Live on a sharp curve? Don't do this please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: philipp10
do you expect the homeowner to be sweeping the road for leaves or possibly sand too? You need to slow down....you are over driving your line of sight and your bikes ability to navigate such a sharp turn.

You clearly have low reading comprehension skills.

my point was, if your expecting a clean road...then your going to fast.

Drive/ride defensively. My clippings and leaves get sprayed in road but if motorcycle falls it is there fault. There is a stop(which they violated likely if doing more the 15 mph) and 20 mph speed limit.

I live on a highway, the strip next to the highway gets blown into the highway now because its hard to see when a vehicle is coming speeding down the road when I am mowing in the direction it would take to blow the clippings onto my property. Some people dont slow down or even move over, I swear I have had one purposely get as close to me as they could. There are a lot of enraged rednecks in big pickup trucks here and they do some ignorant things.

I have almost been hit twice when a vehicle has snuck up on me,and that was enough, now I mow in the direction that's safest for me, and that means I must ignorantly blow the clippings in the road and when I see a car approaching I get out of the way.

About half of my highway frontage I have to do this on, the other half I am able to approach it perpendicularly and avoid having a vehicle fly up on my, or blow grass into the road.

The other benefit is it makes all the trash that I cannot see easier to pick up.

'Merica, its a race to the bottom folks, every man for themselves.

There is a guy two roads over from me that has a big walk behind leaf blower. Every fall he blows all the leaves from his yard into the street. It creates a huge mess. Not sure why he does that, since he has woods on either side of his house he could direct them into.

I'll put it a different way. Your child just turned 18 and got their first motorcycle, against your wishes since you don't approve of bikes, but they're an adult and paid for it with their own earnings and no longer live at home. Do you prefer that property owners who live on the described curvy roads blow wet grass and leaves into the curve that your son or daughter is about to ride through? Or would you prefer that the property owner take into consideration the fact that excessive leaves and grass on the asphalt creates a road hazard and they have more consideration than to do that?

Anyone who says they'd don't care and it's their kids' own fault if they slip and crash on the stuff, is lying simply to defend the position they took in this thread. Or they're a really bad parent. And no saying "My child would complete MSF course(s) and they would never crash on a contaminated roadway ... "

As a lifelong Motorcyclist (since the age of 6, anyway), I'll say it would be nice if people were aware of the effects of their actions on others. Such as blowing stuff out onto a road.

Since that is something we simply can't count on, my advice is to ride well within your ability and the bike's capability, and ALWAYS expect the worst.

An example: Today I went for a ride on a road I've ridden probably a couple thousand times. I know that road very well. What I never know until I get to any particular stretch of road or blind corner, is the condition of that section of road at that moment in time. Today I came around a blind corner to see a recent rockfall across the road. I had adjusted my speed to that unknown possibility, so I had no problem negotiating the new hazard.

If you almost lost it, you were traveling too fast for your ability to handle the prevailing conditions. Most people crash on the street when they exceed their ability, not the capability of the bike. This may sound harsh, but it is almost always the case.

I always suggest advanced riding classes, trackdays, and even racing, to improve ones riding ability. Dirtbikes are also a great teacher of how to control a bike which is constantly losing traction at both contact patches.

Quote:
If you almost lost it, you were traveling too fast for your ability to handle the prevailing conditions. Most people crash on the street when they exceed their ability, not the capability of the bike. This may sound harsh, but it is almost always the case.

This.

And if you rode on that street hundreds of times, you get complacent and let your guard down .

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: bbhero

I had this happen after a snow event. Road dry as a bone. Two lane road. Coming up over a sharp hill going straight thank goodness at 62 mph...

Every two-lane road I know of in the USA has a speed limit of 55. You were breaking the law and have to live with the consequences if you messed up. You were going too fast for conditions and even if you were going 54 you could get a ticket

I’m with CT8

Lots of them are 60mph or faster all over the country, up to the posted speed it is up to the driver to determine what is safe.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I'll put it a different way. Your child just turned 18 and got their first motorcycle, against your wishes since you don't approve of bikes, but they're an adult and paid for it with their own earnings and no longer live at home. Do you prefer that property owners who live on the described curvy roads blow wet grass and leaves into the curve that your son or daughter is about to ride through? Or would you prefer that the property owner take into consideration the fact that excessive leaves and grass on the asphalt creates a road hazard and they have more consideration than to do that?

Anyone who says they'd don't care and it's their kids' own fault if they slip and crash on the stuff, is lying simply to defend the position they took in this thread. Or they're a really bad parent. And no saying "My child would complete MSF course(s) and they would never crash on a contaminated roadway ... "

Of course we would prefer the roads always be dry and clean....but it's not reality. Again, if you are over driving for the worst possible conditions, then your going to die at some point. The roads are not designed to be perfect and especially for a bike. Bikes riders need to learn to act they are a car. I once saw a crotch rocket take a right turn onto a very sharp curve. About 30 yards down from the turn was an entrance/exit for a lumber yard. This crotch rocket proceeded to accelerate at a very high rate around the corner just as a truck was pulling out of the lumber yard. There was no way the truck saw the cycle until he was coming at him at about 50 mph. The cycle was able to stop....barely and acted all incredulous. This a$$ was drive 20 mph over the limit AND came from no where so fast. I have no sympathy.....sorry....you need to SLOW DOWN.

Of course people shouldn't be blowing leaves and grass onto the road. But like today, we have a very strong wind. The leaves and possibly grass will be on the road. If you think they should not be there then perhaps you don't have the common sense to ride a bike at all.

Last edited:
Okay armchair quarterback who doesn't ride, please re-read all my posts and tell me where I said I was riding like MotoGP? "Pucker factor" is all I said. Have you ever been driving and encountered a situation that would make you uneasy with the possible effect on your car? Easily encountered in the normal course of motoring. Yet, now, you're an expert on motorcycling, and qualified to proclaim that I "don't have common sense to ride a bike at all".

None of anything I said was about expecting the road to be perfect all the time, the entire point of the post was in critique of the obnoxious personal practices of someone intentionally fouling the roadway when there is no reason to, other than their own laziness. Go back and re-read the thread title. "Live on a sharp curve? Don't do this" The very title of the thread refers to a particular Human Behavior, NOT to the chances of encountering various unexpected road conditions. "Don't do this" ... how hard is it to understand it was an observation on WHAT SOMEONE DID and not a dissertation on general expectations of road conditions. Concept of general expectations of road conditions was hatched within various replies, it was never any part of the original post. At least not to anyone literate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back