Looking to maybe change oils....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back to look and I noticed that as well. My vehicle is an ‘01. I doubt there is any major issue but I do wonder why they specify that. Good catch.

Cranks nice and fast, just a slight delay in firing up. When it’s warm, no problem. Plugs, wires, etc is all good. Connections are good.

If it cranks over fast, the oil is not the issue. 5w30 should be fine in Missouri. I live in northern NY and have had vehicles start ok at -20 with 5w30 conventional. Although I was glad I put 0w40 Amsoil in my car this year as it got to -30 a couple days and my car cranked and started great.

If you are cranking fast but having a delayed start, I would look at fuel pressure issues or injectors that are dirty and don't have a good spray pattern, also spark plugs. Maybe make sure the throttle body and idle air solenoid are clean.
You say plugs are good, but in a Toyota, make sure you run NGK or Denso plugs.

Start by dumping a bottle of GOOD fuel system cleaner in the tank. Additives with PEA, Amsoil PI(performance improver) Chevron Techron, or Gumout with Regain, or Redline fuel system cleaner.

Last edited:
Starting issues with age are almost always wiring related. Just rain water splash over the years will get into all the crimped cable ends and start crevice corrosion. So they become semi-conductors loosing 0.3V at each junction.

Just make up some new ground cables. I'll bet the one from the battery to the engine block has never been touched on the engine end ...

Crimped and soldered lugs on nice clean bolts with some Never Seize and good star washers. One from the Bat (-) like normal and one from that clamp bolt to the alternator bracket (so the alternator has a known ground reference), and usually one from the engine to the firewall somewhere. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the way it fires right up
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back