Lubrication Temperature-SAE studies wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need your helps guys. Especially molakule and Dr Haas. I would like specific information on the relationship between lubrication quality and motor oil condition, temperature mostly.

If there is a useful SAE study , that would have information understandeable to the common man. I can interpret any engineering data also, so technical is not a problem.

One of the projects I am working on, a turbo-diesel application , shows bulk oil temps up to 360F, local temps are probably higher. These are WOT towing runs lasting 10 minutes or more. I would love a way to properly predict what some of the local temps are, as tearing down the motor to probe it is not practical. Any information that can predict oil condition for this environment would be helpful also.

Thanks in advance!

SAE 860374 "Wear Mechanisms in Moderate Temperature Gasoline Engine Service";
SAE 2002-01-2769 "Performance of a Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil". Neither of these is what you are really looking for, but each may have a few tidbits.The first deals with the effects of oxidation and viscosity changes on wear and the next deals with the effects of changing fron 15-40W to the newer 5-40W diesel motor oil.

If you are seeing bulk oil temps in the 360dF range, you need an oil cooler, or a bigger one, or more than one, or better air ducting to the one(s) you have.

260dF OK, 360dF and bad thing happen.

Yes, I understand. What "bad things"? Please replies should be backed by some form of documentation, study, article, etc.

I am compiling a stack of "proof" vs hearsay or speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back