Looking for recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I'm new to the forum and have to say I'm impressed with this site. Been surfing around for a while and it seems there is plenty of info to be found here!

Recently purchased a 2009 Chevy Malibu LT 2.4L and I'm looking for recommendations on what oil and filter brands to use.

I definitely want to stay in conventional oils for now. Would love to run a synthetic, but really can't be spending the extra cash right now. Driving habits lean more toward freeway driving with my daily (weekday) commute running about 50-60 miles round-trip. The shorter end of that tally involves much more city driving. ** Forgot to mention it's got approx. 41,000 miles on it right now. **

Also, if you have a suggestion on air filters I'd be glad to hear it.

All input is welcome and I look forward to sucking up all the info I can!

Last edited:
I'm sure the manual recommends something like a 5k oci with even conventional. If you do not keep the car till the end of its life about 150k+ you will not see the real benefit of running synthetic for its whole life, if you are going to keep it till it dies though, I would run M1 through it.

But any oil that meets the requirements stated in the owners manual will do fine in the 2.4L. personally I would go for something like PYB or Mobile 5000 or QS, and a Wix or Pureolator filter, just nor fram..

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't afford an extra $10-20 per year and go synthetic? But yet you have a 2009 mid size and can afford $10 in gas per day?

How many miles do you put on in a year, about 15k? That 2.4 is not DI (like the 2.4 in the Equinox and Terrain), so you could easily do 7.5k oil change intervals and only change the oil twice. With mostly hwy the OLM in the Malibu probably won't trip until 10k miles, and it is programmed for conventional.

Even without sales or rebates, you can buy oil (QSUD at Wallys) and a good filter (P1 or similar) for $25. That is cheaper than 5k oil changes using conventional at $18 or so (oil and filter), and it saves time and hassle. If you can wait for rebates and/or clearances, you can get synthetic oil changes for about $15 in supplies.

You'd benefit from the cold start properties of synthetic being in Michigan.

Well I guess I need to shop around more because what you mentioned is FAR cheaper than any synthetic oils I've seen. I've been to multiple stores in my area and every synthetic I've seen has been pretty much double what you're saying. Of course I haven't seen the QSUD anywhere so I guess I'll keep looking.

welcome2.gif

Well,running a conventional oil is right on track with your driving habits and by just following the oil life monitor (if equipped) will be fine.Otherwise 4k to 6k seems reasonable.Todays leading conventional oils are very good for the price ,although still getting higher,and good deals/sales are still to be found.

For filters ,everyone has their favorites ,mine happens to be whatever is on sale.I can't afford brand loyalty right now,but if I can find Purolators on sale thats a bonus for me.Taken into account that I have a very tolerant old school 350sb, I still wont use E-core oil filters.

For the transmission, fluid/filter changes are the best insurance going .
I take the GM's recommendation and cut it in half ,but thats me ,everyone will say something alittle different based on their own comfort level and vehicle use.Again welcome and make use of the search options ,it's a real time saver.

With all that highway driving, you should be good to go with a synthetic, Quaker State Ultimate Durability is an OK synthetic oil....just check your owner's manual for the proper specs and oil weight, AFAIK: any 5W-30 or 0W-30 that meets Oil GM standard GM6094M will work well in that vehicle.

No matter what oil you choose, make sure it meets that GM spec....

The synthetic would pay off in the long run, being able to run 8-10k OCIs, vs. 4-5k OCIs with conventional....if you DO go the synthetic route, go with the upgraded filter too, not the "base line" cheap filter.....as you want the filter to last the OCI
smile.gif

I like Mobil oil. Other good choices for cold climate are Motorcraft, Tropartic, 76, Valvoline.
Motorcraft and wix oil filters.
And stp air filters.

Keep the car, underbody and wheel wells clean in winter.

Last edited:
Mobil Super 5000 is inexpensive and has been getting
excellent reports by some lately. Use the 5w30 flavor
along with an ACDelco oil filter, and your Chevy will be
good for 5k mi. Fram makes decent air filters.

Agree with above posters, all that highway use is perfect for a synthetic and extended OCI's.

But being a 2009 you likely still have some warranty left, and you did say you were looking to use conventional.

When I'm not using a syn I tend to go with Pennzoil. Use that and change when your OLM gets down to 10-15%.

That engine will last forever on that routine.

Next things you need to plan is maintenance on the transmission, brake fluid etc.

That's a great car you got, should last you a looooong time
smile.gif
Best of luck with it.

Change oil according to the Oil Life Monitor. It assumes use of conventional oil, so there is no problem with conventional.

Originally Posted By: TontoJ
Well I guess I need to shop around more because what you mentioned is FAR cheaper than any synthetic oils I've seen. I've been to multiple stores in my area and every synthetic I've seen has been pretty much double what you're saying. Of course I haven't seen the QSUD anywhere so I guess I'll keep looking.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability is $19.53 regular price for 5 qts at Walmart. That along with a P1 filter from K-Mart, or even an AC Delco or Motorcraft that might fit from Walmart, would be about $25. For $5 more you can have your choice of just about any synthetic you want at Walmart (PP, M1, Synpower are all $25 or under for 5 qts regular price). Their Supertech synthetic for about $18.50 is a good oil as well.

QSUD is a good oil that would last you easily 7-8k miles in that engine with those driving habits. SOPUS (who makes Pennzoil, Shell, and Quaker State products) has rebates occasionally. I got 5 qts of QSUD for $8.50 (when Wallys had it for $18.50, has since raised in price about a dollar) last fall after the $10 rebate. I got 50 qts of Synpower last fall for about $2 per quart by combining manufacturer MIRs with sales at Oreillys.

For deals/sales check out the "rebates/sales/etc" forum on this site.

This car should have GM's well-proven OLM.
Change the oil as you choose, reset it, and use it as your primary guide for when to change the oil.
I would use a syn, but the OLM is validated with an SM (for an '09) 5W-30.
Put fresh oil in it, use whatever SM 5W-30 you like and trust the OLM for drain intervals.
You could use M1 AFE 0W-30.
If you belive XOM's numbers, the fuel savings will pay for the oil over an OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back