Lufthansa CEO working as a flight attendent

I got the middle seat last week from Jakarta to Tokyo, seven plus hour flight. My original flight was cancelled, I (along with others) were auto rebooked on another airline. Only seats available/ left were middle seats.
On a 777 to Asia 2 weeks ago we were in the center of economy, which has 4 seats across. A gentleman on the end of the row, had a violent cough. My wife and I did rock paper scissors and she lost

• Wow
Reactions: GON
On a 777 to Asia 2 weeks ago we were in the center of economy, which has 4 seats across. A gentleman on the end of the row, had a violent cough. My wife and I did rock paper scissors and she lost

That’s the worst. Doesn’t matter what’s going around, or not. Being that close to someone like that is unnerving. And as much as I chuckle at the folks who wear masks to take out their garbage, I don’t blame folks who wear them on planes, to have at least some marginal layer of additional separation, or ideally, to catch some fraction of the particles they spew.
I fly 60 segments a year, so my numbers aren't quite where yours are, but have dealt with people spilling into my seat more than a few times. It's not really an"analysis," just an observation shared by many.
i don’t fly as much as either of you, but I do keep gold status on American, and fly a few segments on other airlines every year. Spillover is real. And it’s horrible, especially as a person who needs the whole seat myself, but does not spill over. Long arms makes the armrest situation uncomfortable.

I got the middle seat last week from Jakarta to Tokyo, seven plus hour flight. My original flight was cancelled, I (along with others) were auto rebooked on another airline. Only seats available/ left were middle seats.
I hate when that happens. I’ve been caught with spillover on both sides effectively taking the armrests that etiquette claims are for the middle seat. It’s not fun to have to mess with rolls to rest my arms on long flights.

Fly 8-12 segments per week . 40+ weeks per year, and I suspect your analysis will be revised. And I don't need to lose a few.
I don’t know about reversed, but at 6ft 4, knee and leg room is definitely a big issue too. Certainly affects comfort, especially if attempting to sleep.

That’s the worst. Doesn’t matter what’s going around, or not. Being that close to someone like that is unnerving. And as much as I chuckle at the folks who wear masks to take out their garbage, I don’t blame folks who wear them on planes, to have at least some marginal layer of additional separation, or ideally, to catch some fraction of the particles they spew.

I'd hope that whoever is coughing or sneezing in cramped quarters might be the one wearing a mask. Trapping germs at the source is a good thing.

You haven't flown until you fly out to a carrier on a C2A COD, packed in like sardines, facing AFT, when you hit the deck it's like the whole plane is falling apart, worse is a CAT shot, facing aft you better have your harness as tight as possible, when that plane is sent of the deck, you think your gonna pull that harness out of the seat. :eek:
1709505863159.jpg

i don’t fly as much as either of you, but I do keep gold status on American, and fly a few segments on other airlines every year. Spillover is real. And it’s horrible, especially as a person who needs the whole seat myself, but does not spill over. Long arms makes the armrest situation uncomfortable.

I hate when that happens. I’ve been caught with spillover on both sides effectively taking the armrests that etiquette claims are for the middle seat. It’s not fun to have to mess with rolls to rest my arms on long flights.
Last January, a week after the 737 MAX grounds by US carriers United and Alaska, I had a 5+ hour flight on Alaska from HNL to SEA. Alaska had to substitute a smaller plane. All flights were 100 percent full.

I had the aisle seat three rows in front of the exit door. A few minutes after boarding a woman came to sit down next to me in the middle seat. I suspect she was of Polynesian origin. She was the largest woman I ever saw in person. She spilled over to the point that the arm rests on both sides of her were not visable in any manner. The seat belt did not fit her, she flew the entire flight with no seat belt.

I felt very sorry for her. She had to essential keep her arms up the entire flight- how painful and uncomfortable. I speculate her size had less to do with eating and more to do with genes and culture. Even though we were seat mates- she had it so much worse than me..... man did I have empathy for her.

Last January, a week after the 737 MAX grounds by US carriers United and Alaska, I had a 5+ hour flight on Alaska from HNL to SEA. Alaska had to substitute a smaller plane. All flights were 100 percent full.

I had the aisle seat three rows in front of the exit door. A few minutes after boarding a woman came to sit down next to me in the middle seat. I suspect she was of Polynesian origin. She was the largest woman I ever saw in person. She spilled over to the point that the arm rests on both sides of her were not visable in any manner. The seat belt did not fit her, she flew the entire flight with no seat belt.

I felt very sorry for her. She had to essential keep her arms up the entire flight- how painful and uncomfortable. I speculate her size had less to do with eating and more to do with genes and culture. Even though we were seat mates- she had it so much worse than me..... man did I have empathy for her.
I hear that. Many of these folks, for whatever reason that they get so large, are not enjoying their flight, and are very uncomfortable. I get that.

But I need to get where I’m going and be functional too…

You haven't flown until you fly out to a carrier on a C2A COD, packed in like sardines, facing AFT, when you hit the deck it's like the whole plane is falling apart, worse is a CAT shot, facing aft you better have your harness as tight as possible, when that plane is sent of the deck, you think your gonna pull that harness out of the seat. :eek:
View attachment 206518
Looks like BA’s short haul business class …

• Haha
I hear that. Many of these folks, for whatever reason that they get so large, are not enjoying their flight, and are very uncomfortable. I get that.

But I need to get where I’m going and be functional too…
sometimes think of these huge people during the safety briefing …

I'm a big fan of not asking my people to do anything I wouldn't do, or have done.

I make sure to still get hands-on a few times a year so they know I'm right there behind them in case something goes sideways.

View attachment 206518

They Osprey is coming back. Supposedly seating for up to 24, although I'd think there are combination passenger/cargo missions.

That is C17 filled with paratroopers. considerably much more comfortable than a C130 filled with paratroopers.

Anytime we jumped from a C17, we thought we were "living large Cadillac style".

Your post provides great context for the density of commercial passenger aircraft today. In a C130, the jumpmaster typically had to "walk" across our front loaded rucks connected to our bodies to inspect our connected static lines. In a C17, the jumpmaster had enough room to inspect the connected static lines without walking on our front loaded rucks that were connected to our bodies.
Who jumps from a perfectly good air craft?

Only wild and crazy people would jump out of a perfectly functioning aircraft. Grande juevos.

How about JB Hunt CEO started as a csr in 1994, or Costco CEO was a forklift driver?

In my industry we see the above a lot and most people can roll up their sleeves…my last job was the opposite.

Back