Lubeguard Red in T-IV or DW-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Put in 3.5 quarts T-IV, 1/2 qt Lubegard.

LXE is sold in 10 oz bottles (1oz LXE for 1Qt of ATF) where did you get 1/2Q (16oz) bottle
mad.gif

You are correct. I put in a 10oz bottle, not 16 oz. I pulled out 4 qts of old ATF and replaced with 118 oz of T-IV and 10 oz of Lubegard.

I've never found a transmission dipstick to be accurate, except for Honda, which says to check the ATF with the car shut off.

So in your case, get a bucket with measuring lines (available at Home Depot/Lowes or any hardware store) and simply refill with the same amount you drained.

That works in the right order? That is, if I’m draining from the transmission to cooler line, but filling the top of the transmission, there is minimal mixing? It would have to work that the cooler to transmission line goes to the pan first

Unless you have just purchased a used vehicle with an unknown history, 30k or so ATF and filter changes should be sufficient and no additive is needed.

If you have verfied or suspect your transmission may have varnish buildup in the valving and actuators, then LubeGard Red may be indicated.

Otherwise, adding LRG is just a "feelgood" thingy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What's your basis to add it to a modern fluid like T-IV?

Not sure how modern it is. Maybe compared to an older MB's atf it's modern. It's not a full-syn atf either as mentioned. There seems to be many benefits by using it. The info on the Amazon ad sounds promising. LINK

I remember years ago you bought some and offered it for free on here. Apparently, not seeing a need for it.
smile.gif

Oh, I'm a fan of LG products. And if I was running dex III or the D/M fluid offered in its place now, I'd run it. I do have it in my MBs for that reason. I run their bio tech moly add in our engines at a reduced dose.

Dunno about offering any for free on here. I think I came upon (was given) some friction modifier type at one point that I had no use for...

I DO run LG red in my D/M stuff. I don't run it with Dex VI in my truck. I don't run it with DW-1 in the Honda.

It was genuine curiosity regarding the T-IV.

There actually was a slight change in shift feel, for the better. History? not sure. did 3 drain-and-fills since I got it 3 months ago at 104,512 miles. the first drain wasn't brown, but the second and third were much more red. Based on the first 75 miles after Lubeguard, it does make a difference. You know how a tranny shifts RIGHT after a drain/fill? I mean the first 10 miles? its been like that for 2 days.

This conversation was very helpful for other reasons, too; I know feel good about abandoning DW-1 for a complete change over to high mileage (or regular) TransMax in my Ody.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew1987
That works in the right order? That is, if I’m draining from the transmission to cooler line, but filling the top of the transmission, there is minimal mixing? It would have to work that the cooler to transmission line goes to the pan first

Can anyone speak to this? I just am not sure the "route" of the fluid... I am speaking of the 5ECT in an 09 Odyssey but transmissions in general probably follow a similar "path" of fluid. Obviously draining from the cooler-to-trans line and filling the dipstick/fill plug wouldn't work if the new fluid wend to the cooler before the rest of the transmission. Maybe this is common sense to a transmission builder but I have yet to go down that road - but its inevitable I will before 2020 lol

Lubeguard Red is an awesome product and can be used with ANY fluid as a protectant and supplement. I use it in EVERY auto trans that I service, rebuild and own! It truly is a great additive! Use it with confidence in all your AT's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back