90s.

BMW X3 in Europe was available with 4 banger since its beginning.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
A lot of city buses are all 4-cylinder turbos (Detroit 50 series) and they redline at 2000rpm. 4 cylinder city buses, dude. I4 turbo SUVs with 6k RPM range are just fine.

If they fall short in real world operation, then they weren't designed or applied properly. The engine configuration itself is not at fault in such cases.

From an enthusiasts perspective, as bus engines have been downsized, the level of vibration has dramatically increased. Coupled with poorer quality bodywork (Local manufacturers here in Australia seem convinced squeaks, rattles, creaks and loose body pieces are a feature!) it makes for a hideously unpleasant ride.

I'm told the Scania 5cyl jobs east of here are quite good at vibrating things to bits. As are some of the 8L Volvos we have here...

At least 6 cylinder lives on in the European vehicles for now. However, smaller displacement and (very) high pressure turbo-charging is commonplace. Some of the stuff we're getting now is ridiculously powerful (and fast), although that is dependent on the transmission programming more than anything. Our Volvo "buzz boxes" in articulated form produce 350hp.

If you mean four cylinder with turbo, there's this maker called Subaru.
They've been offering turbo fours in all sorts of application including CUVs for many years.

Originally Posted By: B320i
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

From an enthusiasts perspective, as bus engines have been downsized, the level of vibration has dramatically increased. Coupled with poorer quality bodywork (Local manufacturers here in Australia seem convinced squeaks, rattles, creaks and loose body pieces are a feature!) it makes for a hideously unpleasant ride.

I'm told the Scania 5cyl jobs east of here are quite good at vibrating things to bits. As are some of the 8L Volvos we have here...

At least 6 cylinder lives on in the European vehicles for now. However, smaller displacement and (very) high pressure turbo-charging is commonplace. Some of the stuff we're getting now is ridiculously powerful (and fast), although that is dependent on the transmission programming more than anything. Our Volvo "buzz boxes" in articulated form produce 350hp.

Do not worry. In light of VW cheating scandal, EU made tests more rigorous. That means that manufacturers will have to increase displacement Euro engines. In other markets there is still space to downsize. In EU, most manufacturers are scrapping smallest engines and going bigger to meet new NoX requirements.

Our 250 chp Forester is pretty quick, even when filled with people and things. It's also pretty smooth and accelerates quickly, with little turbo lag, thanks to the twin-scroll turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back