looking for aux transmission filter solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a 06 Chevy Express 2500, with a 4.8 and 4L80E transmission. I'm looking for an aux filter solution for the transmission, so I won't have to drop the pan and replace the factory filter.

Chevy did away with the drain plug on these transmissions and I'm done with balancing piping hot trans pan on my hand, while removing 16 or so bolts. Fluid replacement will be done via disconnected hose from the factory cooler.

So basically I need a filter solution that will do all the filtering from now on and is easily accessible/ replaceable. Price is somewhat of a concern, but it has to be a high quality setup, because this van is my bread and butter.

I also have added already a Tru-Cool LPD transmission cooler, if that matters. I'm just a little worried about the pressure drop with all these add-ons ( filter and cooler ).

Thanks is advance.

Surprised nobody has suggested a Magnefine in-line filter yet. It's the transmission filter du juor on this board. Buy from the banner ad at the top of the ATF section, the vendor is about the cheapest at $16+shipping, and customer service/shipping rocks. It can be added in-line with your existing Tru-Cool aux cooler. Pressure drop is negligible. I have a Magnefine after a B&M aux cooler on the Buick, and no problems to report after 20k miles like that. Car has 95k miles on it currently.

If you're looking for a bypass filter, I've got nothing.

Hope this helps!

Magnefine comes to mind first... But I just bought a new pan that used the same OE filter but had a drain and 2 quart extra capacity.

I'd go with a better pan first. Sooner or later you will want to change that filter.

I dont understand why ATs don't just have a spin on filter like the engine oil...

Permacool

LFS 22825 Racor

With the Permacool, use can use almost any sized 3/4-16 threaded oil filter. For better filtration, you can use 'boutique' oil filters. And, add a Filtermag or magnets for more magnetic filtering.

Racor media is by far the best. But, for $30 replacement vs. $10 for the Permacool. And, it'll take a couple magnets too.

Don't worry about pressure drop. Most of the ATF flow through the cooler loop is wasted. So, losing a couple % is no big deal.

Either filter should have no problem going 30k.

Wow , you guys are quick
smile.gif

Here's some more specifics. I'm trying to change the AT fluid only once a year. In my case that's roughly 60K. Chevy says 100K for normal service and 50K for severe. Last I change the fluid at 65K interval and it looked pretty dark/ maroon.

As far as the factory filter clogging up - the van I had before this one was 01 model with the same transmission and I did drop the pan every time I changed the fluid. I never saw anything caught in that filter. The only thing that had anything on it was the little magnet on the bottom of the pan. It had some ultrafine metallic goo on it.

The Magnafine filter looks little light duty unless that would be in addition to the spin-on.

I want to avoid tapping the pan, so that would leave out any type of by-pass system out ( unless that is my only option to get 60K intervals )

Also it's delivery van, with about 60-70 stops per day, so the tranny gets pretty good workout. The last van went 352K on the original tranny and I expect this one to match it.

I'm running a Magnafine and a Trasko plumbed into the tranny cooler line. I can't remember exactly how I set it up right now and it's too cold outside to go have a look but it's been working fine like this since April of 2005.

A little info on my vehicle. I'm the original owner of my beloved 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan ES with the 3.8 motor. The vehicle now has 420K miles on it. Yes, 420k miles!! And that's on the original tranny and engine.

I can't believe it myself but after seeing that you have gotten well over 300K miles on your previous truck maybe me getting 420K miles on a family van that's driven almost all highway miles ins't such a big thing.

For years I had always wanted a bypass filter and finally, at 200K miles, I installed a Motor Guard bypass filter on the engine and for the transmission, I added the Magnafine and a Trasko spin on as a bypass filter. It was a bit of work, maybe even an obsession, but now, many miles later, I can tell you that it was worth all the time and effort to figure it out. And it was fun.

Well anyway, I hear what you are saying about the 16 bolts and I have the same issue with my van. I'm currently considering having a drain plug welded into the tranny pan so I can change out the fluid easier.

Since I installed the Magnafine and the Trasko over 220K miles ago, I haven't changed the factory trans filter. The last time I had the pan off it was still looking very clean.

I've been using toilet paper as the filtering media in the Trasko since it was installed. I try to change the tiolet paper in the Trasko about every 20K even if I don't do a pan drop. What I like about this setup is that I can take the Trasko apart and inspect the toilet paper to see if there is any debris in it.

