Making a Parking Spot on Grass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a small pop-up camper. I want to make a parking spot for it next to my house, where there is currently grass.

Has anyone ever done anything like that? I would like to avoid gravel, and concrete/blacktop isn't feasible right now. I'm looking to keep a reasonable budget on this for a D.I.Y. project. I was thinking about a slab of astroturf (not the grassy kind, the old rubber stuff), but haven't been able to source it.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I'm trying to avoid creating a rut/low spots from the tires sitting there. I am going to fence this area in with rest of the back yard.

My next-door neighbors' front door faces the side of my house where the camper will be parked, and I want to make a nice little space for it, rather than just sitting it on the side of the house. It will look nicer when seeing my house from the street as well.

Just trying to dress it up a little and make it look nice.

You might try some plastic mulch. It will keep the grass/weeds down and let water through.
Just having the trailer sit in tall grass will rust it out fairly quickly and you won't want to move it every time you mow...

Make sure you mow the lawn and keep the grass low. One of my coworker parked on a bunch of dry leaves at work (or wind blew the leaves into the corner where he parked) and his exhaust / cat ignited the leaves and burned the car down.

I have heard of people burying concrete blocks where the tires will be so that they sit on concrete instead of dirt/grass. Can maybe help against dry rot and prevent the tires from sinking in.

Get two concrete squares or other items where the tires go and it won't sink. Put some stone dust under them. The grass won't grow very well underneath.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Get two concrete squares or other items where the tires go and it won't sink. Put some stone dust under them. The grass won't grow very well underneath.

This. Will give you time to think of other options.

I've also seen buried cinder blocks that are filled with gravel then topped with nice paving stones. It prevents the Pavers themselves from sinking.

I too would also go to a local big box store and look into the rubber mulch. Much better than dealing with the tall grass and weeds that will grow under and around it.

I put a couple of the 12" diameter stepping stones you can get at Lowe's under the tires of my small enclosed trailer and it has worked to keep it from sinking into the dirt.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
Originally Posted By: rjundi

This. Will give you time to think of other options.

+2

Originally Posted By: Bob5150
My next-door neighbors' front door faces the side of my house where the camper will be parked,

Oh, they're going to love you for that.
laugh.gif

There is a type of pre cast concrete 'stone' that has holes in it.

Grass will grow through it and it offers enough support to lighter vehicles to be a possible solution...

You can use bricks, pavers, or precast stones where the tires go. That should work well.

Id get some larger concrete blocks that take you down to the frist line or below, optimally... At least say, 24" deep. Bury them with the tops exposed at the points where the wheels will be. Consider using a brick or other paver at the front top to stop the wheels.

Id be more concerned with wetness and condensation under the car, and the damage that will cause...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back