M1 5w30 3500mi Subaru WRX 2.0t

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pulled this report off of NASIOC. Left column is last result for 3500mi. The right column is the last interval, between 3000-3500mi. Total 17500mi on the engine. Lead is abnormally high for a WRX engine, not sure what to think of it. Car is stock. ? marks unknown data. What could be causing the high lead? Usually high lead points to detonation or oil starvation, but this would usually occur on a modified or raced engine, of which this is neither.
code:

Aluminum 5 4

Chromium 1 1

Iron 13 9

Copper 5 6

Lead 92 26

Tin 3 0

Molybdenum 72 53

Nickel 0 0

Manganese 0 1

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 0

Potassium 2 1

Boron 143 133

Silicon 7 6

Sodium 5 3

Calcium 2634 2736

Magnesium 15 27

Phosphorus 762 ?

Zinc 837 ?

Barium 0 ?

Sus Vis 60.0 ?

FlashPt 375 ?

Fuel%
Antifreeze% 0 ?

Water% 0 ?

Insolubules% 0.4 ?

I am not an expert, just my opinion, try something thicker for a change or red line 5W30 which i believe is a thick 30.

I think he's autocrossing this engine and needs to use a thicker oil - at least a 10w-30 or 5w-40 that meets the ACEA A3/B4 specs ....

The lead wear is the key here ....

Tooslick

This looks like the worst WRX UOA ever! Check out that lead!
shocked.gif

Interesting, I also posted my UOA for my VW 1.8T running M1 5w30 with a high lead content such as yours. And we're both from San Diego! It must be the air out here
grin.gif

Chris B.: "This looks like the worst WRX UOA ever! Check out that lead!"

Exactly! We normally get amazing results from these engines ... with just about every brand of oil.

freak2.gif

--- Bror Jace

Hmmmmm.....that report does not look all that bad. He may auto-x this car and/or drag race it. I'm willing to be a cold Pepsi this guys ran leaded fuel for quite a while and contaminated the oil big time. Just a thought!
The oil chemistry sure as heck looks like M1, most likely 5 or 10W-30. Very hard to figure some stuff out when we have such limited data here. In any case, I too would try a very thick 30W or a 40W.

Rick

Thanks for the input, guys. I passed on the advice to try a 5w40 or 10w30.

BTW, 20valves, this isn't my WRX, but someone elses who lives in VA.
wink.gif
I just posted here to get more feedback as this analysis has me baffled.

This is my analysis...

Please let me know what other info I can provide.

This car is not autocrossed and I have never intentionally put leaded gas in it...always exxon or amoco super unleaded.

oil is mobil 1 and after this weekend we are trying 15w50. before it was 5w30

Thoise Subie engines are awesome - even my lowly Outback beater has 100k miles on it and never burns oil, even with 5/10w30 syn.

The WRX has a short (10" or so) crank with a zillion bolts retaining it, so it hardly moves at all. Fuji Heavy Industries designs and builds outstanding engines.

I think the WRX's will have amazing longevity for turbo'd cars, and driven hard as well.

quote:

Originally posted by BryanH:
This is my analysis...

Please let me know what other info I can provide.

This car is not autocrossed and I have never intentionally put leaded gas in it...always exxon or amoco super unleaded.

oil is mobil 1 and after this weekend we are trying 15w50. before it was 5w30

YIKES!!! I guess I just lost a cold Pepsi, huh? Anyway....darn, that is a lot of lead, and the other metals, although not alarmingly high, aren't that great since you state you don't race the car or anything. I wonder if there has been some permanent damage already done to the bearings as a result of your last and previous intervals. I give the 15W-50 the thumbs up, but I'm a bit skeptical it would completely cure the lead problem.
Good luck!

EDIT: I would test that 15W-50 after just 2k miles, just to see what's shaking with the lead. No need to drain all the oil.....just enough for the test.

[ April 15, 2004, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back