Lost my mind, about to buy Genesis Coupe 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will get some baby seat picks in a day or two.

Spec: 3.8 (base). Grey leather bolsters/trim with cloth inserts. A few extra dealer add-ons (for "free"). Manual. Duh. Grey was my first choice for the color.

Wife is 5'8". We test drove it for about 100 miles (so of the 400 on the odo, 100 were mine). She rides well in the back sitting behind me. Baby is behind the passenger seat. She is fine in front of the carseat but the issue is how upright the seat is depending on the legroom allotted. It took a while to find the sweet-spot.

I carried about six convertible seats back and forth. Some are definately better than others. I think I broke a vertebrae carrying a 30lb Britax.

Craziest things just happened in my parking lot. A MR2 Spyder and a Genesis Coupe (prior facelift) were both outside my office. Neither vehicle was mine. Crazy. It is not like these cars are anywhere as popular. I know the production run of the MR2 was only 21K over 6 years in the states.

Hydraulic power steering??! I thought most if not all new cars are all electric....interesting

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Wife is 5'8". We test drove it for about 100 miles (so of the 400 on the odo, 100 were mine). She rides well in the back sitting behind me. Baby is behind the passenger seat.

crazy2.gif
lol.gif

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Steering is good. I know that when a lot of the reviews came out in 2013, it was a bit in the middle. Good but not the best. Now with a lot of the electric items out, it is great!

The TCS and ESC is excessive in normal mode. I had to go up a hill with a turn/bump/bank. The car detected wheel slip to it killed the throttle when I was letting out the clutch. Stalled out. $%^&*&^%$#$%^&*&^%$#$%^&*&^%$#$* Anyway, the "OFF" button is a real "OFF" button.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Hehe... we have the 30lbs Britax as well in both our vehicles. We don't typically move them, so the weight isn't really an issue.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Steering is good. I know that when a lot of the reviews came out in 2013, it was a bit in the middle. Good but not the best. Now with a lot of the electric items out, it is great!

The TCS and ESC is excessive in normal mode. I had to go up a hill with a turn/bump/bank. The car detected wheel slip to it killed the throttle when I was letting out the clutch. Stalled out. $%^&*&^%$#$%^&*&^%$#$%^&*&^%$#$* Anyway, the "OFF" button is a real "OFF" button.
laugh.gif

Wow, that's a bit strange? The TC on the Focus seems like its tuned for the manual, and allows reasonable wheel spin in 1st to prevent stalling, but is pretty sensitive in the rest of the gears. Maybe there is a reflash for the TC?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Wow, that's a bit strange? The TC on the Focus seems like its tuned for the manual, and allows reasonable wheel spin in 1st to prevent stalling, but is pretty sensitive in the rest of the gears. Maybe there is a reflash for the TC?

Yeah, it is a common complaint with the GC. Regular "On" model is the super-nanny. Cuts the throttle as soon as there is a slip.

There is a 50/50 mode that disengages the throttle limiter but keeps stability control via the brakes. Then there is the 100% off. The 50/50 mode is very good but you have to reset it every time you start the car. It is a easy one touch button and the full-off is to hold the button 3 seconds. I can live with that. I rather have an aggressive TCS/ESC that has a full off than a "off" button in name only.

I really like that color. The rep at Tire Rack who coordinates club autocross events has that exact car and it's quite handsome in that gray.

Congratulations on the purchase. Now stop posting and go drive it!

Congrats on the new purchase, many moons of enjoyable using.
about the 30lb carseat, either leave one in place, or do very UN-sudden moves.

you are the only one that can tell useful/not, but comparing to others, you did LOTS OF RESEARCH, which i commend you for.

just don't blame the kid for the spilled milk/juice/cherios. i think they make protectors for that (hint, hint) and also back seat protectors (hint, hint)

i think historically, hyundai filters can be bought in bulk at good prices (sometimes at the dealer)

do you like the current rubber or you plan changes? how about winter time?

I did not lose my mind... I never had it to begin with.

IMAG10321_zpszx8ulyxj.jpg

Pulled the trigger and grabbed a Gen Coupe last night after getting a big discount. It was an unsold 2015 w/ 400 miles on it (a lot still out there). I basically worked them over on the depreciation hit, VW eagerness, and a few 1-5K CPO Ultimates in the area asking with 5 grand off. Not as much room to play with the base, but I definitely got it discounted. Geeking out about it BITOG style now. What pushed me into pulling the trigger is odd:

Yesterday, I had to drop off the old subaru at a shop for work, and in the new subaru, my knees were rubbing the dash when I sit in front of the carseat. If I am not going to be uncomfortable in a Outback with a car seat behind me, I might as well deal with two doors and get what I like. Mrs gave me her blessing. She says it is "me".

The back seat in the GC is usable and at 6'3", in my normal driving position (which is far back and low), I can still squeeze back there... not comfortable but I could do 30 mins. I just don't work with the headroom. I think it is more usable that some give it credit for.

