Low pressure loads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commercial American-made mass market ammo(Winchester White Box, Federal American Eagle, etc) tends to be loaded just on the edge of where most semi-autos will reliably cycle with it. I'd shoot that and not worry about it. If you're concerned about pressure, just stay away from European stuff(Fiocchi, S&B, Herters brass, etc) as they tend to be loaded closer to cartridge max for a given caliber.

In the 'teens S&W and Colt metallurgy was as good as you'll find from anyone from that era. The Colt New Service frame is also absolutely massive and very much overbuilt for 45 ACP. As others said, I wouldn't worry about it.

This is also a good excuse to get into reloading
smile.gif
. Since I don't load 45 ACP I'll refrain from specifics, but if you want to go with minimum pressure and don't mind the firing line smelling like a litter box Trail Boss powder can be great. Bullseye is also the classic choice for light loads.

On the light load thing-one other potential issue is sqibs, or bullets that don't make it completely out of the barrel. They can cause problems when you fire a second round behind them, although admittedly in a low pressure round you'll often just get a bulged barrel instead of a kaboom. I've had exactly one squib-it was a 32 S&W Long shot out of an old I frame S&W. I thought it felt "soft", then looked at the gun and saw the bullet pointing out the end of the barrel. I learned my less that day on that cartridge-the powder weights are so and have such a narrow "safe" range that it's really not a good idea to use a powder thrower. When I reload it, I generally weigh every charge. I shoot so little of it, though, that I usually just buy it.

Well, to follow up, I got my M1917 and 15-3 to the range today. Got some syntech ammo for the 1917 due to the claims of reduced friction and heat. Still want to be as nice to it as possible. Shot Remington .38spl in the 15-3.

Stupidly I forgot my half moon clips for the M1917. Oh well. There was a decent continuous tailwind and a pretty regular but sporadic set of gusts. Someplace I read that not using clips could affect accuracy but it wasn't going to make a difference.

Set the target just a little past the 15 yd mark as I was lazy and there was already a good hole in the dirt. Shot about 50/50 SA and DA.

Both guns will outshoot my skills. I will be interested to fire them at an indoor range at slightly closer distance to see just what they can do.

Only interesting thing to report is that I can see what I'd call a spark fly out to the side with each fire of the 15-3. The firing pin on the hammer is a bit loose; it isn't on the M1917. Fires reliably, and this happens regardless of SA or DA. Should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back