Make your own one man brake bleeder for $2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: JamesBond
I stick a short bolt in the bottle end of the hose then cut a slit in the hose just above it.

Now what does THAT do?
It helps to keep air out of the line on the return stroke. The slit opens when fluid is being pushed out and then closes back up when the pressure stops.

If the end of the hose is submerged in brake fluid what difference does it make?

Could all of these methods pull air in from around the threads of the bleed screw when the pedal is let up?
If you make this you will find the plastic bottle with the hose attached and empty will not stand up very well. With the slit in the end it makes no difference how much fluid the hose is stuck in.

And yes they do allow air to be drawn in past the thread. I will use some paste type Teflon sealant on the threads.

Originally Posted By: expat
I stick a short bolt in the bottle end of the hose then cut a slit in the hose just above it.

I have done this also.

But a straight tube works as well.

It boggles my ming that people buy vacuum pumps, (so called) speed bleeders and other gadgets for such a fool proof, simple operation.

As PT Barnum said......

It's faster to use a pump. My pump also does double duty: I've used it to drain the PS tank, and once, when a drain plug refused to budge, an entire differential. And of course, the master cylinder itself. Bought mine used for $30 or $35, an all metal Mityvac, at a flea market.

I usually don't have plastic bottles kicking around the house either.

I've never had problems with air getting past the threads, but I don't open the bleeder screw very far either.

I usually crack it just far enough to let the fluid out, but tight enough that it still takes a modicum of effort to push the pedal.

I have done this also.

It boggles my ming that people buy vacuum pumps, (so called) speed bleeders and other gadgets for such a fool proof, simple operation.

As PT Barnum said......

OK, you got me. I spent 30NT (about 96 cents). But then I had a dirty system full of air.

I have done this also.

As PT Barnum said......

Some systems with dips in the lines, will not allow normal bleeding. A pressure bleeder or vacuum is required. Like the clutch slave cylinder on a Ford Explorer.

Ok - so I tell my wife if you have a little bottle like this - I don't need to bother you this morning to bleed my brakes.
She said "I'm not getting replaced by some little bottle - let's go" -
Hey, brakes feel better now too
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Ok - so I tell my wife if you have a little bottle like this - I don't need to bother you this morning to bleed my brakes.
She said "I'm not getting replaced by some little bottle - let's go" -
Hey, brakes feel better now too
wink.gif

Cute.

I never seem to meet girls like that
frown.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back