M1 0W40 in a Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M1 0w40 is relatively thin 40 oil so should be no problem for civic. As other mention you may blend but i wont think is necessary, if you talk their 40hm or tdt then it may make engine a bit sluggish.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Trav
If VVT no, VTEC yes. VVT & VTEC NO.

Sounds too tic toe ...

Most hydraulic VVT needs a viscosity sweet spot not far from OE spec oil grade.

These engines in other parts of the world spec 0w30 or 0w40 with those systems, I guess those systems don't work properly and yes its the same engine. I wish people would stop spinning this absolute falsehood, these engines were not designed to run on xw20 they were designed to run on a wide range of viscosities and can run on xw20 for fuel economy reasons, there is no "sweet spot" in fact many Honda xw20 engines with these systems eg J35 ivtec/VCM show remarkably good UOA's on 0w40.

OP run the 0w40 and forget it, its fine.
Not a falsehood. VVT cam phasing depends on oils viscosity. The Toyota Ive had will retard timing with more viscous oil. Talk to many who have run higher vis oils and hear their responses. Slow, sluggish, lazy, mired.

But I wish folks here would TRY stuff and make their own decisions or are they all numb?

- Ken NIASE Master* & BSME

* Yeah, that was loooong ago
smile.gif

Lets put an end to this now. A 0w20 is thicker cold than 0w40 hot. But, but the vvt/vcm doesn't operate when the engine is cold, true but the oil doesn't have to be at operating temp just the coolant over IIRC 120f. Nuff said.

Trav is right in my opinion. Oil is always cooler than water until much later in a drive when the thermostat opens and water temp levels off. Then the oil will eventually exceed the water temp. This can take 15-30 minutes in my experience. Longer when outside temp is cold. Longer if rpms are kept low.

Oil is more viscous when cold. Pretty sure 0w20 can be thicker at 60C than 0w40 is at 80C (according to a viscosity calculator I just used).

If VVT no, VTEC yes. VVT & VTEC NO.

Sounds too tic toe ...

Most hydraulic VVT needs a viscosity sweet spot not far from OE spec oil grade.

These engines in other parts of the world spec 0w30 or 0w40 with those systems, I guess those systems don't work properly and yes its the same engine. I wish people would stop spinning this absolute falsehood, these engines were not designed to run on xw20 they were designed to run on a wide range of viscosities and can run on xw20 for fuel economy reasons, there is no "sweet spot" in fact many Honda xw20 engines with these systems eg J35 ivtec/VCM show remarkably good UOA's on 0w40.

OP run the 0w40 and forget it, its fine.
Not a falsehood. VVT cam phasing depends on oils viscosity. The Toyota Ive had will retard timing with more viscous oil. Talk to many who have run higher vis oils and hear their responses. Slow, sluggish, lazy, mired.

But I wish folks here would TRY stuff and make their own decisions or are they all numb?

- Ken NIASE Master* & BSME

* Yeah, that was loooong ago
smile.gif

Lets put an end to this now. A 0w20 is thicker cold than 0w40 hot. But, but the vvt/vcm doesn't operate when the engine is cold, true but the oil doesn't have to be at operating temp just the coolant over IIRC 120f. Nuff said.
I'm talking about fully warm operation and viscosity affect on cam position at any specific RPM. I dont even know if the 1.8L civic engine employs hydraulic cam timing - By whatever name. VTEC not an issue. Piston acceleration off TDC with a light flywheel - maybe.

And I (We?) don't know what year Civic(s) the OP ( MavericFHS) has and what engine is in them!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back