Lubegard universal power steering fluid for Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used Lubegard universal power steering fluid in a Honda? Im doing the pre-winter maintenance on my 2002 Honda CR-V and was thinking about using it since my dealer raised the price on psf again and it's nearly $10 a bottle now
mad.gif

Wow, your dealer is hosing you! There are sources on eBay for a more reasonable price. I paid $3.31/bottle thru my dealer wholesale acct yesterday.

$10 a bottle? Critic is right your getting hosed, $6 just last week. I wouldn't use anything in a Honda other than OE fluid, Lubeguard makes good product but the Honda PS system is as finicky (read as easy to break and big $$$ to repair) as they get. .

I have used preston HONDA PS fluid for over 3 years on two accords ( 98 and 02) never had issue the PS system is as smooth as it has ever been.

You can get those from walmart between 2-3 bucks !!

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
I have used preston HONDA PS fluid for over 3 years on two accords ( 98 and 02) never had issue the PS system is as smooth as it has ever been.

Yep that's ok i should have said meets OE spec, not some universal.

Originally Posted By: stchman
From what I have heard, you should only use Honda power steering fluid in a Honda.

$24 for 4 bottles shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GENUINE-PO...2fe&vxp=mtr

Honda uses a specific viscosity for their fluid, this is made to that spec. Thats all that matters, if its not as superior you can flush it as your heart desires, this stuff is so cheap!

I flush mine every 2 years as cheap insurance.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

Yep that's ok i should have said meets OE spec, not some universal.

That is why I capitalized HONDA in the name of the product, maybe should have been more clear that is MADE for honda.

Thanks guys. I agree that $10 a bottle from the Honda dealer is a rip off which is why I was looking for alternatives. I figured since I've had good luck using Lubegards transmission products that maybe their psf would be a good choice. Anyone have any actual experience with the Lubegard psf?

Honda PSF:

Appearance Lt. Pale
Flash, COC, Deg F. 355
Pour Point, Deg F. -40
Viscosity, cSt at 40 C, 53.75, at 100 C, 11.34
Viscosity Index MIN 205
Viscosity, Brookfield cP @ -40C < 64000
Oxidation Stability, D-2272 > 200 minutes
Copper Corrosion 3A Max.
Zn Content, ppm. 1500
P Content, ppm. 1300
Mg Content, ppm 580
Ca Content, ppm 220
TBN, ASTM D-4739 5.0

As you can see, the kinematic viscosity of the Honda fluid is 11.3 cSt, an SAE 30 grade.

The viscosity of the LubeGard PSF is 7.5 cSt.

The Prestone Asian PSF is closest in viscosity and additive makeup to the Honda PSF:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3850120/Prestone_Asian_PSF#Post3850120

Last edited:
There are few specific fluids for Honda vehicles, PSF is 1 of them, another one is CVT fluid. Aftermarket is okay as long as it is specific for Honda. When I had 1991 Accord I used Preston PSF for Honda without problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back