LIQUI MOLY High Performance Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
These engines and gearboxes aren't really picky on the viscosity of the oil (they are marketed on a lot of countries), but my guess is the thinner oils are more dictated by fuel economy measures than anything else.

What mileage does your car has? WD40 should at least make the gearstick move more easily (when I got the car mine wasn't sticking but was quite hard to move).

(what I meant by "crazy" is that they actually changed oil recommendation on a pretty old car, didn't expect that)

It has about 70k miles. Never had any serious problems till now. The most serious issue was the gearbox problem, which actually was caused by a worn spacer of the input axle. I had to get the transaxle opened in order to fix that.

Also many Lancers, including mine, had brake vibration issues.

That's a pretty low mileage for a worn part in a gearbox, bad luck
frown.gif

Knock on wood, mine is around 95k miles and still going strong.

As for the brakes, do you use genuine Mitsubishi pads ? I think TRW is the OEM for discs, but I don't know for pads.

Edit : also just curious, what oil filter do you use ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Popsy
That's a pretty low mileage for a worn part in a gearbox, bad luck
frown.gif

Knock on wood, mine is around 95k miles and still going strong.

As for the brakes, do you use genuine Mitsubishi pads ? I think TRW is the OEM for discs, but I don't know for pads.

Edit : also just curious, what oil filter do you use ?

Maybe bad luck or maybe bad design. I know s case of the same gearbox changed under warranty with only 12k - 20k miles.

I have used Ferodo and Brembo pads. The original discs were problematic. On the forum of the Greek Lancer club (which now is closed) the topic of brake juddering was going on for pages and pages. I then switched to EBC brake discs which also gave me vibrations, but this time after several years.

I use a MANN oil filter, by the way.

I would never say bad luck in this case, bad design ..... unlikely as someone says gear trains are dump systems.
I'm inclined to attribute the short component life strictly to recommended thinner oil in 75W80, vis-a-vis time proven thicker oils like 80W90 of SAE90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back