M1-204A. Return and get OEM? 1997 Jeep 4.0 150k miles

I have always run the Mopar M0-090 and M1 10w-40 High Milage.

97 Wrangler 4.0 150k miles, burns zero oil, excellent oil pressure for a 4.0 of this vintage and milage (15psi idle, 40 at highway speed when hot and thin), but has some timing chain noise during warmup, which goes away at operating temp. I am ignoring this noise lol. I hope it is just timing chain noise.

Couldn’t find the Mopar filter yesterday, I have no idea who makes it now (Wix?).

All that was available was the Mobil M1-204A. So I (stupidly?) bought it.

I’ve seen a number of disturbing reports here in years past about incomplete filter media and shoddy construction in the Mobil filters. Is this still happening?

Should I take it back and wait until I can find a better filter?

I don’t care about the cost, I just want to change the oil today.

I have always run the Mopar M0-090 and M1 10w-40 High Milage.

97 Wrangler 4.0 150k miles, burns zero oil, excellent oil pressure for a 4.0 of this vintage and milage (15psi idle, 40 at highway speed when hot and thin), but has some timing chain noise during warmup, which goes away at operating temp. I am ignoring this noise lol. I hope it is just timing chain noise.

Couldn’t find the Mopar filter yesterday, I have no idea who makes it now (Wix?).

All that was available was the Mobil M1-204A. So I (stupidly?) bought it.

I’ve seen a number of disturbing reports here in years past about incomplete filter media and shoddy construction in the Mobil filters. Is this still happening?

Should I take it back and wait until I can find a better filter?

I don’t care about the cost, I just want to change the oil today.
No need to take anything back. Just change the oil & filter today and be happy. Mobil 1 filters are fine. Mobil 1 and Wix filters are both made by Mann-Hummel.

There was nothing stupid about purchasing it, and certainly nothing to worry about.

No need to take anything back. Just change the oil & filter today and be happy. Mobil 1 filters are fine. Mobil 1 and Wix filters are both made by Mann-Hummel.

There was nothing stupid about purchasing it, and certainly nothing to worry about.
OK, thank you. I saw some posts from 2017- 2020 showing a cut open M1 filter with missing media (manufacturing error), and a few other posts reporting same. I also saw posts stating that Mobile switched manufacturers to Mann, so I guess it’s all fine now.

Does anyone know who makes the Mopar M0-090 lately, or is it just random?

Rock Auto has Mopar 5281090AB…

You can oversize the Ph16 to Ph8a, (Wix 51515) longer, same base and bypass

If you have the room, the supersize Wix 51773 holds an extra quart…

There isn't enough room on a Wrangler 4.0L.

OP: that filter will be fine. The Mopar MO-090 isn't anything special to write home about, it is just a Purolator with a nitrile ADBV. I've been using Frams on my 1998 Wrangler lately and they have been great. My '98 has 163k miles and the timing chain is quite loose and I will be replacing it soon, yet it doesn't have any noise. I found out the chain was loose when I did the oil pan gasket. The noise you are hearing is likely worn lifters and a bit of piston slap. Perfectly normal on a higher mileage 4.0L, and they can run for many miles and years like that.

There isn't enough room on a Wrangler 4.0L.

OP: that filter will be fine. The Mopar MO-090 isn't anything special to write home about, it is just a Purolator with a nitrile ADBV. I've been using Frams on my 1998 Wrangler lately and they have been great. My '98 has 163k miles and the timing chain is quite loose and I will be replacing it soon, yet it doesn't have any noise. I found out the chain was loose when I did the oil pan gasket. The noise you are hearing is likely worn lifters and a bit of piston slap. Perfectly normal on a higher mileage 4.0L, and they can run for many miles and years like that.
It really does sound like timing chain. I hear the faintest bit of piston slap, also a little lifter noise that goes away when warm. But who knows. I doubt I'll need to tear into this engine for many years. The engine has sounded like this since I acquired it 50,000 miles ago, and hasn't changed.

That's interesting. I wonder if it would fit. There's certainly more space under the hood of an old Wrangler than 99.9% of new cars today.

I went ahead and stuck the Mobil one filter in. Engine did not disintegrate or melt on startup, and has some oil pressure. Old Jeep moves, as slowly as usual. I guess everything will be OK.

Thanks everyone.

Grab a Super Tech extended mileage filter & save a few pennies. It has the same efficiency as the Mobil you bought. Sounds like your timing chain guides getting loose. There might be a tension bolt that you could lightly snug up the guides from the outside but I'm not certain about your engine specifically.

Cut it open after use and find out. ;)

Back