Machine washing a "dry clean only" winter coat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Washing (and/or drying in a clothes dryer) any material that is used for insulating (such as coats, sleeping bags, and blankets) can remove fibers and thin out the material resulting in reduction of the insulating ability.

Patagonia, The North Face and Columbia say machine washing and drying on no higher than medium with a few tennis balls is fine for their down/synthetic filled jackets. They do advise using detergents that rinse clean and no fabric softener that can interfere with the water-repellent finish.

Without question I would throw that in the washer and dry it in the dryer.

I have washed wool suit pants by mistake, they came out perfect. No dryer for those.

My Canada goose parka gets put in the washer also, I just unzip the fur. It goes into the dryer also. Doing so voids the warranty... So they say.

I have another "dry clean only" work parka that must have been washed 50 or more times. Fire smell, two stroke smell, wood chips etc... Does not fly in the house, I won't leave it in the shop or garage so the mice can eat it. So, anything offensive on it gets the washer treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back