Lucas oil stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use the Lucas but I do use the STP stuff, its just as thick and at least has ZPPD and other additives! Works great in high mileage engines that make a little noise, quiets them right up!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I don't use the Lucas but I do use the STP stuff, its just as thick and at least has ZPPD and other additives! Works great in high mileage engines that make a little noise, quiets them right up!

If STP works … test to determine what grade you modified the oil to and buy that …

Most here would agree that’s an actual engineered and balanced formula …

Originally Posted By: racin4ds

You do realize this is in the motorcycle forum, yes? STP friction slickerizer additive and a wet clutch...hummm.

Daz, I've been in this same boat as I really liked what the Lucas product was. (technically I still do, to a sense.)
I really wanted a way to make it work with my own cost savings by mixing it or using it in some utilitarian way.
But Shannow in his first post really has hit the nail on the head, and the product has had a difficult time as a result to make it or stay in anyone's garage from this forum.

We all want you to get the most juice from the squeeze you put out. I do think it is making your bike feel better right now, but using Lucas is not the only way to get there, and there are better ways that won't also corner you into spending an arm and a leg for it. You can post or PM any of us and we can help give you a solution.

I know you didn't ask for it, but although using lucas (syn or original) helps to protect/fix against over-shearing (also quieting down the valvetrain and making the shifting feel a little smoother), you could also switch to a higher cold-temp weight--higher first number i.e. 10wXX to 15 or 20wXX--for protecting against over-shearing and higher high-temp weight--higher second number i.e. XXw40 to XXw50 or XXw60--to quiet the valvetrain down. (both of these should help with the shifting, too.)

Bottom line, I think Lucas does what it advertises, but does also shorten the life of your oil via dilution of detergents and anti-wear additives, which it doesn't advertise (which obviously no one should expect in an advertisement.)
If you gotta tinker midway through or something like that, then swap the Lucas for a straight-weight detergent-containing oil like SAE 30. Delo or Rotella or Supertech, whichever.
Hope you're still reading..

Last edited:
I suppose it is an assumption that LOS is nothing more than an oil thickener with nothing beneficial to add to the game, but it is also an assumption that it does provide some miraculous cure the intended oil could accomplish. For every one of those engines that some would claim LOS was the major factor in its longevity, a dozen can be produced that went just as long or longer by simply using the intended oil in them.

What is conspicuously absent from all of Forrest Lucas' marketing is a ton of third party testing and SAE results that LOS actually is what it claims to be and provides what it claims to provide. Having race car drivers tout the stuff means nothing. They are doing that because they are paid to do it. I am just unclear how the LOS stuff became so popular with the lack of actual testing and certifications.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I suppose it is an assumption that LOS is nothing more than an oil thickener with nothing beneficial to add to the game

No, just like mileage reduction on Ethanol is science, not supposition, Lucas is as I've stated, without supposition or assumption.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/890137/Re:_Lucas_Oil_Stabilizer#Post890137

Originally Posted By: Shup1
Here is the skinny on LOS

Unless listed all are 'Zero'

Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

Rotella T / LOS 5 to 1 blend
TBN - 8.5
Visc - 115.4
FP - 420
Boron - 17
Silicon - 2
Calcium - 1442
Magnesium - 7
Phosphorus - 604
Zinc - 817

Does anyone have any feedback on Rotella blend, have I diluted it since it is a 5 to 1 mix??? or 83.33% Rotella / 16.67% Lucas

Lucas and K&N had the good fortune of having blown up in an era where the only scientific requirement necessary to sell a product was to pay enough people to say they like it.

Lucas does serve a purpose, though. If you pour it into an engine that is so messed up that it doesn't work right anymore, it will do a passable job of convincing a person that it actually works somewhat better.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Lucas and K&N had the good fortune of having blown up in an era where the only scientific requirement necessary to sell a product was to pay enough people to say they like it.

Lucas does serve a purpose, though. If you pour it into an engine that is so messed up that it doesn't work right anymore, it will do a passable job of convincing a person that it actually works somewhat better.

Similarly saw dust was used in rear ends to make it to the poor sucker that was about to inherit it [the problem] for a price too high.

I use the lucas Oil stabilizer in my Harley.I use it in the transmission and primary.When I drain the oil and wipe the oil pan with a paper towel it is super slippery.I also use it in the engine.I use lucas synthetic in the engine.Ive done UOA on lucas and Schaefer’s and there’s no clear winner. I’m hoping it leaves that slippery film behind for cold starts.This is what I do and I know not everyone will approve but this is what I do.

Originally Posted By: Idahokid
I use the lucas Oil stabilizer in my Harley.I use it in the transmission and primary.When I drain the oil and wipe the oil pan with a paper towel it is super slippery.I also use it in the engine.I use lucas synthetic in the engine.Ive done UOA on lucas and Schaefer’s and there’s no clear winner. I’m hoping it leaves that slippery film behind for cold starts.This is what I do and I know not everyone will approve but this is what I do.

Its slippery because its oil. Nothing special about it. It is oil without any additives so its no more " slippery" than anything else just more viscous.

It actually dilutes the properties of the quality oil you are using and makes the whole sump a lower quality mix.

Its your engine, your money and this is America, use what you like. I won't let a bottle within 10 feet of my engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Idahokid

Seems to be something you've practiced for a few years now. Care to Share the UOA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back