Love the free scanner tests at Auto Parts stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
I do my own but you have to be careful with free scans at parts stores, many times the code does not get to the root of the problem and you can end up buying parts you don't need and in many cases are not returnable.
These monkeys see an O2 code and the next thing you know the guy is walking out with a new O2 as an example.

A good rule of thumb is use the info they give you as a starting point for further diagnosis, do not buy any parts based on their recommendation unless its clearly defective eg broken connector of burned.
I had a Nissan Z with $600 of new sensors in it when it was just a loose hose.

That is what I tell customers that walk in with codes. They all tell me I don't know what I am talking about and the AZ counter person said the insufficient EGR flow code needs an EGR valve and a DPFE doesn't exist.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Autozone as a ASE cert program, I would trust them with a scan tool. lol.

Daresay they do, but I'm not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Trav
I do my own but you have to be careful with free scans at parts stores, many times the code does not get to the root of the problem and you can end up buying parts you don't need and in many cases are not returnable.
These monkeys see an O2 code and the next thing you know the guy is walking out with a new O2 as an example.

A good rule of thumb is use the info they give you as a starting point for further diagnosis, do not buy any parts based on their recommendation unless its clearly defective eg broken connector of burned.
I had a Nissan Z with $600 of new sensors in it when it was just a loose hose.

That is what I tell customers that walk in with codes. They all tell me I don't know what I am talking about and the AZ counter person said the insufficient EGR flow code needs an EGR valve and a DPFE doesn't exist.

I'd have to look through my notes to find the code, but the one I was getting 6 weeks ago that pointed to tranny issues certainly did not say "replace valve body" or anything like that...think it said something about a clutch. I did a search on the code along with Forester and everybody I could find had their CVT valve bodies replaced, so I wasn't surprised when the Subaru dealer came back with that repair. Think the other code was basically just a request to turn the CEL on.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Interesting. I have never heard of these things.

That's a nice setup to have the dials displayed with the phone so close to the driver.
I was looking at buying one of those mounts that stuck into a climate control port, but her car had round ones and lots of people said their phones fell out of those.

I have also used Torque in plotting mode, you can set it up to show boost or whatever on a scrolling plot with the last 30 seconds or whatever displayed. I was curious about my peak boost and didn't want to have to be staring at the phone while I was flying up a convenient nearby hill to try to max out the turbo.

Once again, getting ABS/SRS codes on $10-$20 budget is not yet happening. That nice picture of dials and gauges only applies to standard OBD2 engine codes.

I have an Innova 3160 that can do ABS and SRS codes. Working at Napa, I'd scan customer's cars all the time, but we have only the cheapest and most basic piece of junk scanner ever, which is part of the reason I bought my own. I'd tell customers what the code was and list a few things that MIGHT be the problem, but I would never say "____ is definitely your problem and you need to buy a ____." I would say something like "It could be ___ or ____ or ____, or it could be something else; you'll have to have a shop diagnose it further."

Quote:
I have an Innova 3160 that can do ABS and SRS codes.

If I remember correctly, it only does it for select few domestic makes of cars.

I have the Carly app and wi-fi dongle as well as a Foxwell NT510(yes, I'm a tool geek). That said, to me it's worth it since the tools can read the BMW/Mini fault codes and allow re-coding, registering and resetting various modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back