Longacre vs. Proform Oil Filter Cutter

An oil filter cutter is one tool I do not own.

I am interested in buying my own and those two brands are being considered. Does anyone have experience with either (or both) brands?

Proform:
1650513055944.jpeg

Longacre:

1650513099392.jpeg

The handle on the Longacre is very comfortable to use and the knurling is sharp for grip but not uncomfortable. There are two positions for the bearings to accommodate more sizes. The cutting wheel is easy to change. I have one and it is effortless to use.

I have no experience with the Proform cutter.

My only method is, I use a hammer and chisel / yes, very crude.

ProformParts - looks like
1) larger bearings
2) two slots for better alignment of cutter block
3) larger diameter threaded rod

Look on YouTube to see if anyone did a review.
Always nice to see any product being used.

Last edited:
I have the Longacre oil filter cutter. I find that it is very smooth and requires minimal effort to cut open oil filters. I looked that there are no shavings made while cutting open filters.

I think the Proform cutter looks like it will do a nice job as well.

The Longacre looks easier to turn with oily hands. I don't own either, I use an old 2-4" pipe cutter similar to this one. With 4 cutting wheels it does a quick and clean job.
Edit: I paid less than $150 for mine, it is not a Ridgid, Toledo IIRC.

Edit: Added link to Toledo.

Last edited:
I have the Longacre cutter. Two spots for small or large diameter is handy. Very nice tool quality, easy to use. I have it set for the smaller filters for my Mazda.

The Longacre looks easier to turn with oily hands. I don't own either, I use an old 2-4" pipe cutter similar to this one. With 4 cutting wheels it does a quick and clean job.
Edit: I paid less than $150 for mine, it is not a Ridgid, Toledo IIRC.

Edit: Added link to Toledo.
Hinged like a steady rest on a lathe, that's slick!!

I have a Longacre; an older model with just the one position for the bearings. It works as advertised but won't accomodate the small Fram PH6017A on the Yamaha. Still on the original cutter.

cutter_reduced.jpg

No experience with the Proform.

The handle on the Longacre is very comfortable to use and the knurling is sharp for grip but not uncomfortable. There are two positions for the bearings to accommodate more sizes. The cutting wheel is easy to change. I have one and it is effortless to use.

I have no experience with the Proform cutter.

^ Yeah - That

Ordered the Proform one.

I had a $15 off coupon from AZ and a $20 gift card due to a previous mishap, so the price was right. AZ only sold Proform.

Back