M1 5W-40 TDT Dump it or Leave it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 01 Ram 2500 24v Cummins
Oil : M1 5W-40 TDT
Filter : NAPA Gold

Changed oil& filter last November with 96,xxx miles on the clock and for various reasons, price of diesel being the chief reason, I just have not put many miles on it. Now the truck has 99,xxx miles on it.
Should I change the oil or just take it to this November? I do not expect to put any more than 1500-2000 miles on it by then? or should I just swap out the old filter with a new one and top it off?

turboluvr, you're using one of mobil 1's best products and a very good filter. concur with doug, run it until november.

You could also just take a sample and run a UOA (with TBN) in November.. Most likely the oil will test good and you could run it through the winter before changing again. I alternate my Duramax between M1 TDT 5w40 in the winter and Delo 400 15w40 in the summer. I changed out the M1 in June with a 6k OCI and got razzed for changing it to often after posting UOA results in the Diesel UOA forum. With the price of diesel fuel lately I'm also not driving my truck as much so I've been thinking of leaving the current Delo 15w40 in for the winter else I'll be changing it with only 3-4kmi in November.

Turbo,

I am in the exact same situation. I am now going 1.5 years on the oil. My last UOA shows TBN hovering near 10! No issues at all leaving that oil in for very long periods of time.

In fact, I believe the "old" TDT M1 oil was the finest oil mankind has ever made. Changing it out now would simply be putting lesser quality oil in!

Chris

Thanks for the input guy's, I have decided to run the oil thru at least November and if I can force myself to do it perhaps thru the upcoming winter, then do a UOA. If I do run it past November I think I will at least change the filter and top it off.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Are Napa Gold's a synthetic media filter?

Not Synthetic,
according to the website the media is a "glass enhanced cellulose media"

That oil is too good and too expensive to drain early. I'd wait until spring to change it -- but during the winter, I'd take it out a few times and get the engine really hot, to boil off any moisture that might accumulate in the oil.

It will definitely see some miles this winter, as it is our designated winter vehicle.

Turbo: Your cummins is easy on oil. JMHO here--> I would leave it in through winter easy! Now every 3k to 5k miles, I would change the filter and top off with fresh oil. Also agree with Tornado: Make sure you always get that cummins up to operating temp before shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back