Manual Shifter VERY Hard at Times

Hi all,

`98 Ranger 2WD standard/manual that sometimes becomes all but impossible to get into gear when trying to pull away from a light (or stop sign) - not even by "goosing" the clutch. It's as if all of a sudden an iron or concrete wall has materialized between neutral and any other gear.

I have (so far) been able to fight through it with 3, 4, 5 stabs (as quickly as possible, so as not to hear a chorus of horns behind me), but I'm afraid I'm getting to a point where that won't continue.

I know NOTHING about ANY transmissions (other than to drive them), and I'd like to think a simple gear-oil change would fix it, but I seem to recall someone from my distant past once saying this situation has something to do with a "synchronizer"...?

Thx in advance for any help!!

slave cylinder going bad? or master cylinder?

IIRC slave cylinder issues were quite common on that vintage.

I'd check the fluid level and consider changing the fluid in the transmission as a first step.

That should be a M5R1?

slave cylinder going bad? or master cylinder?

IIRC slave cylinder issues were quite common on that vintage.

I'd check the fluid level and consider changing the fluid in the transmission as a first step.

That should be a M5R1?
Gears would be grinding if the clutch is not fully disengaging. He doesn't state if the gears are grinding during his attempts. I am for the fluid change.

Along with everything else above, how about the clutch master cylinder fluid(brake fluid)?
I've know many folks who didn't know that there is a clutch master cylinder and it takes brake fluid and that's all it needed for to be topped-off.

I used redline d4 in a 2005 ranger.

I don't know what the Ranger MT calls for, but I thought it was 75w90 since they used a lot of Mazda manual transmissions at the time.

If it calls for ATF, perhaps Pennzoil or Valvoline Synchromesh or Royal Purple Synchromax would be a good choice :unsure:

I don't know what the Ranger MT calls for, but I thought it was 75w90 since they used a lot of Mazda manual transmissions at the time.

If it calls for ATF, perhaps Pennzoil or Valvoline Synchromesh or Royal Purple Synchromax would be a good choice :unsure:
It was a ford/mazda transmission but spec'ed mercon V

Rules of thumb for manual transmissions (there are exceptions)

Hard to shift with engine off = transmission problem
Hard to shift with engine on but vehicle stopped = clutch problem
Easy to shift with engine on and vehicle stopped but hard to shift with engine on and vehicle moving = transmission problem

Back