Lost Windows 10 Due to Automatic Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dell laptop came with Windows 10 with the "automatic mandatory updates". It updates a lot it seems. Just this past week it did another automatic update and it wiped everything off my computer. It also happened to other people we know. It appears that this update does not play nice with certain Intel processors and Toshiba computers also I believe. Luckily my wife is really good when it comes to computers. She was able to find the problem and reload Windows 10 and other programs, though I don't think it is all of them that got wiped out. She then found a way to disable the automatic Windows 10 updates, so now we can choose which ones we want.

Whimsey

In today's world, it isn't if you will have computer issues and loose everything but "when"!

Always have a backup in place or system image.

display_large_2x.jpg

Happened to my HP Pavilion weekend before last; I'm not techie so it cost me 3 hours of in home tech time to get it back to somewhat like it was!! The Tech said I was 4th person is past two days that he had done, and his own lap top at home was blown and he couldn't fix it!!

He didn't mentioned anything about saving...I'll have to fig out how; nor did he mention Linux?...prob keeps him busy with the issues, wouldn't want us non-techs getting along without him!

We have a Windows 10 in place upgrade going on at work on our desktop and laptop machines with docking stations. So far 50% of the machines that were "upgraded" didn't make it through the operation at all. One is in a continuous decryption loop that never resolves, two others have a black screen of death reporting no bootable files found. 3 machines made it through the upgrade alright but have other issues that weren't present previously on Windows 7. Everyone flocks to the last few remaining Windows 7 machines left in the workspace.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
We have a Windows 10 in place upgrade going on at work on our desktop and laptop machines with docking stations. So far 50% of the machines that were "upgraded" didn't make it through the operation at all. One is in a continuous decryption loop that never resolves, two others have a black screen of death reporting no bootable files found. 3 machines made it through the upgrade alright but have other issues that weren't present previously on Windows 7. Everyone flocks to the last few remaining Windows 7 machines left in the workspace.

Wow your employer is doing in place upgrades on existing hardware? With bitlocker?

I prefer putting new gold images from PXE on equipment and never doing in place upgrades on anything corporate. What a silly solution, don't tell me they are walking around from computer to computer with a DVD doing the upgrade are they?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
With A holes like Billy Gates around you'd better have a system backup!

He's not really in the picture anymore. In fact one could say that Gates was keeping the OS decent.

The current CEO Satya Nadella is the Mastermind behind Windows 10. You can thank him for all the privacy intrusion, bloat, and forced updates.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
With A holes like Billy Gates around you'd better have a system backup!

It was those mean Russians,,,lol

I guess I need to not use my 1979 lawnboy at 32 to 1. I have it leaned out to run an hour and a half on one tank of fuel. Does that help? Or should I get out my 1956 lawnboy, it runs 16 to one, and still runs. I use it once or twice a year when the mosquitoes get bad

Rod

I just went through this. I haven't updated my laptop in two years so I let it do it's thing. On startup the registry and drivers were screwed up beyond repair - did a fresh install and all is well now but of course I can't find my Office registry key.

Fun stuff.

Happened to me too last week. Windows said to install an update, kept putting it off. Finally installed it, booted up and I got stuck in a boot loop.

When I went to roll back, it left me on a black desktop with nothing and everything broken (can't run any tasks, can't do anything).

I keep my OS installation on a separate drive and on a separate partition on that drive so I didn't have to back anything up. Just blew away the partition and re-installed Windows 10. Took me on a detour of a few hours having to re-install all of the drivers and games and stuff I had installed before.

First time ever an update for Windows blew it up. I was shocked, I usually treat them as trivial things. I still prefer OS X and Linux in every way (especially for work). If it wasn't for gaming I wouldn't even be using Windows.

If it is your data you're worried about, I highly, highly suggest using a live Linux USB stick to boot from, mount your Windows HDD or SSD and try to get an external drive to copy your data to, should you be able to access it.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
display_large_2x.jpg

Funny that you should post this. My wife's Mac Book Pro died, as in wouldn't turn on at all. Had to take it to the an apple repair center. They couldn't fix it and had to send it off. Well they could but said it would be faster to send it off than have to order parts as needed to fix it. we dropped it off on a Tuesday and got it back on that Friday.

So what I'm saying is, just because you get a Mac doesn't mean you will not have issues. It happens to them all.

The main reason we purchased a Mac is to avoid problems but as you can see that didn't work out well for us. Luckly they were able to image the hard drive and put it back to the way it was when we dropped it off. We also paid for Apple Care so it only cost us %50 for them to do the disc image.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

Wow your employer is doing in place upgrades on existing hardware? With bitlocker?

I prefer putting new gold images from PXE on equipment and never doing in place upgrades on anything corporate. What a silly solution, don't tell me they are walking around from computer to computer with a DVD doing the upgrade are they?

The upgrades were done remotely. The decryption started after a 7 day countdown at which time the machine attempts to upgrade itself which as stated was about a 50% success rate. The machines that died were fixed by field services by reimaging the machines likely with a disc if I had to guess. So far only one of the 3 dead machines has been brought back to life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back