And I can see how black it is from picking up clutch plate material, dirt, etc. It's usually very black, but the fluid always looks clean so I'm assuming that the Trasko is pulling a lot of junk out of the tranny fluid.

To replace the filter media in the Trasko, I have to cut down the size of normal toilet paper to make it work in the Trasko, but it's no big deal. I could buy the Trasko filter paper but it's about $10.00 per roll, toilet paper is cheap by comparison and then I can change the TP as ofetn as I like.

I've replaced the Magnafine about three or four times in 220K miles. The first one was cut apart after about 25K miles to see if I could see anything stuck to the magnet, but I really couldn't see much, nothing obvious like metal shavings. The next one I had on for about 75K miles and it's on the workbench waiting for me to cut it apart but I really don't feel I need to because I feel confident that it's working.

I probably didn't do a pan drop more than once every 50-75K miles for a while but lately, since I'm feeling like it can't be real that my tranny has lasted so long, I've been doing a pan drop about every 20K. I hope to be able to get to 500K miles on the original tranny. I know you probably think I'm nuts, but I never thought it would ever last as long as it has, I figured maybe 100K miles at best. I've been very pleased with this van to say the least. And I could go on...but I won't unless anyone wants to know. Again, I can't believe it myself.

So, in closing, I must give thanks to all on this forum because without the knowledge I've gained from all of you guys, I probably would not have been aware of the Magnafine or figured out how to do a bypass myself. All the miles on my vehicle are a testimony to the value of good filtration, good oil, proper care and all of the great info on this forum.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I dont understand why ATs don't just have a spin on filter like the engine oil...
Almost all Saturns have them.

Thanks unDummy,

I just went out to the shop and peeled off the label and was able to see the seam. I never knew!

So I put it in the chuck on the lathe and with a light turn of a pipe wrench, it unscrewed. Cool. I was able to see all of the super tiny shavings, almost a black silver mush all over the magnet. It was doing it's job that's for sure.

Now I feel even better about these Magnafine's because now that you've told us how to unscrew them, we are able to actually see and feel all of the nasty stuff it is pulling out of the trans fluid.

I had written the install date and mileage on it and it had been on since 2-20-8 and the mileage at time of install was 313,000. I just put on a new one at about 408,00 so that one went almost 100,000 miles.

I like being able to take it apart, thanks!

Last edited:
I also installed a remote oil filter bracket on the rad support along with an engine oil filter. Change the filter once a year and topup the oil. Seems to work fine and haven't had any trany trouble yet. Unit is plumbed through the trany cooler lines going into the rad.

On my 2005 GMC with the 4L60E, I was looking for easier service and better filtration. The first thing I did was install a Mag-Hytek pan. Then I started reading what some of the guys were doing on this site in terms of remote filtration.

Sometimes I think this site should come with a warning sign because the next thing I'm doing is ordering the Permacool remote adapter. The problem is that on their site they have a single filter and a dual filter remote. Now if a single is good, a dual is better right? So that gets ordered along with an auxiliary cooler.

Now once I have that installed, I read about installing a bypass filter for better filtation. Well the dual filter remote has an unused port on the incoming side to the filter, and the pan has an unused 1/8 inch pipe plug that is not being used, so why not! Bypass filter gets installed.

Now I have three one quart filters just for filtering the transmission fluid, but I'm reading about these Magnafine filters and realize that I only have one puny size magnet in the pan, So now I need to order three FilterMags to go onto the three filters I have!!!

I've got to stop reading these forums or the next thing I know I'll have the bed of the truck filled up with filters and such for the engine, transfer case, and rear axel............

Too funny. Bypass filter isn't really need in a transmission or your power steering. Its best for 'diesel motor oil' soot reduction.

For power steering I couldnt agree more, but in a heavily loaded transmission bypass filtration is about as good as it gets. Especially in modern units which can be sensative to smaller debris inside of the valve body and such. There are several papers out there on the topic, although related mostly to heavy duty trucks.

An old member here (olympic) eliminated transmission failures in his taxi fleet by adding amsoil bypass filters. He did a write up, but it's pretty old. Magnefines are great, but arent going to approach the level of filtration provided by a quality bypass setup.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I used a remote oil filter bracket with an engine oil filter for the trans filter.No problems yet.

+1

I used wix filter base #24764. and then what ever 3/4-16 oil filter floats your boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back