However, this might be what folks might be interested in... Holy [censored], I can use 5w30 or 10w30 and it only has to be SM!!!!! Dexos can go drive a 'Maro up a tree! Heck yeah. My stash is still good!!!!

IMAG10351_zpsreldtajf.jpg

IMAG10361_zpsk6wz7i09.jpg

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Yeah, it is a common complaint with the GC. Regular "On" model is the super-nanny. Cuts the throttle as soon as there is a slip.

There is a 50/50 mode that disengages the throttle limiter but keeps stability control via the brakes. Then there is the 100% off. The 50/50 mode is very good but you have to reset it every time you start the car. It is a easy one touch button and the full-off is to hold the button 3 seconds. I can live with that. I rather have an aggressive TCS/ESC that has a full off than a "off" button in name only.

Sounds even more intrusive than the TC on my wife's Charger, which I find a bit annoying. The SRT programming is much more generous and you can lay a good patch/get a bit sketchy before it steps in.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Congrats on the new purchase, many moons of enjoyable using.
about the 30lb carseat, either leave one in place, or do very UN-sudden moves.

you are the only one that can tell useful/not, but comparing to others, you did LOTS OF RESEARCH, which i commend you for.

just don't blame the kid for the spilled milk/juice/cherios. i think they make protectors for that (hint, hint) and also back seat protectors (hint, hint)

i think historically, hyundai filters can be bought in bulk at good prices (sometimes at the dealer)

do you like the current rubber or you plan changes? how about winter time?

Yeah, the whole car is going to be bathed in scotchguard and the rear of the seat has nice thick plastic backing with the "map" net. I think I am going to line it with newspapers.
smile.gif

The Potenza are "ok". I had them on the MR2 at first, decent grip but horrible treadlife. They are not as good as the Michelins PSS or Dunlop Direzza (were fantastic on the MR2, especially the wet... but ride suffered a lot after a while). Like will run out the tire and go with the PSS

Winter tires are likely. I am a no-such-thing-as-asnow-day "critical" employee so that is why we have a subaru w/ chains/winter tires. Actually, my job is often to drive in the snow/ice as an emergency transporter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Sounds even more intrusive than the TC on my wife's Charger, which I find a bit annoying. The SRT programming is much more generous and you can lay a good patch/get a bit sketchy before it steps in.

Ditto for my 2er; in Sport+ you can practically do a burnout...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I love how the condescension just DRIPS off every word!

Exactly!

And deservedly so.

Those who unabashedly and publicly revel in their own infantile self gratification deserve it.

A small coupe...not the mid sizers some of us recall from our own youth... as a family hauler for an 11 month old screams self absorbed. Rather than announce his future academic credentials, the OP would do well to learn the rudiments of adulthood.

*Driiiiiiiiiiiiiip*

Judgement day! How nice we have the ultra intelligent here to regulate our unruly behavior! Noey, go jump in a lake and bathe in your patronizing attitude. Imagining you are the smartest person in the room rarely reveals an intelligence, seems to reveal something a bit different.

Futuredoc, drive what you want. If you and your family appreciate it, more power to ya!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Ditto for my 2er; in Sport+ you can practically do a burnout...
thumbsup2.gif

That's precisely why Overkill should run, not walk, to his local Diablosport dealer and get an aftermarket tune for that Mopar!

Originally Posted By: Noey

Exactly!

And deservedly so.

Those who unabashedly and publicly revel in their own infantile self gratification deserve it.

A small coupe...not the mid sizers some of us recall from our own youth... as a family hauler for an 11 month old screams self absorbed. Rather than announce his future academic credentials, the OP would do well to learn the rudiments of adulthood.

*Driiiiiiiiiiiiiip*

You did read that he has a modern 2014 family hauler and this was a secondary vehicle for primarily single occupant use and only as a secondary vehicle for family hauling?

Exactly!

And deservedly so.

*Driiiiiiiiiiiiiip*

Yeah, because a Mustang and a Hyundai Excel are "mid-size". Smoke another doobie, dude!

Originally Posted By: thr_wedge

Exactly!

And deservedly so.

*Driiiiiiiiiiiiiip*

You did read that he has a modern 2014 family hauler and this was a secondary vehicle for primarily single occupant use and only as a secondary vehicle for family hauling?

Pretty sure this is a tertiary vehicle as he also seems to have the MR2 Spyder. Not my cup of tea, but nice regardless.

And yes, I also appreciate OP's willingness to go with what makes him happy. Far too often you hear of the gearhead (not to be confused with GHT mind you) who had to give up all of his toys to pacify his families wants with total disregard to his own interests.

If he can afford to keep his toys and keep his family happy, more power to him!

Congrats on the new car, enjoy it.
thumbsup2.gif

Now, when your child is a little bit older, like 2+, strap him/her (I did not get if you have a son or a daughter) really tight in the seat and go out and hit some bends. I'm pretty sure he/she will love it.
I do this sometimes in our Mazda 3, which is pretty nimble and more than enough for public streets as far as corners are concerned, and my kids simply love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back