MacOS Ventura (13) experience so far? (10/24 release)

MacOS Ventura came in as an available update around 140 pm est. This was an upgrade from macOS Monterey on a 2020 MBA.

First impressions - installation was smooth sailing and very typical apple installation time... everything now is "working" but had to re sync the "photos" app so recent photos would show up in Ventura - that was the only "issue" I've had in whole 20 hours since installation.. The design feels iPad/iPhone ish with the way "settings" are laid out, and even the "about this Mac" feels like a throw back.. otherwise does not "appear" like a huge upgrade for day to day use...
Did you upgrade and how is your experience so far?

IMG_2054.jpeg

IMG_2051 2.jpg

I just came in here because my Mac showed me it is now available.
Will wait a little while to see if any issues. We have 2 desktops and one MacBook.
Still been holding off on the iPhone 16.1 but guess I am ready for that one.

I normally would have already spent a lot of time playing with a beta release by now, but Apple has made dual booting all but impossible on the new(er) computers and I won't run a beta OS as my main OS on my main computer.

I guess I don't really have an excuse since I do now have a 2019 iMac that I use regularly and it's very much dual boot capable, but I just never got around to installing it.

As is my usual practice, I'll wait for 13.1. I MAY install it on an external and boot the iMac off of it-we'll see.

The one compelling feature for me in it is scheduled send in Apple mail, something Outlook has done forever, and meaning I can get away from using a 3rd party plug-in(Mail Butler) to do it. Scheduled Send is actually a big deal to me. I'm a professor, and am a bit of a night owl so often will catch up on emails at night or over the weekend. I don't want to set an expectation for a response outside hours, though, so can write answers all night to my heart's content and have them actually go out at 8:00AM or whenever the next morning.

Did it yesterday on 2 iMacs and 1 Macbook Air M1, so far same as before, I'd never know that ant change has taken place unless I'd have
to use a specific app or situation which has not yet occurred.

Installed it on my iMac yesterday. So far so good even though I haven't really done much with it.

Preferences definitely feels very iOS-like, and it takes an additional click to get to the good old fashioned system report(with the device trees).

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 3.58.11 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 3.58.50 PM.jpg

Well...kind of regretting this now.

Since upgrading, my eGPU disconnects every time the computer goes to sleep and needs to be power cycled to reconnect.

I have two of these enclosures(and two separate cards for each one) and have the same problem with both, so it seems to me as though it's likely a Ventura problem.

Mac mini i5 (2018) and MacBook Air m1.
The mini developed an annoying pop up issue. It kept telling me I have to accept the new terms and conditions for iCloud. It was annoying as heck, every 20 minutes or so. Could not find a solution, no matter how many times I accepted it would not acknowledge it.
Went to the Apple board and many people had the same issue. Drove myself nuts for a week because much of what people were posting did not work.
Well finally someone posted a pretty simple solution that I can almost hit myself that I didn't think of.
All one has to do is log out of iCloud and log back in. Problem solved. It was a little funky and cant remember but after I did sign out and back in, my other devices had to be too. iPhone and MacBook m1. But it all worked out eventually and pretty simply. Though it should not have happened.

As far as Ventura, it just acts and feels the same way to me. I guess I dont use many features and it was the first Apple upgrade that had an annoying issue, I was yelling at my computer, accusing it as being just like Windows. :geek:

Last edited:
I'm running full-time on a mixture of Intel and M1 and it's been solid.
Yes, I was too. Had the M1 the first month or so that they hit the store shelves and the (2018) Mac i5 since around 2019. Im thrilled being in the Apple ecosystem but I will admit, I was really annoyed with that hiccup, guess because my expectations are so high for Apple and without question they have been meeting those expectations, it was my first hiccup on an update

I'm on 13.1 with both my personal Macbook Air (Apple M1, 16GB RAM) and work Macbook Pro (i-5, 16GB RAM) and no issues to report. I only had issues upgrading to Monterey on the work Macbook Pro when that first came out. Seems there were a lot of bugs with that OS initially.

Still having the dropped eGPU issue. I set my iMac to not sleep and that "fixed" it but probably not the greatest fix.

Back