Looking for a heavy 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really want something that says 5w20 on the bottle, Redline 5w20. If you want something that's actually sold in stores, M1 HM

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
A heavy 5W-20? That would be 5W-30.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
A heavy 5W-20? That would be 5W-30.
A "heavy 5W-20" be near a light 10W-30, hot or cold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: tig1
Isn't that called a 30 wt?

No, why would it ?

Actually didn't you refer to M1 5-20 of the 1978 era as virtually a 5-30 wt oil? You have told us(me) that when I have mentioned that I used M1 5-20 in the 70's in engines calling for a 10-40 oil many times. A heavy 5-20.

Last edited:

No, why would it ?

Actually didn't you refer to M1 5-20 of the 1978 era as virtually a 5-30 wt oil? You have told us(me) that when I have mentioned that I used M1 5-20 in the 70's in engines calling for a 10-40 oil many times. A heavy 5-20.

The reference to M1 5w-20 from "back in the day" as well as Redline's current 5w-20 with respect to them being "almost a 30" is based on HTHS, where these oils have roughly the same HTHS (or extremely close) to the modern GF-5 5w-30's.

No, why would it ?

No, selective memory there tig1.

I have said that
* M1 5W20 back in the day likely had a 2.9 HTHS, just like the Redline product.
* that this is the "same" HTHS as an ILSAC 30.
* That the 10W40s of the time were woeful, and when they were trying to work out why, they discovered temporary (and permanent shear), and when they gave the XW-40s in the 0W, 5W, and 10W ranges an HTHS minimum, they gave it 2.9, same as the 30 grades....they were THAT hopeless.
* and therefore, when Mobil said that the 5W20 offered the same protection as a 10W40, they were telling the truth.
* You can't take the original M1 5W20 oil, and the 10W40s of the day to mean the same thing TODAY, which you have a bent to do.

I have NEVER said that the original 5W20 was "really" a 5W30...nor Redline...THAT is the statement made by CATERHAM, that Redline is REALLY a 30.

And again, you can't compare the viscometrics of the original M15W20 with the 0W20s of today in terms of HTHS...which you keep trying to do so as well.

Originally Posted By: klt1986
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I would surmise the OP needs a 20 for warranty purposes but isn't too keen on 20's. At least that is where I would be if asking that question.

Castrol would be a good place to start.

Ahhh, you are close! Vehicle is a 2011 Toyota Tundra 4wd with the 5.7L engine. Vehicle has been out of warranty for about a year now. OM calls for 5w-20 or 0w-20. I have been running mostly 5w-20 Mobil 1, PP, and Edge. Will be towing longer distances this spring and summer and will be traveling I-95 between VA and GA quite a bit. The OM does state, "an oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions". I wish the manual would have given a more specific viscosity recommendation, as I think a 5w-30 would offer more protection.

Scrap what you are originally asking, all 5w20's are close to each other as far as visc. Seams like maybe you should consider 0w30, and I have to say M1 is about as good as it gets. Either that or just drop one qrt of 5w30 to some 20 weights. My wife's Rav 4 loves PUP 5w30 btw, smooth as butter and it rattles on any 20 weight except for redline. If you want to stay with 20 weight go redline, but I would go with m1 0w30.

2.9 and 3.0. I said virtually, not "really".

You said "didn't you refer"...no I didn't...that's what I was correcting for the record.

2.9 and 3.0. I said virtually, not "really".

You said "didn't you refer"...no I didn't...that's what I was correcting for the record.

LOL!

Quote:
The OM does state, "an oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions".

The OM us not asking you to tabulate all know 20 grades and find the one with the highest viscosity when towing.

The OM is saying step it up to a 30 grade oil.

Almost every 'yota in Australia would be running 5W30 or 10W40, they do fine on those oils.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Quote:
The OM does state, "an oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions".

The OM us not asking you to tabulate all know 20 grades and find the one with the highest viscosity when towing.

The OM is saying step it up to a 30 grade oil.

Almost every 'yota in Australia would be running 5W30 or 10W40, they do fine on those oils.

I understand that but, are there any Tundra's with the 5.7L sold and operated in Australia? If so, I'd be curious what the OM recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back